3.5 gallon long pico

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@i cant think what do you think about the firefish? It is about 4.5cm long
I say go for it if it looks healthy to you, it’s hard to see in that photo however it looks just stressed (As expected from any new fish in an acclimation box with no hiding spots) :)

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say go for it if it looks healthy to you, it’s hard to see in that photo however it looks just stressed (As expected from any new fish in an acclimation box with no hiding spots) :)
He definitely looks healthy to me. He had just been put in the tank so he was just stressed.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still wondering why no algae has grown in this tank while it was in the pico too, especially because I was using my nano water.
I assume you mean coralline?
If you do then I’ve found Coralline is a PITA to get thriving. I never trust coralline for showing a thriving tank, I generally go off of if your corals are thriving (E.g. Growing at a decent rate for that species)

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume you mean coralline?
If you do then I’ve found Coralline is a PITA to get thriving. I never trust coralline for showing a thriving tank, I generally go off of if your corals are thriving (E.g. Growing at a decent rate for that species)
No, I meant pest algae. I am very surprised that there is no algae in this tank so far.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I meant pest algae. I am very surprised that there is no algae in this tank so far.
Don’t hold your breath!
I’ve had algae only appear at the 6 month mark.
You also do have some algae already taking out nutrients to feed itself and coral.

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current stocking
Fish:
1x pictus blenny
1x yellow clown goby
1x firefish
1x yellow stripe clingfish

Inverts:
2x nassarius snail
1x turbo snail
3x pom pom crabs
1x bumble bee shrimp
5x sexy shrimp
2x small electric blue hermit crab
3x bumble bee shrimp
1x fighting conch

Confirmed addition

Potential addition
Already added

The three new bumble bee shrimp are arriving tomorrow as they have quickly become my favourite invert as well as more live rock, like suggested.
I am also getting the fighting conch hopefully tomorrow.

As always I am looking for recommendations/opinions with this tank to help me become better reefer and make sure everyone in this tank is happy :)

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current stocking
Fish:
1x pictus blenny
1x yellow clown goby
1x firefish
1x yellow stripe clingfish

Inverts:
2x nassarius snail
1x turbo snail
3x pom pom crabs
1x bumble bee shrimp
5x sexy shrimp
2x small electric blue hermit crab
3x bumble bee shrimp
1x fighting conch

Confirmed addition

Potential addition
Already added

The three new bumble bee shrimp are arriving tomorrow as they have quickly become my favourite invert as well as more live rock, like suggested.
I am also getting the fighting conch hopefully tomorrow.

As always I am looking for recommendations/opinions with this tank to help me become better reefer and make sure everyone in this tank is happy :)
Sorry scrap that, in terms of the turbo snail and fighting conch, should I add them now? (The turbo is already in but I can transfer him back) I will still get two fighting conches but should I put them both in my “bigger” nano until I start to notice algae? My nano is INFESTED and has been enough for there to be 5 turbo snails and the glass and rocks to still be covered. I just don’t want either to starve.

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would four small fish be pushing the limit of a 7.5 gallon nano? Idealy I would be able to get the firefish too but is that too much? I might go ahead and purchase a small HOB skimmer as some point in the future.

Last edited:
OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2C7CF8CD-45BB-4125-8C42-25D858247742.jpeg

As is evident, I am horrible at rock scaping but… this isn’t as bad as my other nano tank :grinning-face-with-sweat:
61A164EF-8F33-43FA-9BAE-519CAE168834.jpeg

Side view
I really hate that multi coral frag being there but it can stay for now.
22512592-714D-4A2C-9BD6-F69E6A0F8540.jpeg

Top view
B7683A1B-6F1A-4053-8DD1-8F0C6D4ED4B5.jpeg

Little fighting conch
378B78FD-6796-4453-B489-3B830FE8211F.jpeg

Now I have four of these beautiful little guys :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
09D50022-D999-466C-909C-0B64FCFE5371.jpeg

Here is a nice photo of one of the new guys.
3597A139-ECC2-4E44-913B-019527F4D547.jpeg

Unfortunately two of them have isopods under their skin but that is to be expected with these little guys.
image.jpg

I bought a lunar eclipse zoa last minute instead of the fire and ice but it seems he has also sent me the ring of fire zoa two head colony that I had my eye on.
9B089C47-60AF-40C2-849A-A3FD8AFF2415.jpeg

image.jpg
I can already tell that Nico is thanking me for the new rock :) (He is in the middle of the picture under a rock if you can’t find him)

I feel like I should have done just one structure and made it taller but… I’m not too sure, let me know what you think.

I am definitely prepared to never ever see that snapping shrimp again haha.

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately my yellow clown goby passed away a few days ago but I never hade a post about it because i was still trying to figure out if anything was wrong but I have now come to the conclusion that he died due to food. He just never ate now matter what I tried feeding. I have seen that has been the experience with other reefers too so I am getting another and a green today in hopes that I will have better luck.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately my yellow clown goby passed away a few days ago but I never hade a post about it because i was still trying to figure out if anything was wrong but I have now come to the conclusion that he died due to food. He just never ate now matter what I tried feeding. I have seen that has been the experience with other reefers too so I am getting another and a green today in hopes that I will have better luck.
Such a shame to hear about the goby…
But why a green and not this guy? ;)

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Such a shame to hear about the goby…
But why a green and not this guy? ;)
Still out of stock!!! Grr haha

I am getting a 2cm citron, a small green and a small yellow and for now (not very long) they will stay together in this nano while supervised to see their personalities and check for aggression so I can see which two could stay here long term if two could.

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp that citron was actually full size at around 5cm not what I was told an hour ago from the vendor... he wont be going into this nano :crying-face: but the other two aren't too big and are healthy so they will be great additions :)
I also got a bit of macroalgae to make the tank look a bit nicer and also another fighting conch because HERE COMES THE ALGAE! I noticed it last night.

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@i cant think and @Sailaway what should I do!? My other nano is maxed out already with 5 fish and spoilers during the weekend I will be moving this aquarium to another a bit bigger aquarium so that this aquarium will become a freshwater aquarium. I could release the other clowns from their acclimation box and pop him in there for now?

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 44 28.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 42 27.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 53 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.3%
Back