300 Mixed Reef Build

Jennifier615

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mel, I got to wondering...the old 240 was it ever anything but a reef tank? I was thinking could the redbugs have come as a symbiotic fish parasite that exploded when corals were introduced into the same system? Something that is from the realm of puffers and triggers?

For those of you reefers about to "rock"- we salute you ;)

OP
OP
New Wave

New Wave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how much of the mb 7 are you dosing? i add about 10 drops every other day to 210 gal volume. if i dose too much i see a small amount of diatoms

As directed... 60 ml / day for startup (6 caps) interesting fact.. The bottle says the cap is 5ml... However the cap is 10ml on the bottle that I have.

OP
OP
New Wave

New Wave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet mel looking good .. is 9 stages really nescesary lol mel has -60 tds water :p

I wish i could add more... I talked with spectrapure... They said this is the most I could put in my home based on the water pressure... This puppy cranks out 250g of 0ppm rodi water in one day... (I don't like waiting around) ;)

OP
OP
New Wave

New Wave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mel, I got to wondering...the old 240 was it ever anything but a reef tank? I was thinking could the redbugs have come as a symbiotic fish parasite that exploded when corals were introduced into the same system? Something that is from the realm of puffers and triggers?

Yea... It was FO for a while... As far as where the worms came from... Or wether they were even the problem... I still don't know with certainty

OP
OP
New Wave

New Wave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can we get a full sump shot?

here ya go... its messy... but still a work in progress
sumpview.jpg

OP
OP
New Wave

New Wave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and still we build... the front of the wall of the aquarium was still the rough opening... so i worked on that a little... here is the before
wallbeforetrim.jpg

i added the first trim stage... to basically frame out the hole and cover the gaps... i still have more trim work to do... but here is where it stands for now... hopefully more to come soon...
wallclosed.jpg

one of the things i definately wanted was access to the front... this was done on the 240 build.. so it was easy to mod for the 300
i cut the wall above the tank... and lined up the boards and made an access panel thats virtually hidden...
wallopen.jpg

i simply used a piano hinge and some simple kicks to operate the door
paniohinge.jpg

underhood.jpg

one more thing to catch up on... is the sink... i installed this sink in the room... it sure makes life MUCH easier... you can see to the right side of the sink basin (inside) is two pipes.. a small black one... which is the drain of the RODI.. and the bigger white one... which is plumbed into the loop of the return pump and valved... this is where i can drain the system of water straight to the sink... and thanks to the super graduated stick i made... i know exactly how much water i am removing...
sink.jpg

and we build on...

OP
OP
New Wave

New Wave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow didnt realized you was this far along with living picture on the wall.

Ya like that? That is my little teaser of things to come... There is still a LONG way to go! But it's going to be HOT!!!

OP
OP
New Wave

New Wave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok.. So this weekend I was out of town... Didn't get alot done... But I did finally put all 5 mp40's in... And all I can say is... Oh baby!!!
:)

OP
OP
New Wave

New Wave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and.. finally got the stage 2 trim done... its ok... but im looking for ideas... so chime in on anything cool to add to the frame to make it less plain...
walltrim2.jpg

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who did the carpentry?

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its less carpentry... more.. boards thrown up on the wall :)

Lawls.

IMO, The Trim is Too Large and makes the tank look small, I noticed it today while i was there even before you posted.
Bill

Bill might be onto something.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 33 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 22.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back