300 gallon skimmer suggestions

Daveb300

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having a custom 300 gallon tank built and looking for Skimmer suggestions. I was looking at the reef octopus Regal 250 int and the elite 220 int. I Like the one piece cone shape of the elite but I'm not sure if it would be big enough because it is rated for a medium bio-load of 250 and the Regal 250 is rated for a 475 medium bio-load. Anyone have experience with these two Skimmers? I am open to other suggestions but I would like to stay under $1000 if possible however I would consider a bubble king if they are really worth the money and have a long life.

Last edited:

jdiefenbaugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Regal 300 Int on my 300. It works pretty well, but I'm always skeptical of octopus pumps longevity. I would've preferred a royal exclusive, but I could buy 4 reef octopus skimmers for the price of 1 RE.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having a custom 300 gallon tank built and looking for Skimmer suggestions. I was looking at the reef octopus Regal 250 int and the elite 220 int. I Like the one piece cone shape of the elite but I'm not sure if it would be big enough because it is rated for a medium bio-load of 250 and the Regal 250 is rated for a 475 medium bio-load. Anyone have experience with these two Skimmers? I am open to other suggestions but I would like to stay under $1000 if possible however I would consider a bubble king if they are really worth the money and have a long life.
Either skimmer a good choice. The regal more a work horse, the elite more sexy. Although the elite on the small side skimmers work better and run more stable when a bit undersized. Except in this day of dc controlled pumps you can more easily dial down the regal to accommodate. Can also add a valve to air hose intake to adjust further. Most bubble kings have an air intake adjustment. Which is a nice option but can be more complicated to dial in. Not going to bash bubble king, it’s awesome, but the hefty price doesn’t make you immune to problems, have heard of issues with them. And won’t bash lifereef neither, they are good producers of skimmate, but much bigger, older style design leaves you to buy and size a pump to then try and dial in. If you have a bunch of extra room and height for a skimmer, and time to tinker, go for it

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an elite. It’s served me well. 4 years and cleaned the pump twice

NYCMAN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bashsea skimmers are highly effective. I replaced my Lifereef (a great one) with a Bashsea (a better one). Put a Bashsea CO2 scrubber on the air input and a Bashsea cup overflow container on the output. Running it for about 5 months. Spectacular.

NYCMAN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
btw, the Lifereef calcRx is amazingly good. I replaced it with a GeoReef, to get the second chamber to buffer PH. Not sure that worked. I think the stability of Alk with the Lifereef is amazing. The Georeef is at best an equal, but more expensive.

heliguy71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bashsea skimmers are highly effective. I replaced my Lifereef (a great one) with a Bashsea (a better one). Put a Bashsea CO2 scrubber on the air input and a Bashsea cup overflow container on the output. Running it for about 5 months. Spectacular.

NYCMAN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here you go... Three complete Bashsea PVC plumbed sumps...Reef, Planted, Cichlid. The freshwater tanks were using the Bashsea biofilters.

IMG_4667.jpeg IMG_4666.jpeg IMG_4665.jpeg IMG_4664.jpeg

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 89 87.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back