3 Hydra 52 HD 9” off the water in a 180... help

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I’ve asked before. New lights, new settings.

Again, I’d like to keep clams, some easier sps, leathers, LPS, BTA — I’d like the option of being able to keep darn near anything I wanted from a light perspective, but want my fish and coral to pop.

Coral I will keep - frogspawn, leathers, torch, hammer, zoa, montipora cap, and some of the easier cheap coral like star polyps, yellow polyps, button polyps, Kenya tree, devils hand, cabbage, anthelia, pulsing xenia, rbta, maybe a hardy bubble coral or something.

I keep very overstocked tanks full of fish so coral that need clean water will be disappointed.

I have three AI Hydra 52 HD mounted sideways accross a Standard 180 (72 x 24 x 25).

I’m having a bear of a time figuring out what to do! Here’s my tank with some BTA, polyps, and various leathers so far:

35AF19E0-E829-438D-84F1-87FCD15990D5.jpeg

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
;Stig
Hydra settings 12-5-17.PNG

kamike91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Okay I’ve asked before. New lights, new settings.

Again, I’d like to keep clams, some easier sps, leathers, LPS, BTA — I’d like the option of being able to keep darn near anything I wanted from a light perspective, but want my fish and coral to pop.

Coral I will keep - frogspawn, leathers, torch, hammer, zoa, montipora cap, and some of the easier cheap coral like star polyps, yellow polyps, button polyps, Kenya tree, devils hand, cabbage, anthelia, pulsing xenia, rbta, maybe a hardy bubble coral or something.

I keep very overstocked tanks full of fish so coral that need clean water will be disappointed.

I have three AI Hydra 52 HD mounted sideways accross a Standard 180 (72 x 24 x 25).

I’m having a bear of a time figuring out what to do! Here’s my tank with some BTA, polyps, and various leathers so far:

35AF19E0-E829-438D-84F1-87FCD15990D5.jpeg
I have a 125g 6 foot 72" x 18" x 21" with 4 hydra 52 hd, probably about a foot off the water. I've seen a lot of fancy programs out there, mine isn't anything special. Might add the ups and downs for cloud simulation. The program I made has let me keep anything from non photosynthetic dendros to light loving acros. Your rockscape will play a factor in shaded areas and light blasted areas as well. Just checked my par values today. Bottom gets a little over 200, middle 400, and very very very top under the water almost 600-700.
f7ed33b01af9425199f0aa86cb003fd7.jpg

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at @jsker 's latest pics and you tell me how it looks. I am using the same settings. I might tweak it a little, but basically the same setting. I was using the AB+ method, but it wasn't working for me.

kamike91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
And I have a 6 inch deresa 2 inch maxima, and 3 types of BTAs as well, a bunch of hammers, torches, frogspawn, chalices, leprosy, zoos, but mostly acropora.

Tbh I think people tend to over think the led settings too much. As long as you have a color temperature that you like and the corals are happy, set it and forget it. General consensus from the settings I've seen are uv and violet medium intensity, royal blue and blue up high because that's where most of the corals get their photosynthesis from, green and red low (due to red fueling the photosynthesis of nuisance algae), and white low or medium to fill in the gaps of missing wavelengths (because white light has them all). Then simply ramp up and ramp down. Wallah.

kamike91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Look at @jsker 's latest pics and you tell me how it looks. I am using the same settings. I might tweak it a little, but basically the same setting. I was using the AB+ method, but it wasn't working for me.
Speaking of not changing led settings...What kind of coral do you keep? I might copy that program too lol.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I have a 6 inch deresa 2 inch maxima, and 3 types of BTAs as well, a bunch of hammers, torches, frogspawn, chalices, leprosy, zoos, but mostly acropora.

Tbh I think people tend to over think the led settings too much. As long as you have a color temperature that you like and the corals are happy, set it and forget it. General consensus from the settings I've seen are uv and violet medium intensity, royal blue and blue up high because that's where most of the corals get their photosynthesis from, green and red low (due to red fueling the photosynthesis of nuisance algae), and white low or medium to fill in the gaps of missing wavelengths (because white light has them all). Then simply ramp up and ramp down. Wallah.
Stupid question— how does one ramp up or ramp down? I simply adjust the colors. I don’t know how to do the programs with ups and downs to simulate clouds and what not, mine just has 2 hour ramp up and two hour down.

Thanks everyone for the input, I know this topic is beat like a dead horse!

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go into manual mode, there you can upload a light program and it will install. Do this on a pc if you can

I have a bunch of them. can send any or all of them to you if you want.

kamike91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Stupid question— how does one ramp up or ramp down? I simply adjust the colors. I don’t know how to do the programs with ups and downs to simulate clouds and what not, mine just has 2 hour ramp up and two hour down.

Thanks everyone for the input, I know this topic is beat like a dead horse!
Lol what's wrong with wanting and answer for yourself? So there's three ways to program...easy setup, which is what I'm assuming you're using, and that can work great. Or if you want Bell curves and ups and downs for clouds and what not you'll have to put in every single time plot on the program yourself...or you can just download and upload someone else's program too.

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of not changing led settings...What kind of coral do you keep? I might copy that program too lol.

My tank is new, only 3 months old. I had to rescue a FOWLR tank that the support broke on. Decided to go reef this time. Right now I have a Hammer, couple Zoas, pink CP, Monti caps, Bird's nest, GSP, Gorgonian, and another that is yet to be identified. You can see my tank in my build thread in my sig

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go into manual mode, there you can upload a light program and it will install. Do this on a pc if you can

I have a bunch of them. can send any or all of them to you if you want.
Yes programs would be awesome! I’ll pm you my email, If that’s alright

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you keep with that lighting? How many do you have over what area? And your image is blurry.
Mixed reef, with the two light for 48l x 18w x21 d I have found that I had to turn down the light because I was burning up my corals. My Maroons still hide under the nems during the 5 hour whites.
IMG_5040.JPG

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean, Mine are perfect:D:D:D:D:D

If I do make a change, I will raise the intensity of the white a tad at the end or possible lengthen the CW period another 30 to 60 minutes.

My cyano, diatom went away when I cut the CW to 5 hours. I have been having issues since I started using the lights. I have to thank @WWC for sharing their settings which made all the difference. Each system is different and each system is going to need some tweaks:)

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow so many of you know what you’re doing for sure! I’m excited to try some for size!

kamike91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mixed reef, with the two light for 48l x 18w x21 d I have found that I had to turn down the light because I was burning up my corals. My Maroons still hide under the nems during the 5 hour whites.
IMG_5040.JPG
Good point. You're making me think I need to lower the intensities too..

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back