3 Foot Office Nano

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the update! Any new photos or videos for us to drool over?

neverdie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw this tank on nano-reef and I find it very inspiring. This is the tank than made me select the 30 L to be my next tank due to its similar footprint. thank you for sharing. I love the fish choices.

OP
OP
eschulist

eschulist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw this tank on nano-reef and I find it very inspiring. This is the tank than made me select the 30 L to be my next tank due to its similar footprint. thank you for sharing. I love the fish choices.

Thanks. Im glad it inspired you to try something similar. I love the look of long panoramic style tanks.

OP
OP
eschulist

eschulist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been a couple months since an update. How about some pictures.

NU4zeZC.jpg

AEZXtgW.jpg

sp3AihN.jpg

o3iZghq.jpg

lop2Ner.jpg

extendedmango

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous tank!!!

I just ordered the big brother of your aquarium (22g long), and I'm still planning my stock list. Do you recommend an angelfish for this sort of aquarium?

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost ready to start plumbing. A few straggler parts and the stand top should be here this week.

7KsdjVk.png

8aOgNNy.jpg

Blue tape is holding the reactors together as I'm missing the thread / thread union to join the two.

The next example is having the pump external. This allows for a taller more cube like sump. Two extra valves are needed to remove the pump from service. I just noticed while looking at this image that I screwed up the placement of the wye check valve. It needs to be above the Tee for the reactor (Like in my internal example) otherwise the water will just back flow through the reactor when the pump is offline. The two examples also show the difference between having both drains on the back of the sump or on the left side of the sump. Is there much of a benefit either way?

VaTY3WE.png

By having them both in the back I could do a custom sized ZeroEdge sump like this.

Series-7-26-Single1.jpg

Or on the side like this
Series-7-36-D-copy1.jpg

For people that have sumps like this, with the filter sock offset from the drains, how much detritus is trapped at the bottom of the drains that never goes over the wall to get filtered out by the socks? I'd imagine going straight into the sock would make sure everything is filtered out but I lose the ability to have a cover to reduce noise and splashing.

If anyone has tips or sees anything that could be rearranged let me know (Just like I noticed my mistake in the order of the tee and wye check valve placement)

First, this is an amazing build. I have watched your office tank threads on other forums and was really excited to find it here on R2R. Then as I was reading through the build, my eye caught the lines above that I put in bold text. I am just finishing up my plumbing, and I made the exact mistake you just highlighted. I put the wye check valve right after the pump, but before the "T" off to the reactor. I never would have found this mistake until I did my first power off test. The good news is that I haven't gotten the tank wet yet so there may still be a solution, but the bad news is that the way I created my build there is very little room for error and I may not have the height in my stand to deal with the fix. I need to document this later sand see what other R2R members come up with.

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The decision has been made. The tank is staying in the house! Corals are being transferred home and something more simple will be at work.

Dave hooked me up with a sweet Quad Nanobox fixture. I'm waiting on walnut lids to match the stand but until then I wanted to get the light hung and get things going with the Apex.
Dave does 2 hoops on the lights for wire suspension hanging.

imageproxy.php

In the end I decided to do 1 point suspension and buy my own wire hanging kit. This meant cutting Daves wiring and doing my own mount. When I get the Walnut lids they will be blank so I wont have the 2 empty holes.

G3mmSYhh.jpg

The new gripper is attached to the center of the light so the fixture stays level. A nut at the bottom keeps it secure but is an issue with attaching it to the light fixture.

gkcg0Jth.jpg

I need a small gap between the lid and the fixture itself to make room for that nut. Next came drilling into the beautiful light. I was a little nervous as the wiring is right below the spot I need to drill.

0kadZO5h.jpg

A little more ragged than I would have liked but I didn't hit the wires and the rough edge will be covered by the lid.

UhNoXHmh.jpg

06Wc2dsh.jpg

Carefully measure out the location on the ceiling and Success!

zU9hvhYh.jpg

True FTS before the corals go in this weekend or next (Its our anniversary this weekend so doing a lot of fishy things may be best held off for another week)

4Q02Uin.jpg

Stunning fixture, beautiful setup, and I love the art!. I am considering one of these fixtures for a smaller tank down the road. How is the shimmer with these lights?

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The decision has been made. The tank is staying in the house! Corals are being transferred home and something more simple will be at work.

Dave hooked me up with a sweet Quad Nanobox fixture. I'm waiting on walnut lids to match the stand but until then I wanted to get the light hung and get things going with the Apex.
Dave does 2 hoops on the lights for wire suspension hanging.

imageproxy.php

In the end I decided to do 1 point suspension and buy my own wire hanging kit. This meant cutting Daves wiring and doing my own mount. When I get the Walnut lids they will be blank so I wont have the 2 empty holes.

G3mmSYhh.jpg

The new gripper is attached to the center of the light so the fixture stays level. A nut at the bottom keeps it secure but is an issue with attaching it to the light fixture.

gkcg0Jth.jpg

I need a small gap between the lid and the fixture itself to make room for that nut. Next came drilling into the beautiful light. I was a little nervous as the wiring is right below the spot I need to drill.

0kadZO5h.jpg

A little more ragged than I would have liked but I didn't hit the wires and the rough edge will be covered by the lid.

UhNoXHmh.jpg

06Wc2dsh.jpg

Carefully measure out the location on the ceiling and Success!

zU9hvhYh.jpg

True FTS before the corals go in this weekend or next (Its our anniversary this weekend so doing a lot of fishy things may be best held off for another week)

4Q02Uin.jpg

Stunning fixture, beautiful setup, and I love the art!. I am considering one of these fixtures for a smaller tank down the road. How is the shimmer with these lights?
How about an update.

ndppphZ.jpg

Wow - that is one of the best tanks on R2R or anywhere! Absolutely stunning. You now have me thinking that I've gone too big with my 96 gallon!

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure why my posts seemed to come in multiple times? Anyway, quick question, do you use a cover on this tank? I'd be terrified the angel would jump. Such a beautiful fish.

OP
OP
eschulist

eschulist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Wow - that is one of the best tanks on R2R or anywhere! Absolutely stunning. You now have me thinking that I've gone too big with my 96 gallon!

The shimmer is nice. The led clusters are fairly compact so the colors dont separate too much and cause a disco. Since they are clustered youre more likely to get caustics. The same reasons why people like kessils.

Thank you! The size is completely up to the hobbyist. I just tried to make the best out of the compact size.

Last edited:
OP
OP
eschulist

eschulist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure why my posts seemed to come in multiple times? Anyway, quick question, do you use a cover on this tank? I'd be terrified the angel would jump. Such a beautiful fish.

There is a window screen cover that is over the tank most of the time. Its only taken off if Im sitting downstairs for awhile, feeding, or taking pictures.

OP
OP
eschulist

eschulist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous tank!!!

I just ordered the big brother of your aquarium (22g long), and I'm still planning my stock list. Do you recommend an angelfish for this sort of aquarium?

Any of the dwarf angels should work. Its totally up to you on what colors and shapes of fish you are hoping to have.

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm in the middle of building out my new tank and I haven't put together a wish list yet for the livestock. I had ruled out dwarf angels as I want to maintain a few clams in the new tank but I think I saw that you had a clam in your old tank along with the Venustus Angelfish? Can you talk a bit about how this fish behaves in regards to its habbits with corals, clams, inverts etc. I'm in love with this fish and it quickly went to the top of my list! Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm in the middle of building out my new tank and I haven't put together a wish list yet for the livestock. I had ruled out dwarf angels as I want to maintain a few clams in the new tank but I think I saw that you had a clam in your old tank along with the Venustus Angelfish? Can you talk a bit about how this fish behaves in regards to its habbits with corals, clams, inverts etc. I'm in love with this fish and it quickly went to the top of my list! Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Ditto!!! Have been on the fence about getting myself one of these fish for awhile.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back