3 Foot Office Nano

babyg2.0

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! I'm so upset that I'm just now seeing this thread. I absolutely LOVE this setup!! I have a 10 gal goldfish tank that will soon be planted as well and I also have a 20 gal saltwater with only two clowns in it. Once they move into the 75 gal, i may make the 20 a nano reef. Your setup is perfect!! So much OCD, I love it!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Definitely nerve wrecking and exciting as the same time.

This all happened Friday night starting around 9pm. I got everything in the cooler in about 10 minutes and spent another hour and a half or so cleaning up the old tank so it wasn't left to foul in the office. Drained all the water, scrubbed all the equipment and then semi set it back up. Didn't refill with new saltwater. In time it will probably be refilled and be an easier to handle tank with little to no corals. All that stuff will be at the house.

When transferring the fish/corals/rocks everything went super fast except I couldn't find my Midas Blenny. I just assumed he hid in the largest of the rocks. So when I pulled that rock I hoped he took the ride. While cleaning all of the equipment the fish had a bubbler going. I slowly packed up some necessary dry goods and loaded the cooler last into the car. Locked up the office building for the night and get a phone call from my wife at 11pm. It turned out a protest was happening on the interstate between Minneapolis/St Paul and I had to find another way home. I really had to thank her for this because If I got on I-94 I might not have been able to easily get back off or take a detour and would have been stuck in traffic for possibly hours.

I took a somewhat long detour but avoided all the issues and made it home around 11:30. Transferred all the coolers and goodies inside and started the acclimation. Within a few minutes I noticed the fish were laying on their sides and didn't seem to be doing well. Rather than drag out the process I sped up up the transfer and got them in the tank fairly quickly. All of the parameters for the new tank were solid so the corals were transferred. The cooler was empty and the Midas Blenny was still MIA. I tiddy things up and head to bed.

The next morning still no Blenny and I fear that he jumped out of the tank or cooler when I was at work and didn't notice him. The first couple confirmed losses were in the morning though. My red dragon was completely white and dead and my Royal Gramma was lifeless wedged inside a rock. He must have gotten startled and darted inside only to be unable to back himself back out. The lights don't officially come on until noon so I just let everything else be.

Around 1 oclock after lunch I head down to feed the fish now that the light is glowing. To my amazement the Midas Blenny is poking his head out of the right rock and checking things out. He was in there the whole time and was really far inside and had me worried. The rest of the day progresses as normal.

Sunday (Fathers Day's / Today) comes and I go down to check the fish and I suddenly realize I forgot to put the top back on last night. I'm in such a habit of doing it at work that i can't believe I forgot at home. On the floor was a dried clownfish. My daughter was curious and followed me downstairs and saw me pick him up. So we had to have a brief "He died" conversation and say goodbye to him. This afternoon my daughter and I had to make a special trip to the LFS because she needed a new Nemo in the house.

Still working on the photo / color balance of the new space, and all the corals look pretty ****** and browned out at the moment.

sEcVSwW.jpg

Love it! Any new updates?

Giraffe0621

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a new RODI on Black Friday and found a 35g tank on craigslist.

Finally got a day off between Christmas and New Years while day care was open so I had some free time to hook up the RODI and build a stand for the water reservoir. I originally bought a saddle valve to attach the filter to my main water supply but after seeing some youtube videos and hearing horror stories of those leaking and failing I went with a more sturdy solution.

The tank's brass garden hose valve was already attached. Since this photo it has been upgraded to a true union ball valve and downspout to go directly into my water jugs.

NNqvw7kh.jpg

wwiZ5d4h.jpg

CaT3Cnlh.jpg

Just found another of your posts -- guess I'm looking for a Sharkbite fitting. Thank you!

Last edited:

Oceanwave45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am shocked your company allowed you to place a tank in your cube!! If I tried that I'd have to sign a release of liability or so legal ****! Then every other employee would ask for thing to be added to their desk, which would involve HR! So how did you get away with this???

OP
OP
eschulist

eschulist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice how did you get away with setting that up at work hahahaha!!!

I am shocked your company allowed you to place a tank in your cube!! If I tried that I'd have to sign a release of liability or so legal ****! Then every other employee would ask for thing to be added to their desk, which would involve HR! So how did you get away with this???

I started about 9 years ago with a 5 gallon saltwater tank that had just a single clownfish. After about 4 years of that I wanted to get corals again so one day I just started having equipment delivered. One weekend I just set everything up.

The company is small <40 employees total and does 3D, VFX, music, editing etc so its a very relaxed culture. After 5 years of having that 12 gallon tank setup I wanted to upgrade and improve all the things that bugged me about the first 12 gallon. This new setup was so nice and expensive I just decided to keep it at home. The tank at work is there in my cubicle, its just empty and cleaned up waiting to be turned into something new or sold off.

I just went to LiveAquarias Divers Den open house yesterday and saw a tiny ghost eel. Rather than doing coral again at work I thought thats be a cool low maintenance setup.

OP
OP
eschulist

eschulist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful setup!! Just saw this pic on instagram

Was it posted by Nanoboxreef or someone else?

Looks like you recovered rather quickly! Congrats on a beautiful tank once again.

I still lost a bunch of corals due to the transfer that Im upset about. A few are barely hanging on.

I also did a really stupid thing the last month or so. I put my C Balance 2 part solutions in the wrong containers. So when Id test Alk and saw it dropping I upped my DOS programming but instead it was putting in more Ca. My Ca was 500 so I stopped my DOS from putting in Ca, in reality that was my Alk. My Alk continued to drop due to this error and my Ca was through the roof. I just corrected this last night and am hoping things even back out in the coming weeks. Im surprised how well things coped with the inbalance for so long.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
eschulist

eschulist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mind sharing where you found the orange tubing to fit the DOS ?

Thank you.

Ive ordered at least 2 different pieces or orange tubing off ebay. 4mm ID 6mm OD. One was Polyurethane and the other was Silicone. They both worked but they were very strange colors of orange. The one I currently use, mostly just because its the most orange and matches my pipes is the tubing that comes with the Neptune ATK.

MRRBW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful aquarium. Tank seems to be coming back strong from the overdosing and transfer losses.

aabjones888

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's the purple masked angel doing? Where did I get it from if you don't mind me asking and was it eating befor u got it?

OP
OP
eschulist

eschulist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's the purple masked angel doing? Where did I get it from if you don't mind me asking and was it eating befor u got it?

The Angelfish is still doing awesome!! I got it from LiveAquaria's Divers Den directly from the director Kevin Kohen himself. He did all the work to get him eating flake, pellet, and frozen foods.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back