2x MP10's on a 75G?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have 2 MP40's on my 4' 75G tank. Too much flow. At 50% it's moving the sand around (they are mounted about 4.5" below water line). I'm looking at some of the deals prior to the quiet drive and wondered if anyone has feedback on using a pair of MP10's on a 75G. The online tool on the ecotech site is jacked up. I've been getting an "authentication required" message whenever I try and use their flow calculator.

RandoReefer

RandyBRS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have 2 MP40's on my 4' 75G tank. Too much flow. At 50% it's moving the sand around (they are mounted about 4.5" below water line). I'm looking at some of the deals prior to the quiet drive and wondered if anyone has feedback on using a pair of MP10's on a 75G. The online tool on the ecotech site is jacked up. I've been getting an "authentication required" message whenever I try and use their flow calculator.

Hey PedroYoung

I have two MP40s on my 125gal 6ft tank and it's perfect or that. I also have two MP10s on my 40gal frag tank. I have to run those at 50%.

I don't doubt that two MP10s could work on a 4ft - 75gal tank, but if it were me, I'd keep my MP40s and run them even lower than 50%. These pumps are made to create optimal flow throughout their various speed intensities. What a MP10 can't get done at 100%, an MP40 can do at speeds below 25%.

One of our Product Team Members brought up the functionality of the flow calculator to the EcoTech team the other day. I'm sure they are working to correct the issue.

That's my input, I hope some others can chime in with some thoughts. I'll go check out the site and see if the same happens for me.

Thanks!

Randy
EcoTech Product Test Team

rsuplido

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reggie,

Have you tried navigating through the site and clicking the Flow Calculator button at the bottom of the MP40 page? I received the same message he is speaking of. I forgot what thread we were talking about this, but it does seem to have a kink...

Yeah, ETM forgot to fix the link -- still pointing to their dev site, i guess. Just take out the "dev." prefix on the URL.

OP
OP
PedroYoung

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess I should have mentioned it's an LPS dominant tank, mostly acan, chalice, euphyllia. Missed the smoking deal on BRS closing out the MP10's. Thanks for the link to the flow calculator, that is helpful, wish I'd have had that last night, might have pulled the trigger. Mainly I'm wanting to get the full range of variable flow. When I've got the MP40's cranked way down it's getting close to short or long pulse mode when I'm in tidal crest or lagoon since there just isn't much room (when you are taking half the range away from the controller).

RandoReefer

RandyBRS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess I should have mentioned it's an LPS dominant tank, mostly acan, chalice, euphyllia. Missed the smoking deal on BRS closing out the MP10's. Thanks for the link to the flow calculator, that is helpful, wish I'd have had that last night, might have pulled the trigger. Mainly I'm wanting to get the full range of variable flow. When I've got the MP40's cranked way down it's getting close to short or long pulse mode when I'm in tidal crest or lagoon since there just isn't much room (when you are taking half the range away from the controller).

I see what your saying PedroYoung . There still are places out there with the MP10s on sale. If you were closer, I'd let you borrow my two MP10s to see if their range of flow rates match your needs. What did the flow calculator tell you about what type of pumps to get? I have a Euphyllia-head buddy who runs his single MP10 no more than 40% on a 37gal tall tank. Quite a stretch from your 4' tank, but the lagoon/tidal pool type flow is what he's trying to achieve as well.

OP
OP
PedroYoung

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did end up ordering 2 MP10's at $50 off each. Still a chunk of change, but I'll use the MP40's on my 180 when my house is finished (of course will be wishing I had quiet drive's on them). The tank calculator showed the 2 MP10's as the right fit, and the 2 MP40's as way too much (recommended LPS flow in my 75 is 1600 GPH, with minimum possible flow on 2xMP40's @ 2000 GPH!). The 2xMP10's range from 400-3400 GPH from min to max. When my 180 is up I might use one of the new MP10's on the back. Live and learn.

RandoReefer

RandyBRS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did end up ordering 2 MP10's at $50 off each. Still a chunk of change, but I'll use the MP40's on my 180 when my house is finished (of course will be wishing I had quiet drive's on them). The tank calculator showed the 2 MP10's as the right fit, and the 2 MP40's as way too much (recommended LPS flow in my 75 is 1600 GPH, with minimum possible flow on 2xMP40's @ 2000 GPH!). The 2xMP10's range from 400-3400 GPH from min to max. When my 180 is up I might use one of the new MP10's on the back. Live and learn.

At least you'll have a future use for them. Luckily, the MP40 driver upgrade is fairly inexpensive so you can still quiet them bad boys down in the new house!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back