310 gallon Planet Build

TeJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was asked to maybe start a thread here with my new tank/build but I warn you, it will move slowly due to kids. I was in the hobby as a teenager and did it for 15 years and took a break for 15 years till I bought a house. I knew my past girlfriends always complained of me messing around with the tanks so I decided to go big or go home with the wife I currently have. Main reason I got into the hobby was because a co-worker needed to clear out his two big homes and I decided to tear down the 400 gallon Acrylic tank for free. I’ll try to post pictures of the tank I was given but I eventually traded it for 240 gallon glass tank. After reading on here, I decided to get a new tank since it’s in my living room and don’t know the age of the tank I was given. I never even got around to setting the 240 gallon up before I got my 310 gallon and I kind of like the look of two tanks but not sure my floor can handle it. When I left the hobby, deep sand beds were big and only one company I knew of made LED lights. Yellow and blue tangs were cheap also, but this was before Nemo came out. I would think of this as a build you could all help me with if you want.

96085A56-FA82-4FFA-BDB2-6AC239A3B874.jpeg

OP
OP
T

TeJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was told to check my floor load to see if this was safe. I eyeballed the 310 thinking it was close enough to the beam and end of house but wanted a professional looking at it. I only have one structural engineer company near me and I contacted them about my tanks. It was the first they had heard of anyone needing help with a reef tank. I offered to pay but he said to just send him all the measurements and pictures he needed for an answer. My white tank sits in my formal dining room and I need it far enough away from the window so that I can change the channel springs when the break (the windows need to be horizontal to take them out) so it sits kinda far away from my window. I was told that my floor could hold the weight I indicated (4000lbs). Hopefully 4000lbs was a good answer for weight. It’s a short span from the edge of the house to the first beam under the white tank and it goes across multiple joists. I will attach a pic of the build of my house. The black tank needs help and part of my basement is finished under the black tank.

5854A9CC-0792-495E-A2EC-4387214CCFC6.jpeg

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good - Use your own judgement on the floors. I have a 400 gallon and one side may sitt on a load bearing beam and the other side few feet away. I am sure any professional would tell me you are good but it can be as cheap as a $50 fix or $300 to add to ensure your floors near your tank are never stressed. Think about how many times in a year you'll have 15+ ppl drooling over your tank (pre covid) lol

OP
OP
T

TeJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks good - Use your own judgement on the floors. I have a 400 gallon and one side may sitt on a load bearing beam and the other side few feet away. I am sure any professional would tell me you are good but it can be as cheap as a $50 fix or $300 to add to ensure your floors near your tank are never stressed. Think about how many times in a year you'll have 15+ ppl drooling over your tank (pre covid) lol

I’ve researched this before and never found good pics. What was a common thing to do? Sister the joists or add 1 jack post with a shirt piece of 4x4 under the middle? If I don’t sell the black tank, I need to add support at the left side since it goes parallel with the joists.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I was just thinking about that (Joist on one of your tank). My tank will be sitting on parallel also so what i plan on doing (since hardwood is being redone anyways), add a 3/4 plywood where the tank stand will be. drill a few holes in the subfloor and figure out exactly where the tank will be hitting. I'll use 2x8 lumber and add additional joist (maybe 2). Once I have that figured out glue few 2x8 together (have them going the other way), and have them supported by 2 floor jacks. I'll have a build thread soon enough but this is the only way I can see it being done correctly. My tank will weight over 7000LBS

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back