OP
OP
want2bsleepy

want2bsleepy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Biocube 29 as well. You really need a skimmer, it makes a HUGE difference. I do 2.5 gallon weekly water changes and still am dumping my skimmer cup daily. Coralife makes a great little skimmer that fits right in the 1st chamber of the cube, no need to mess around with trying to hang it on the back. Good luck!
We haven't been able to find a skimmer to fit, so I'll definitely tell my husband about the Coralife one! Thanks!

OP
OP
want2bsleepy

want2bsleepy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its possible, IME, that that the turbos died first and released toxins. In that small a vol that can be nasty.
it is possible, but I don't think so. We had them for about a week before they stopped moving. And our ammonia was just fine, so if they had all died and caused the crash the ammonia should be really high, right?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is possible, but I don't think so. We had them for about a week before they stopped moving. And our ammonia was just fine, so if they had all died and caused the crash the ammonia should be really high, right?
kinda, my though (spit ball) if one large one died, it releases funk besides ammoina.
with high bacteria (vodka) the ammoina would be absorbed.
keep in mind, there's is always ammoina in a tank, just at low levels under our testing. (food and poop rotting constantly)

so Im on the same though stream you are, what could have nuked the tank. turbo, nem, etc. I had a sponge colony die in my sump an lost a lot of corals. one fish a week or so later was a maybe. but 60gal of water.

whats in a turbo, im not sure.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We haven't been able to find a skimmer to fit, so I'll definitely tell my husband about the Coralife one! Thanks!

You misunderstand me, I am not saying there is anything wrong with HOB skimmers, just that on a Biocube it is easier to just put it right into the back chamber.

Got it. Me if i were to do a AIO cube again id go with a tunze compact filter or ony of the others made.
BUT a good point, carbon doing might be less effective with no skimmer, a skimmer doesn't pull out particulates well, but it does pull the bacterial waste out and a mech doesn't.. hmm.

the tunze 9001 might fit but you need to pull the magnets I think, the ghost might fit as well too.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You misunderstand me, I am not saying there is anything wrong with HOB skimmers, just that on a Biocube it is easier to just put it right into the back chamber.
Oh and I meant Hob aquaclear Mech filters , Ie skimmerless.

jrwoltman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
want2bsleepy,

I tore apart the back chambers a bit to modify the tank. I have an inTank media basket in the second chamber running chemipure elite and purigen. Check out inTank's website, they have an easy how to video. I also have Marine Pure media balls in the same chamber as the basket.

jrwoltman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:
OP
OP
want2bsleepy

want2bsleepy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a little video of the current state of the tank. Things have stabilized a bit. There is still hair algae, but it doesn't seam to be spreading. We added two Turbo snails and just got a beautiful Powder Blue Tang. The plan, according to my husband, is for him to hang in the biocube until he is big enough to join the crew in the 125, and hopefully eat some hair algae while in there.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The skimmer can only be used if you are running your tank rimless, right? No hood.

OP
OP
want2bsleepy

want2bsleepy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we found out that the anemones that we thought were RBTA's are actually Black Widow Anemones. That was a nice surprise! I sold a couple of them to get some cash for the upcoming MAMAX expo this Saturday.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 19 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back