29 Biocube Re-vamp

want2bsleepy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our poor, sad biocube has struggled it's whole life of 2 years. It has gone through every thing, including a crash, but has never looked good. It currently is a hair algae haven. I feel like we have slightly given up on it; it looks the worst it ever has. We are really good with larger tanks, our current 125 reef is doing fabulous!

The biocube consists of two large picani rocks, live sand, two clowns, three red BTA's (they keep splitting!), a 6 line wrasse, a royal grama, a sand sifter starfish, a serpent starfish, pulsing xenia, green star polyps, a sad zoanthid colony, a small spinney oyster, and an assortment of snails and small hermits. Everything is super happy in there and growing, except for the zoanthids who live on the shell of the oyster because the are getting overshadowed and covered with hair algae. Lots of coralline algae as well.

We've tried adding a blenny to help, but he was bullied to death by the 6 line and royal grama. We've also started vodka dosing, but having seen a change yet. We'd like to add a protein skimmer, but the biocube is too small in the back for one. We don't use the lid and light that came with the tank, we use a Kessil LED.

After some plotting and planning we are going to try to re-boot the biocube without a total take down. Our plans are to remove one of the two main rocks, both are covered in hair algae, and put in some new tonga rock. After a few weeks we will remove the second algae covered rock and replace it with more new tonga. We'll clean up any other hair algae to try to start with none in the tank.

If anyone out there has had any luck turning a yucky biocube around I would love to hear your thoughts! The project starts tonight. Here are some awful pics of the current state of the tank.

pic 1.jpg

pic 2.jpg

Michael Llabona

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have considered getting a new tank and starting from the beginning and over time transfer things over. Or flucozonal to treat hair algae?

Reefrookie220

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice new rock will grow algae quicker than the coralline covered stuff. Just peroxide and manual removal over the same time frame will get your results.

Consider moving the gramma and six line to your larger system, they get too aggressive in small systems. Try to limit yourself to 3 or 4 fish in the cube to cut down on waste.

OP
OP
want2bsleepy

want2bsleepy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have considered getting a new tank and starting from the beginning and over time transfer things over. Or flucozonal to treat hair algae?
yes, but we are trying to save money and space. We currently have a 125, a 15 frag tank, and are setting up a 65 seahorse tank.

No, we have not tried flucozonal. Is it reef safe?

Michael Llabona

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, but we are trying to save money and space. We currently have a 125, a 15 frag tank, and are setting up a 65 seahorse tank.

No, we have not tried flucozonal. Is it reef safe?
I pretty sure it is reef safe as long as you don't overdose. Search for the thread. A lot of people have had success. Luckily I've never had to use it

OP
OP
want2bsleepy

want2bsleepy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice new rock will grow algae quicker than the coralline covered stuff. Just peroxide and manual removal over the same time frame will get your results.

Consider moving the gramma and six line to your larger system, they get too aggressive in small systems. Try to limit yourself to 3 or 4 fish in the cube to cut down on waste.
Peroxide the whole rock?

Can't move the fish, have another wrasse and royal grama in the 125 already.

donnievaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Tunze 9002 skimmer will fit with a little cutting of the trim. It absolutely works like a champ in my 29.

OP
OP
want2bsleepy

want2bsleepy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on the boicube. We've slowly moved out the old pukani and replaced it with new tonga. There are of course some issues going on right now, like brown algae, but all of the hair algae is gone! We are going to add a few more snails to help. One thing that was causing the hair algae is my husband found the the first chamber of the biocube was collecting a nice pile of detritus at the bottom. So, now every day or so we take a turkey baster and stir it up. We have ordered some Marine Pure Bio Balls to add to the back chambers for more live rock.

d1119a9c183a24776d29e665be6bab89.jpg

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwiw , In my jbj cube I wound up only doing the water changes out of the back to keep it clean.
I pulled EVERYTHING out of the back to make sure it stayed that way.

Keep up the good work!!!

OP
OP
want2bsleepy

want2bsleepy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So...we've had a partial crash on the biocube. We lost one of the two clowns, the sixline, the spiny oyster, turbo snails, and maybe the royal gramma (can't find him). The three RBTA are super shrunken, and all of the corals are very not happy (luckily the corals are easily replaceable if they don't make it). We've done two water changes hoping that will help, but we tested everything and all of the parameters are just right. Not sure what has caused it. Our only guess is vodka dosing, as my husband has been doing that for a while to try to help with the algae problem.

We are hoping it stabilizes itself soon so we don't lose what is left. We'll have to replace the clown fish once it is stable before the lone clown becomes too independent. Also, now that the sixline is gone I can add a blenny! We'll probably add another sixline, but not right away.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aw DANG!

Any dead mexican turbo snails? not sure how the vodka would do it..

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwiw , In my jbj cube I wound up only doing the water changes out of the back to keep it clean.
I pulled EVERYTHING out of the back to make sure it stayed that way.

Keep up the good work!!!
Hey Salty, are you saying you kept everything pulled out of the back or that you pulled it out to do water changes? This thread is making me think I need to redo my water change process.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Salty, are you saying you kept everything pulled out of the back or that you pulled it out to do water changes? This thread is making me think I need to redo my water change process.
I did the rubble (some use balls ceramics etc) in the back chambers like everyone recommend and it was a mess. the chato and little bits of caulerpa grew into it as well.
I pulled all that stuff, then just kept floss GAC and a ball of chaeto in the basket. When I did the water changes, I blew the chambers with the turkey baster and siphoned it out. usually nasty.

honestly knowing what i know now, I would have tried a tunze compact filter rather than a skimmer.

OP
OP
want2bsleepy

want2bsleepy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aw DANG!

Any dead mexican turbo snails? not sure how the vodka would do it..
We had 10 turbo's in the tank to help fight the algae. They would be spread out to other tanks once we were satisfied we had the algae under control. I noticed that for two days they weren't moving, then we spotted the first dead fish. I removed them to our 125, and only one has moved. Its been two days. When I get home from work today we will examine them to see if they are dead or just recovering. We have been wondering if something went wrong and caused the RBTA's to release toxins. Our only guess is the vodka dosing...

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its possible, IME, that that the turbos died first and released toxins. In that small a vol that can be nasty.

jrwoltman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Biocube 29 as well. You really need a skimmer, it makes a HUGE difference. I do 2.5 gallon weekly water changes and still am dumping my skimmer cup daily. Coralife makes a great little skimmer that fits right in the 1st chamber of the cube, no need to mess around with trying to hang it on the back. Good luck!

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Biocube 29 as well. You really need a skimmer, it makes a HUGE difference. I do 2.5 gallon weekly water changes and still am dumping my skimmer cup daily. Coralife makes a great little skimmer that fits right in the 1st chamber of the cube, no need to mess around with trying to hang it on the back. Good luck!
Eh, I ran tanks with hob aquaclear for many years. its just a different method really.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back