2x AI prime vs XR15 pro

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought a used 50 gallon IM fusion as an upgrade to my 25 gallon IM fusion. The new tank is 30"x24" and it came with a single AI prime HD. I had a single XR15 pro gen 4 on my 25 gallon. Should I sell my XR15 and buy another AI hd prime or sell the prime and run the single XR15 pro? MY reef is entirely softies and LPS. I am trying to stay within budget so buying another XR15 pro seems to be double that of buying an AI prime which is why I am not considering that option. Thanks!

Let the opinions roll.......

hobbyreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 3 AI Prime HDs on my IM 30 gallon long and they will 100% grow corals and look nice. If you are looking to save money then it’s hard to beat this option.

I have T5s and Kessils on my current tank but I think the color with the AI was equally nice.

D917B9B6-10E2-4282-B598-DAF4FD6C76B2.jpeg

rwreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my single xr15 on the tank now and it looks ok, edges lacking a little light. I really would prefer to stick with the single xr15.
Raise the light up and increase the intensity to see of that helps the edges. IMO softies and LPS will do great under this light. I know mine have.

20200809_210725.jpg

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my single xr15 on the tank now and it looks ok, edges lacking a little light. I really would prefer to stick with the single xr15.
You could get the Reefbrite XHO add on kit for the XR15 and direct the light a little towards the outer edge for a little help on the corners.

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like this idea. I assume the reefbrite need to beon their own timer?
For control they offer a bluetooth accessory, Apex module, or you can use a $10 basic lamp timer from dollar store. The bluetooth and Apex would allow ramping. For your use I imagine a standard timer turning ON near full power of your Radion schedule and OFF at sunset would suffice for photosynthesis needs and then adjusting to what you feel fits best for viewing.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 17 29.8%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 21 36.8%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 12 21.1%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.5%
Back