3 clowns in a 65g?

mory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I’m moving tanks and have a 65g setup cycled with a few fish already, but my little nano tank with my very first fish I bought was an ocellaris clown, she’s pretty decent size and I’m in a predicament because my girlfriend bought 2 lightning maroon juveniles to qt… is it at all possible to get these 3 to live harmoniously? I’m not getting rid of my first clown because she’s my little baby, but the Lightning’s are also very very beautiful, any tips or is it a lost cause.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The maroons will not let another clown be. Your best option is to get rid of the lonely clown

Jbell370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The gf buying 3 clowns for me as gift that of course were different than what I had resulted in me getting another tank to keep them in.

Anthony Scholfield

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Call me crazy but i guess im more the drive fast and take chances type. If it were me i would try but with a few considerations.

I would for sure add them all at the same time, even better if you could add more than just those three at the same time, the art of confusion, i believe it can be helpful.

I would also get some anemones established in the new tank before the additions go in. Try to give them there own seperate habitats. Preferably on opposite ends of the tank but with nems that could be difficult.

Be prepared to seperate/remove them if major problems arise, maybe try the acclimation box for a time. Im not saying it will work but i dont believe its impossible. All fish are a bit different in temperment, even within species.

Try at your own risk, just be sure its a calculated risk :) I have a little experience with this but my circumstances are very different. Dont take these words as permission to move forward but as something to consider for the final decision.

Frizzy reefnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my experience and I’ve tried twice after a year things go to hell and go to hell fast ....I had 9 clownfish mostly different types in a 75 gallon during the first year they’re fine living peacefully then they turn into a damsel ...I’m down to about 6 now and now that the bullies are out of the tank ...3 months later the ones who were hiding in a corner before are now the new bosses and are starting to nip at the others....I rather have peace in my tank then keep watching them chase eachother it’s just not enjoyable ....wish it worked....edit...didn’t see maroon clowns...they’re the toughest in the clownfish world imo

Last edited:

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other option, without getting another tank, is to put the single clown in your sump. I've done this before with great success.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The maroons, especially once paired, will likely kick the living crap out of the ocellaris. They're probably the most aggressive of the clownfish species. Each clownfish has a unique personality, and you may have relatively docile maroons, but that would be the exception rather than the rule.

Appoloreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I’m moving tanks and have a 65g setup cycled with a few fish already, but my little nano tank with my very first fish I bought was an ocellaris clown, she’s pretty decent size and I’m in a predicament because my girlfriend bought 2 lightning maroon juveniles to qt… is it at all possible to get these 3 to live harmoniously? I’m not getting rid of my first clown because she’s my little baby, but the Lightning’s are also very very beautiful, any tips or is it a lost cause.
I had a Maroon clown and I wanted another clown so I purchased a percula clown which was smaller and added him to the tank and there was a little aggression but within a week they were getting along very well and had them for years. Now I am not sure about having 3.

Appoloreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my experience and I’ve tried twice after a year things go to hell and go to hell fast ....I had 9 clownfish mostly different types in a 75 gallon during the first year they’re fine living peacefully then they turn into a damsel ...I’m down to about 6 now and now that the bullies are out of the tank ...3 months later the ones who were hiding in a corner before are now the new bosses and are starting to nip at the others....I rather have peace in my tank then keep watching them chase eachother it’s just not enjoyable ....wish it worked....edit...didn’t see maroon clowns...they’re the toughest in the clownfish world imo
I want to get two maroon clowns and add them to my tank at the same time and see if they will pair up? My other choice is to get Blood Orange clowns and have two of them

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 81 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back