OP
OP
New Wave

New Wave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea... I think Barts idea was excellent... I'm going to use a variation of what he did... I'm going to use two to start... But Im going to make 3 so I have a back-up...

The old tank was 8' x25" x 24" 240
The new tank is 8' x 23" x 30" 300

I haven't done the math to see that it's 300... Just going by the sticker... I don't know how to calculate the volume... So if anyone wants to double-check that for me... I'd be grateful :)

Today Bill and I worked on the plumbing... And added the rock back into the tank to begin the aqua-scape (ugh!)

I'll post updated photos in the morning.

Thank you all For tagging along on the build... It's going to be bad-butt!!!! :-D

OP
OP
New Wave

New Wave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GARY!!!!! I knew I was forgetting someone... Thank you for the help moving bro!!! :-D

commonstranger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To calculate water volume multiply length x width x height and divide total by 231. Best of luck Mel I know it will turn out great.

Zef004

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice Mel. Glad to see you take those braces off. That's only thing I didn't like about that tank. Looking forward to see your build bud. I sure it goin to be nice.

OP
OP
New Wave

New Wave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so.. this morning... i went to the metal shop and started the fabrication of my replacement braces... the idea is cool... so hopefully ill be able to pick them up this afternoon and install them shortly... cant wait to see them... i also stopped by the local window tint shop and grabbed the tint for the back... so basically there is tons of work to do this weekend :)

ok... so here are some photos from the work we did last night..
we installed the return and overflow plumbing... these are gurgle buster... something or others... made by bill from the 240.. the were easy to mod for the 300.. or shall we say 299.22 gal.. (according to rhetts formula 96x24x30)
overflowplumbed.jpg

and the under side
returnplumbing.jpg

drains to where the filter socks will hang
drainplumbing.jpg

this is the manifold... i built it in the 240 build.. but its too sweet to replace... besides... i probably couldnt buld it twice :)
manifoldbuild.jpg

threw the rock in... havent done the aquascape yet.. last time took me a week to do it... i played with it last night a little... but havent come up with anuthing yet...
addrock.jpg

so basically... heres the updated back shot... it looks MUCH cleaner than the 240 after the plumbing is installed...
backday2.jpg

and now to begin making the water... and we wait.... :-D
makewater.jpg

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice updates and pics. I wanna know more about these gurglebuster sumthinorothers...

OP
OP
New Wave

New Wave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea.. he calls them hofer gurgle busters... or something like that... its a type of overflow... they are very quiet once you get them tuned... ill let bill explain a little more.. and ill take better photos and post them later of how they work...

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have an ETA? Or just going doing it one day at a time.

OP
OP
New Wave

New Wave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i hope to have it running this weekend... but there is still alot to this build... so... if i have it mostly done in the next 6 weeks.. ill be happy... but you and i both know... the build is really never finised :)

islander84

Island Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mel your memory is about as bad as mine! Lol! Looking good ill try and stop by in the next week or so.

OP
OP
New Wave

New Wave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok... we got some cool things done today... i had used window tint on the last tank... and i loved it... so we put the back tint on today... and tomorrow ill put on the sides...
tint.jpg

i decided to not use foam under this tank because i kinda wanted to gain that extra 3/4" in height... so i called the manufacturer and they said that it was fine to not use foam under this particular tank... as long a it was pretty lavel on the stand... i decided here to go ahead and shim anywhere i could just to be on the safe side.. of course ill cut these later... :)
shim.jpg

here is the braces i was talking about... its a take off of Barts idea.. THANK YOU BART... i had a metal fabricator make these for me... theyre not finished yet... but you can see the idea and how it should be more than effective for keeping the glass from bowing and still allowing virtually full access to the tank
braces.jpg

basically... we just welded a nut onto the top af a piece of angle iron... and used a threaded rod to adjust the fit
bracecloseup.jpg
\
and the most exciting work for today... we worked on the aquascape... it doesnt look as cool in the photos.. .but believe me... its freakin sweet... there is TONS of room for placing coral... and a TON of open sandbed... I LOVE THE WAY THIS LOOKS :)
landscapeleft.jpg

landscapewhole.jpg

YAY!!!!!! :)

OP
OP
New Wave

New Wave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea... i didnt want to go bare bottom last time... i originally used "premium grade" sand... it was terrible... the powerheads blew it everywhere so i took it out... i just never put sand back in it... because i was waiting to get new glass...

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back