300 Mixed Reef Build

New Wave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm excited to announce I'm finally beginning my 300 build... Bill and I started the build tonight... Its going to be awesome!!! Bigger and better than the 240 build.. I guarantee it! Stay tuned!!! :-D YAY!!!! IM SO EXCITED!!!!

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ThisThreadIsWorthless.jpg

OP
OP
New Wave

New Wave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i didnt get any photos of the "swap"... unfortunately... but thank you very much to greg, mike, bill, hjavier, dallas, and everyone else who donated their time and muscle to making the move... if i forgot you... im sorry.. im just an idiot.. but please... chime in and point it out...

the aquarium is the 300 ocea (SP) from our friends at the AC... THANK YOU!

first thing we did was take out the old 240... and once we had that out.. we had to modify the stand to fit the 300... which... all things considered... it went fairly smooth...

OP
OP
New Wave

New Wave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i opted to buy a tank already built as opposed to having one custom built... simply for cost... that one i bought is nice... but had to have some mods... im kinda surprised that the tank was not properly built from the get go... it makes you wonder... who is building these things... obviously the overflows are not nearly big enough for the surface area... so. they had to go...

this is the original overflow
photo.jpg

i decided to go ahead an build glass overflows which will allow me to fill the tank while i wait for the covers to be made... these are the new glass overflows bill and i installed... they are twice the size as the originals... we've estimated that these are 7 gal..
newoverflow.jpg

and for comparison:
twooverflow.jpg

OP
OP
New Wave

New Wave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the aquarium had these huge glass braces accross them... i wanted to take them out because of the maintainence, and access issues... so i called the manufacturer... and they said not to take them out... but after looking at them... and seeing how close to the water surface they were... there is no question... they had to go... luckily.. Bart had run accross this before and had an excellent solution... which ill include later... but basically... that means i couls remove these things...
this is the braces... there were 2 of them
glasstop.jpg

and now... MUCH better :)
opentop2.jpg

OP
OP
New Wave

New Wave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so... basically.. this is where we are now... got the tank modified... and in place... these are the front and back photos for today... we'll be working more on it today... and maybe ill have made more progress for tomorrows post :)

newtankback.jpg

newtankfront.jpg

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mods look good. This is going to be an awesome build. Good luck to you, hopefully the reef gods will smile down upon you on this one.

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:cry: i want a fish room!!!!!

mel you suck.. :kiss:

interested in seeing the bracing

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last tank was 8 x2 x 2, I think this one is still 8 ft long but deeper

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good man. I do like the way the brace bart made on his 185 looks very very clean. I am guessing you will be adding 2 or three of them?

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 28 36.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 9 11.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 31.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 18.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back