OP
OP
mebo926

mebo926

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the past couple days ha e noticed some hair algae growing in spots so I'm in the process of fixing that. Got some turbos and then ordered some Chemi-pure elite. I think a lot of it is just new tank syndrome but after it went crazy in my last tank I'm on top of it now. I went and stopped back at Reef Revolutions to get more coral and this time got two frags of zoas and the gf got another richordea.
1392064667430.jpg

1392064682704.jpg

And got a deal on a single purple people eater
1392064720619.jpg

OP
OP
mebo926

mebo926

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So im continuing my weekly 6gal water change and then testing the next day. Today I tested my tank right after turning the lights on and my pH is still at 7.5. It hasnt been at a 8.2 since the first couple weeks of setting this tank up. I been more litteral on the testing cause i still have had some diatoms/GHA thats blooming in my tank. Today when testing all my NITRATES and NITRITES and PHOS are all at 0. Which is good cause they are all finally at 0. This weekend im sticking some chemi pure in there. Im gonna get another turbo snail and also some ceriths and been looking for a skimmer to put on it. Hoping all this will help clean it up. The one turbo snail has been on a cleanup and clearing the 2 rocks he has worked on since the 2 days he has been in it. Just dont want the other hair algae to go crazy cause i dont wanna go through that again. Any input on helping get rid of the rest is welcomed.

WhoKnew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am enjoying your journey with your new, used, tank. Good choices for your frags you purchased. Keep the pictures coming.

OP
OP
mebo926

mebo926

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys!!! Well since one of the 2 turbos didn't make it I went and bought another. Floated him and dropped him in and placed him on the hair algae and he went to town. I need to get some ceriths my regular fish store doesn't have any so I'm gonna have to order. Waiting for funds to make my huge order for fishy stuff for the frag tank so I'm gonna wait till then. I still need to get a skimmer for this tank also.

OP
OP
mebo926

mebo926

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sad news my little yellow clown Goby died. I have had him for almost a year. I did a water change yesterday and changed my purigen and added chemi pure elite but checked everything today and it's all perfect for once. They only thing I can think of he just didn't get enough food. That is my fault, had a bad red slime episode in the old tank and put them on a diet due to others over feeding. So I think I'm not feeding them enough cause it's like a slaughter house when i do feed them. I'm changing my food to Larry frozen food for them so I can help with possible phosphates in the future. Also question to all. I have been literal with water changes, every Wednesday a 5-6 gallon and the last 2 I have vacuumed the sand to remove the brown diatoms. Today they are back basically same places it was. Any ideas?

OP
OP
mebo926

mebo926

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry some new updates..... Got the cleaning crew in and have tons of every size you can imagine. They are working now. Been checking on the zoas and they are going crazy and every one of my new ones have new polyps on almost every one. I wonder what they would do if I had a skimmer and fed them. I have my orange clown is starting to pick at the other fish. Made me wonder if that's how the goby died. He's getting moved once the frag tank is good. Speaking of that...... I have ordered almost everything for the new frag tank; Ordered 4 ATI t5 bulbs, jeabo 25, sca 302 skimmer. I have to get the loc line for the return, and egg crate. Today I went to home depot and got my pvc fittings and pipe, acrylic. Got home scratched the glass installing the barrier wall. I got the drain all plumbed to the sump. Went to install the return and since I wanted to reduce to 3/4 I forgot the extra male adapter from the union, ugh. I also have no clue where my Teflon tape is so need to get that. So tomorrow going to the fishy store to get the loc line return and the male adapter and I should be all ready to glue and test.

OP
OP
mebo926

mebo926

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man cave frag tank
I just set up and almost completed my my frag tank. I just need to get something to hang my lights. The set up I have is:
52 x 12 x12 Rimless corner drilled
1/4 Tank divided with sand
Triton 5 return
3/4 inch Loc Line Return with a Y
Jeabo 25 ( Debating on switching for a korila 750)
Sca 301 skimmer
150w Heater
Since I have no LR I'm using 2L of Matrix for the filtration.
The lights are 48" t5 with 2x Ati AquaBlue Special and 2x Ati Blue Plus
I then moved my other tank I had left over corals that had algae on them and used it as a quarantine tank. Has a aqua clear 30 filter with matrix and carbon and a 50/50 led bar.
1395965761470.jpg

1395965845345.jpg

1395965865680.jpg

1395965885046.jpg

Also today I got a lawnmower blemmy for my main tank. My led par 38 bulb was going weird and have caused a little more algae and then just went out. I bought a 24in t5 4 bulb fixture. Has a mixture of ati bulbs.
1395967670109.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back