OP
OP
Reef Recked

Reef Recked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks diamond Im sure it will work great and if not I guess I have an excuse to build another tank for it lol. :D

been crazy busy but going to post more updates soon, I go on a mini vacation to Aruba tomorrow so trying to get some done before the trip!

OP
OP
Reef Recked

Reef Recked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure it will work fine.
Have fun in Aruba. It's 29 degrees and snowing here.
Haha I had a great trip its gorgeous there! might put together a video of some of the reefs i explored while there. Im sorry! looks even worse for you this week, hope your holding up!

yeah...nice handy work. what do you do for a living? that way I know who to reach out to next time i need custom aquarium work ;)
Reef-RC i actually just started going through your 20 Nano build the other day!
I dont think you need any help from me but always willing to do what I can lol :p
Im a project manager/estimator for a construction company in florida! hbu?

OP
OP
Reef Recked

Reef Recked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok first would like to say the tank did great with me away for 6 days, was a little worried especially since i set up the ATO just before i left but everything worked flawlessly didnt have too much evaporation anyway and the power apparently went out for an hour one day. but heres where I am so far with the Cycle
Ammonia = 0.2 to 0.3
Nitrite = 1 (maybe higher)
Nitrate = 30ish
PH = 8.2
sorry still getting use to ready these test kits but looks like im in the middle of the nitrite spike? guessing another week or so until water change.

Also was able to finish this adjustable Skimmer Stand for my sump after i broke it and had to rebuild it of course. :rolleyes:
IMG_1887.jpg IMG_1890.jpg IMG_1893.jpg IMG_1905.jpg IMG_1900.jpg IMG_1904.jpg

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha I had a great trip its gorgeous there! might put together a video of some of the reefs i explored while there. Im sorry! looks even worse for you this week, hope your holding up!

I would rather be on a beach with a drink that has a little umbrella in it being served by a girl in a bikini, but you can't always get what you want.
I'm getting ready to go out and see if my car will start.
It's 2 degrees out.

Would love to see some of the reef videos you have!

OP
OP
Reef Recked

Reef Recked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would rather be on a beach with a drink that has a little umbrella in it being served by a girl in a bikini, but you can't always get what you want.
I'm getting ready to go out and see if my car will start.
It's 2 degrees out.

Would love to see some of the reef videos you have!
Jeez I dont think im strong enough to survive that! your jacket needs a jacket! just stay tucked away with your tank lol

I will i always take a bunch of footage and never end up making videos so my goal this year is to actually start putting videos together:)
I saw some of the biggest Puffers and squirrelfish ive ever seen! also did the SS antilla wreck but it was pretty choppy and hard to see alot of it.

OP
OP
Reef Recked

Reef Recked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay sorry its been awhile since the last post, there was a small leak in my ATO Container so had to tear it down and in the process of fixing it and making sure it doesnt happen again, i was somewhat worried about this just due to the height of the container and the thickness of acrylic so might reinforce it to be safe.

Also decided to move the quarantine off my desk so i had more room again so threw together a quick little stand for it, also made this small stand for the 7 stage RODI so i can keep it in a cabinet close to sink and easily move it around if needed.

Most importantly i thought my tank was fully cycled and could finally start stocking it (ammonia and nitrites were 0 and nitrates were around 30-35ish) but i saw in an article that i should do another full dose of ammonia and if levels in 24 hours arent zero its not done. so did a full dose and these are my results about 1.2 ammonia and 1 for nitrites so apparently the cycle isnt over. let me know if this is correct or if once these fall back to zero i can start stocking. I feel like its been forever already!

IMG_2077.jpg IMG_1978.jpg IMG_1949.jpg IMG_2171.jpg IMG_2169.jpg

OP
OP
Reef Recked

Reef Recked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update!
- Waited and did another full ammonia dose. Ammonia and nitrites were way lower after 24 hours but still not zero so the cycle continues!
- Realized i never posted any pictures of the light so posted below. Its pretty bright just need to program it now!
- Finished the 10 gallon quarantine got it up and running and threw together a little cover for it last night (just need to trim one side where the heater power runs to get it to sit down)
- I accidentally knocked My ATO off the workbench and popped a whole side off :mad:;Shifty;Walkingdead sooooo I liberally resealed the whole thing, and added another support to the middle of it to hopefully make sure i never get another leak. its not as pretty now but so far is holding water. ;Nailbiting

Also making some final decisions on my stocking list so will post that later to make sure im not missing anything! :D

IMG_1940_2 (1).jpg IMG_1942_2.jpg IMG_2301.jpg IMG_2303.jpg IMG_2304.jpg IMG_2309.jpg IMG_2313.jpg IMG_2314.jpg IMG_2306.jpg

Let me know what you guys think!

OP
OP
Reef Recked

Reef Recked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did another full ammonia dose and my ammonia and nitrite were slightly lower after 24 hours (0.7 / 0.9) respectively, and back to zero after 48 hours.
I added the whole rest of the nitrifying bacteria bottle and am going to do a half dose today to see if it can atleast clear that in 24 hours and go from there.
the cycle has already been over a month which i think is a little long for using the live nitrifying bacteria but trying to be patient! also itching to seed some pods and add chaeto to my refugium which im afraid to do until im fully cycled and done adding ammonia. Sorry no pics on this post but hopefully tomorrow ill have a little more to add!

Pyrosteve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quality build you have going for sure.

What are you using for the cycle? I have the same tank cycling now. It's been three weeks an just starting to detect nitrites. I just found out a small reef store nearby stocks Fritz Turbostart I might have to try it. Seems to be good stuff. Some real good info on this thread if you haven't seen it...

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/bacteria-in-a-bottle-myth-or-fact.403226/

OP
OP
Reef Recked

Reef Recked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok sorry i've been MIA guys! so during my hiatus i had a small seep from my sump that i had to take apart the whole system to fix. Any cuts that i made with the circular saw before I had my Miter saw are more prone to leaks but rebonded the whole sump and sealed the bottom to help prevent any problems in the future. This put back my cycle and actual start date of course but now my cycle is finally coming to an end after alot of patience! But of course thats half of this hobby lol. Added some eggcrate to help keep the Chaeto where it should be and Ive Also cleaned up some of the wiring, and made a saltwater mix station that can pump right into my sump! see pictures below!
IMG_2422.jpg IMG_2502.jpg IMG_2425.jpg IMG_2828.jpg

IMG_2733.jpg IMG_2736.jpg IMG_2738.jpg IMG_2794.jpg IMG_2787.jpg

IMG_2499.jpg

OP
OP
Reef Recked

Reef Recked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quality build you have going for sure.

What are you using for the cycle? I have the same tank cycling now. It's been three weeks an just starting to detect nitrites. I just found out a small reef store nearby stocks Fritz Turbostart I might have to try it. Seems to be good stuff. Some real good info on this thread if you haven't seen it...

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/bacteria-in-a-bottle-myth-or-fact.403226/

Thanks Pyro! im trying lol, im using all DR tims. But between the sump problems i also think that i wasn't dosing ammonia nearly enough to keep the bacteria happy so ive been more regular and almost to the point where i am ready for my CUC etc. I havent heard of that ill have to look into it.

Hows your cycle going?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 51 52.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.2%
Back