29G sump build input needed (Baffles)

Sun357

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, trying to get the final plans laid down for my sump build. I have a 40G breeder DT and i'm doing a 29G Sump. I wanted a larger than the 20G sump as I wanted it to hold more water for evaporation and have a larger Fuge. I DIY'd the stand so it easily has enough room under it for the 29G and for moving the equipment all around.

Current plan:
Skimmer 10" > Return 8" < Fuge 10"

That is 28" long and I figure 2" for the bubble trap right after the skimmer.

Does that sound good?

I can just use a single baffle going from Fuge to overflow into the Return area, correct?

I'm going to be using an SCA-302 skimmer which i've been reading works best in around 9" of water.

What i'd like to do is have very high baffles so I can keep a lot of water in this Sump for evaporation. From the estimator on RC site I figure I only need around 4G for power outage max. (Even less but I rounded up)

I'm thinking 15" baffles between skimmer and return section and placing the skimmer on a stand. Then the baffle between the return and fuge section maybe a bit taller.

Any thoughts? Much appreciated!

Mike in CT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also used a 29 gallon sump. Here is a drawing of the dimensions I used. I had a stock cabinet so I had to cut out the floor of
it and then built a base out of 4x4's to raise it up so I have enough room for my tall skimmer. These dimension are pretty close to
yours. My return section loses about a inch or so from evaporation everyday so I could go 3 or 4 days without
worrying about it. I have a auto to off now so it does not matter as much. (I have a 75 g DT) At these dimensions I have
no problem holding a few inches of water from the DT when the power is off. It drains down to my anti siphon holes on my return
pipes.
29_SUMP.jpg

OP
OP
Sun357

Sun357

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, Mike! Thanks a ton! I really like that. 13 inch baffles works good so maybe i'll just go with that sizing as the whole thing looks about the dimensions I want to go with.

How have you kept the Fuge? BB? DSB? LR?

OP
OP
Sun357

Sun357

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you not edit posts here? lol You definitely need more backflow room supporting a 75 than I do with a 40 so I may still go with the 15" baffles.

Mike in CT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept some extra live rock in the fuge for now, thinking maybe someday of getting a manderine so the rock in the fuge will keep the
pod population going. I am running a Herbie over flow that I love..nice and quiet because my tank in in the living/dining area.
I only run a filter sock when I am kicking up stuff and really have not notices much debri in the sump so far. This was my first sump so I was so
worried about flooding the house I did a test run outside in the middle of winter to make sure I understood the whole process before I
fired her up inside the house.
test_sump.jpg

OP
OP
Sun357

Sun357

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cute kid! My son is over-due. He was due Saturday so this is helping distract me. lol =)

Thanks for the info. Looks real good.

Mike in CT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hang in there Fred! The one in the picture is one of my twin 3 year olds, my oldest who is 7 now was a
week late and had to be coaxed out...lol. Is this your first??

OP
OP
Sun357

Sun357

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wellll, raised two teens with my ex-wife and have 4 step-kids with the current wife. LOL This is my first baby though! I've got the teen years down pat it's just the baby ones that will be new.

Mike in CT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you will have plenty of babysitters anyway! Lol
Thinking about the teenage years really scare me!! You will be hearing from me in about 6 years asking for advice. :)

OP
OP
Sun357

Sun357

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL Oh yes, plenty of sitters for sure if needed. Definitely an expert when it comes to teens! Ask away when you get there!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 31.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 53 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back