OP
OP
New Wave

New Wave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So.. Alot of people have been curious to know how effective or necessary the cross braces are... Well... I don't know... I thought that maybe they were just "back-up" and that if they are not actually doing anything...then they should... In theory... Be able to lift off the tank after it is filled... So... I tried to remove them... But surprisingly they were impossible to remove... So... The tank has definitely flexed under the weight of the water and transferred a considerable load to the braces... (in case you were wondering) :)

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OH yes. they are there for a reason to keep it from flexing. the only way you can remove them safely now is to drain the water.

OP
OP
New Wave

New Wave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok... update... last night i began working on the sump... im using a 100g rubermaid.. the best sumps in the hobby.. i like the open sump... so first i made the trey for the filter socks... which you saw earlier... these pieces im using are just regular stackable shelving for the hardware store... i had to modify the ont to fit in the sump... but the top shelf fits just perfect... i did have to cut a piece of PVC as a leg in the middle so that the shelf would not bow under the weight... i drilled several holes in the bottom of the PVC leg... to keep the water inside from becoming stagnated...
sumpshelf.jpg

next is the skimmer... i changed skimmers for the last build... the last one i had was rated equally...
just had the chance to move to the bubble king... and plus... hey.. its red! :)
skimmer.jpg

coincidentally... the heaters fit perfectly inside the shelving... im using eheimjagger... im using 2-250w... and its easy to see in this configuration if they are on... controlled by the RKE... which ill get into later... right now... its just temporarily in place running the few things i have going...
heater.jpg

i mounted the float switch here in the sump... controlled but the controller
atofloat.jpg

and of course my home made dip-stick... drilled at 5 gal per hole... this makes the top off level and water changes easy to monitir...
waterlevelstick.jpg

and this is where it is so far... :)
sumpandskimmer.jpg

Last edited:

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mel, do you ahve the sump baffeled out at all? how do you deal with microbubbles in it? I seem to notice a good deal of particulate thru mine. then again, I may be running alot more water thru it.

OP
OP
New Wave

New Wave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No... I don't have the sump baffled... I return thru filter socks... And return pump intake is at the very bottom of the sump... It's rare that I have microbubbles... Less my sump is low... But I keep the sump filled... True 100g and a solid 24" above the return intake

1tyme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great seller, New friend

:bigsmile:Great build. Man when I grow up ! Thanks for all your support. Looking forward to learning how to post pictures. God Bless.

wld1783

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great build.

Good choice on using the iron braces. Its surprising the amount glass will flex with that much water pressure.

Zef004

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here.
Doing a goodjob and I'm sure this going to be awsome tank like your last one.

OP
OP
New Wave

New Wave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, thank you, thank you, and thank you :) and everyone for your kind words!

I havent worked much on the tank the last couple of days.... I spent the time tearing down the temporary housing I had setup during the changing of the glass... The tank is full and running... Keeping an eye on the levels... So far just trace amounts of ammonia and NO2... Seeing a little diatoms.. But very little... Im dosing the microbactor 7 daily... So maybe... ? Hopefully I'll have a chance to work on the tank the next few days... And get some new updated photos :)

islander84

Island Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how much of the mb 7 are you dosing? i add about 10 drops every other day to 210 gal volume. if i dose too much i see a small amount of diatoms

poolkeeper1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great build.

Good choice on using the iron braces. Its surprising the amount glass will flex with that much water pressure.
And it will be even better with the Reef Led Lights Custom Fixture By Poolkeeper1, We will be using their products for the Led Build for this System.
More to come as It's in the works and awaiting Parts.
Bill

OP
OP
New Wave

New Wave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok... got a few more things going over the last week or so... not as much as i wanted... but... i did get 2 of the reactors inline...
i love these things... they are built very well... im running carbon and GFO right now... im going to run one more reactor custom built by rick with ecobak... see how that works for me...
reactors.jpg

so... this is the placement...
skimmerandreactors.jpg

i run the reactor drains to the filter socks... here you can see for the first time what the custom shelf looks like with the pieces in place...
filtersocks.jpg

i have the RODI up and running... this is the absolute max i can run off the pressure to my home... its 9 stage...
1 prefilter
2 carbon
3 RO membranes
3 DI cartridges
it makes a ton of water... which helps with keeping up with the top off and 50gal weekly water changes.
rodi.jpg

yay... one more thing done :)

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back