OP
-Alex-

-Alex-

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a little weekend update. Everything is doing fine.
Some macros:

20181005-DSCF3717.JPG
20181005-DSCF3719.JPG
20181005-DSCF3720.JPG
20181005-DSCF3721.JPG
20181005-DSCF3722.JPG
20181005-DSCF3723.JPG
20181005-DSCF3724.JPG
20181005-DSCF3725.JPG
20181005-DSCF3731.JPG
20181005-DSCF3732.JPG
20181005-DSCF3747.JPG
20181005-DSCF3750.JPG
20181005-DSCF3744.JPG
20181005-DSCF3751.JPG
20181005-DSCF3754.JPG
20181005-DSCF3757.JPG

Happy reefing!

Adam G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, very beautiful tank. I love the structure you built with sand in it for your wrasses. It looks like a little sand pool. Can you explain how you built this? Did you fashion it out of some kind of concrete product?

ramona

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found it...stunning tank, I understand you started with dry Pukani rocks? How did you cycle?

OP
OP
-Alex-

-Alex-

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!
I stocked the tank from day 3 - 4 on with some pieces of live rock and many corals as competitor for the algae and kept my nutrients on a detectable level.
I had the normal algae phases but they were quickly gone

Lui1521

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank You! They are a bit tricky in placement and adjustment of the flow direction.
The first time I had them without deflector or something and the flow was very soft not reaching my front window. Now with the rectifier it’s a completely different pump, very powerful stream.
In terms of noise they are the best I ever had. Dead silent. I heard they are a bit louder with the deflector but I haven’t tried.
Hi! I also have a 6 ft peninsula. I’m currently having problem with not having enough flow on one end. 2 have 2 WAVs on my overflow side.

Whaat is a rectifier? Did you change your pumps on the initial post and where did you place them. Pics would help too!!!

Thanks in advance

OP
OP
-Alex-

-Alex-

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I had the same problem but with adding the rectifier to the Tunze Stream 3 the flow is strong enough to reach the front of the tank.

In this Video you can see the rectifier:

Currently I have 2 Stream 3 and 2 MP40s running but I’m not 100% satisfied and probably add two Gyre350s.

Lui1521

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I had the same problem but with adding the rectifier to the Tunze Stream 3 the flow is strong enough to reach the front of the tank.

In this Video you can see the rectifier:

Currently I have 2 Stream 3 and 2 MP40s running but I’m not 100% satisfied and probably add two Gyre350s.

Where did you place them? I hate that i try to increase the power on the wavs which causes a wave on the sirface and spills the water yet thecorals are not getting enough flow

gdemos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the very early stages of planning a Peninsula SPS reef, 400g, somewhat shallow due to lower ceiling height and ease of maintenance
Dimension 96" x 48" x 20".
I am giving alot of consideration to Flow, Sandbed or Barebottom, and Overflow.
I like your build and have some questions...

1) Curious why you went with ATI Hybrid + Radion LED. Why hybrid ATI why not just straight T5 + Radion. Is this because you wanted some LED spectrum in the middle of the tank?

2) My debate of sandbed vs. barebottom is same as most, and I feel it is even a more critical design element in a peninsula given the flow challenges.
my thought process is something like this:

+/- of barebottom:

a) +/- aesthetic: black or white bare bottom may have some reflective aesthetic properties (think colorful acros against a black backdrop) -- however in time that barebottom will carry very visible detritus, coraline, etc.!
b) + flow: barebottom allows for lots of flow across bottom
c) + maintenance: detritus clean up easier
d) + coral health: no sand to hit acros
e) - wrasses: better have sandbed

+/- of sandbed (aesthetic layer 1/4" - 2" depth):

a) + aesthetic: clean sand bed very natural looking
b) - flow: must be more careful
c) - maintenance: vacuum/turkey basting

I imagine you debated sandbed and I really liked your approach with a wrasse den bordered in rock rubble!! I also like how you mounted rockwork on a platform.

>Can you please comment on your wrasse den and what lead you to this, and please comment on your rockwork platform, how did you do this? /materials/fasteners/etc. and please comment on your overall sandbed vs. barebottom debate. Any regrets? how is everything looking long-term?
>Please comment on lighting choice (ATI hybrid vs. straight t5)
>Any suggestions for those building a large peninsula sps tank? lessons learned?

Thanks & I love your tank!
-Greg Demos

gdemos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the very early stages of planning a Peninsula SPS reef, 400g, somewhat shallow due to lower ceiling height and ease of maintenance
Dimension 96" x 48" x 20".
I am giving alot of consideration to Flow, Sandbed or Barebottom, and Overflow.
I like your build and have some questions...

1) Curious why you went with ATI Hybrid + Radion LED. Why hybrid ATI why not just straight T5 + Radion. Is this because you wanted some LED spectrum in the middle of the tank?

2) My debate of sandbed vs. barebottom is same as most, and I feel it is even a more critical design element in a peninsula given the flow challenges.
my thought process is something like this:

+/- of barebottom:

a) +/- aesthetic: black or white bare bottom may have some reflective aesthetic properties (think colorful acros against a black backdrop) -- however in time that barebottom will carry very visible detritus, coraline, etc.!
b) + flow: barebottom allows for lots of flow across bottom
c) + maintenance: detritus clean up easier
d) + coral health: no sand to hit acros
e) - wrasses: better have sandbed

+/- of sandbed (aesthetic layer 1/4" - 2" depth):

a) + aesthetic: clean sand bed very natural looking
b) - flow: must be more careful
c) - maintenance: vacuum/turkey basting

I imagine you debated sandbed and I really liked your approach with a wrasse den bordered in rock rubble!! I also like how you mounted rockwork on a platform.

>Can you please comment on your wrasse den and what lead you to this, and please comment on your rockwork platform, how did you do this? /materials/fasteners/etc. and please comment on your overall sandbed vs. barebottom debate. Any regrets? how is everything looking long-term?
>Please comment on lighting choice (ATI hybrid vs. straight t5)
>Any suggestions for those building a large peninsula sps tank? lessons learned?

Thanks & I love your tank!
-Greg Demos

Also -- did you ever contemplate building a closed loop for flow on far end? what made you decide for/against closed loop

gdemos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please comment further on your approach with Sangokai (first i've seen about this method). what steps/products are involved?
And I see that you have a DaStaco CaRx yet you are also dosing trace elements plus a good water change routine with frequent ICP testing.
What media are you using in the CaRx, and what elements have you found are not completely provided by the reactor media and are therefore dosing?

OP
OP
-Alex-

-Alex-

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Greg,
Sorry for my late reply, I wasn't a lot at home and very busy.

Curious why you went with ATI Hybrid + Radion LED. Why hybrid ATI why not just straight T5 + Radion. Is this because you wanted some LED spectrum in the middle of the tank?

I started with the ATI Hybrid only but for a 90 cm Tank it was not enough on the sides to keep SPS down to the bottom, so I bought the Radions. It works quite well but next time I would probably go a different way.

Also -- did you ever contemplate building a closed loop for flow on far end? what made you decide for/against closed loop

Yes. I even had a Royal Exclusive RD 230 W here for that but finally decided to not do it for two reasons.

1. Safety. If something fails it is worst case because you have holes at the lowest point of your tank, and I got no experience with CL on my own...

2. It is not very flexible. What if the planned CL not produces the flow the way I want it.

But flow is absolutely a critical point for a peninsula, at least if you don’t want pumps on your front window. That was one reason to go bare bottom.

I think bare bottom tanks are a bit more reactive to changes and the sand is kind of a stabilizer, but I would absolutely do it the same way again. You can increase the flow and the sand traps a lot of dirt, causing a lot of problems in long term.

Please comment further on your approach with Sangokai (first i've seen about this method). what steps/products are involved?
And I see that you have a DaStaco CaRx yet you are also dosing trace elements plus a good water change routine with frequent ICP testing.
What media are you using in the CaRx, and what elements have you found are not completely provided by the reactor media and are therefore dosing?

I switched away from Sangokai, as my molybdenum raised continuously.
Now I am dosing Tropic Marin A- K+ elements, Bacto balance and Reef actif.
Super happy with that.

In my Dastaco I have the Dastaco pure media. Main elements are quite stable, only strontium and fluorine I dose additionally.

Alex

Back