29 Gallon Build

Aaron Hattan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the beginnings of what I hope is a long-lasting and enjoyable hobby. I've had many in the past, most recently brewing, which I still dabble in, but equipment mostly sits in the garage. Too hot in SC right now.

Currently running a 29-gallon tall top-fin tank. Scored a great price on the kit, of which I replaced the power filter with a Tidal 55 HOB. Using the large sponge, filter floss, polishing pad and the included matrix bio-media. Please critique!

Using the included hood/white led light combo, and running a marineland led 24-hour timer which sits inline on the power cord.

20210922_083944.jpg

I added 40 lbs. of Caribsea Ocean Direct, to give about a 2-3ish inch sand bed (did not rinse) and have just a few pieces of Caribsea Life Rock (Arch, Nano Arch, and Cave totaling about 20-25 lbs.). I'm ok with how the scaping turned out, but may add some more pieces, or replace with some other shapes, if anyone has a better eye than I, or if I need to add some more for bio filtering, or for overall tank health, please chime in!

I'm keep looking at that heater, and that glass scares me, so may be swapping out for a ceramic heater sooner than later.

Other than that, planning on a very simple setup, couple of clowns, a goby, shrimp, and a crab. Once the tank has matured for a while, I'll look at improving lighting, and add some softies and lps coral.

No fancy toys other than a refractometer, using API fluid tests to keep track of tank levels, and just registered the ammonia spike, so happy to see the cycle starting. Trying to keep it stupid simple, but that hasn't lasted to long in my previous endeavors haha.

Water and Sand, exciting!

20210902_100643.jpg

Rocks in, circulating, and initially had a Marine IC LOOP LED and an accompanying eflux 660 wave pump, but decided to step back and take things slow...
20210907_104442.jpg

Current state, all clear, cycling, and anxiously awaiting its first residents... Need to top off, and still do a little glass cleanup, ordered a flipper float that is supposed to be delivering today.

20210922_083926.jpg

Looking forward to the feedback and support from the community!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Aaron Hattan

Aaron Hattan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First inhabitants of the tank! Pair of ocellaris clowns, peppermint shrimp (hiding way during the day), and an astrea snail. Looking at adding a lawnmower, or a watchman in the next few days. Look at that diatom bloom!
20210926_114043.jpg

OP
OP
Aaron Hattan

Aaron Hattan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New tank mates.

Several nerite and nessarius snails, as well as a handful of hermit crabs have done a fine job of cleaning and keeping the diatom bloom under control.

Added a bicolor blenny today, and is already wandering around the tank picking up some of this mornings breakfast out from the crevices in the rock.

Need to figure out a long-term game plan for a couple more residents, and some lighting changes to accomodate some softies in the future.

20211004_152722.jpg
20211004_154421.jpg

OP
OP
Aaron Hattan

Aaron Hattan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added a Coral Beauty, and finding out the hard way, that the very fine ocean direct sand and a diamond goby make for a very ugly tank. Doing a great job though picking up the left over food bits.

May have the bug to upgrade to a larger tank with better filtration and flow in the near future.

Now just to figure out where to put it!

20211025_150656.jpg

kramer_reefin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same exact filter and was considering turning a 29 gallon into my first saltwater tank. How is it going and did you ever upgrade to a light that can grow basic/easier corals? Also interested in what your doing for a lid? Glass versa top?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back