$3120 for a Gem Tang??!!???

Elgringodiablo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This makes me laugh, on what planet does a Gem Tang sell for over $3k??? Is that what they cost 10 years ago or something?? I've seen those as cheap as $850 lately.

https://www.saltwaterfish.com/product-eibi16459-gem-tang-25-35-inch

At least you can't say they are undercutting their wholesale clients (yeah, Saltwaterfish.com is the retail front for Sea Dwelling Creatures).

U

User1

View Badges
LFS was asking 4k for theirs. This LFS would be the last place on earth I would buy a fish from let alone one running 4k. I don't think it ever sold. It was moved about their displays finally and I'd wager it is long dead by now.

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A sponsor here about 2 weeks ago was advertising $799 with alive arrival guarantee only.
Personally i wouldn't pay even that much for a fish with no guarantee after arrival. Tangs are ich magnets and 1k-4k is a lot of money to sink.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going off memory (to lazy to check) ...... collection of Gems has widened considerably in the last couple of years. No longer just a single Mauritius source ..... Some vendors apparently don't know this or hope you don't. I see them with far more frequency and the sweet spot for a 3" fish is in the $800 range. Still a lot for a fish .....

..... and what's with the $3,119.97 ..... Won't accept a penny less LOL

Last edited:

tiggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that's way out of whack. I've seen two sponsors have them for under $900 in the past week, one of which probably has 20+ of them in stock right now, all of which are already fully quarantined, treated, and conditioned to eat frozen food.

I get that business is business and I'm the first one to point out that someone can charge whatever they like, but the places trying to get $2500+ for these either have the worst wholesalers on the planet or they're trying to pull a fast one on folks that may not know the price has dropped significantly in the last couple of years.

OP
OP
Elgringodiablo

Elgringodiablo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like the multi-thousand dollar price tag reflects their availability like 5 years ago. At the $800-900 range, I'd buy one, eventually if I had a big tank to fill with dream fish, just don't have the space and mix for one, all of my tanks have an existing tang or are too small. Pretty sure my desjardini would flip out if I tried adding another tang to his tank and he's the only fish I've ever found that will eat bubble algae but not corals.

OP
OP
Elgringodiablo

Elgringodiablo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that's way out of whack. I've seen two sponsors have them for under $900 in the past week, one of which probably has 20+ of them in stock right now, all of which are already fully quarantined, treated, and conditioned to eat frozen food.

I get that business is business and I'm the first one to point out that someone can charge whatever they like, but the places trying to get $2500+ for these either have the worst wholesalers on the planet or they're trying to pull a fast one on folks that may not know the price has dropped significantly in the last couple of years.
Saltwaterfish.com is owned by a wholesaler. Apparently their wholesale price is about $500 more than some places are retailing them for. I get that they are less available on the west coast, but doesn't justify that much of a price hike.

OP
OP
Elgringodiablo

Elgringodiablo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS was asking 4k for theirs. This LFS would be the last place on earth I would buy a fish from let alone one running 4k. I don't think it ever sold. It was moved about their displays finally and I'd wager it is long dead by now.
In SoCal? If it's who I think it is, they likely paid too much buying it from the same wholesaler and applied the standard retail markup.

CODE3EMT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune Aquatics in SanJose, CA has one $1,600 if I'm not mistaken. LiveAquaria is a complete and total rip off if you ask me. You are essentially paying for the fish twice.... as I believe....... in my humble opinion...... thats where the 30 day guarantee is hidden.

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My friend owns a local fish store and i have seen his wholesale prices at which he buys you would be surprised to see the margins.
For example a $300 fish cost is about $50-75. A $40-60 fish cost is $5-15.

OP
OP
Elgringodiablo

Elgringodiablo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune Aquatics in SanJose, CA has one $1,600 if I'm not mistaken. LiveAquaria is a complete and total rip off if you ask me. You are essentially paying for the fish twice.... as I believe....... in my humble opinion...... thats where the 30 day guarantee is hidden.

To be clear, the link I posted is not LiveAquaria. LiveAquaria IS pricier than average, but their guarantee and free shipping can make it worth it. Also, while $1600 is a lot less insane, it’s still not a good price.

OP
OP
Elgringodiablo

Elgringodiablo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My friend owns a local fish store and i have seen his wholesale prices at which he buys you would be surprised to see the margins.
For example a $300 fish cost is about $50-75. A $40-60 fish cost is $5-15.

I wouldn’t be. I’ve seen wholesale prices. But yeah, that basically aligns with what I hear. Retail markup on livestock is pretty high.

I’d imagine sellers on the east coast landing them for $500 or less in volume.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think the price also varies depending on where the fish comes from. @4FordFamily could probably clarify the question on price variation among gem tangs

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the price also varies depending on where the fish comes from. @4FordFamily could probably clarify the question on price variation among gem tangs
Yup they used to be available only from Mauritius and that was the expense due to import restrictions and collection limitations. Now, they’re collecting them from nearby areas where far fewer restrictions exist and they can be had for significantly less.

OP
OP
Elgringodiablo

Elgringodiablo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup they used to be available only from Mauritius and that was the expense due to import restrictions and collection limitations. Now, they’re collecting them from nearby areas where far fewer restrictions exist and they can be had for significantly less.
So essentially, they are going off an outdated price. I feel like even a couple years ago they were still under $2k. These days there are very few fish that can fetch that kind or price outside of a few really rare wrasses and angelfish.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So essentially, they are going off an outdated price. I feel like even a couple years ago they were still under $2k. These days there are very few fish that can fetch that kind or price outside of a few really rare wrasses and angelfish.
They’re probably still sourcing from Mauritius. They may well not have had them in stock since they were $3,000. Many stopped buying them because they know they can be had for less and customers don’t care which island they come from— although the Mauritius island family that collects them is a pretty cool story I read somewhere here, and I hear they do very well caring for them.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Zebrasoma gemmatum This fish is collected by one fisherman in its range Mozambique Channel islands. An he has the market cornered and therefore can set his price and then all the other wholesalers tack on their fee's
Prefect candidate for captive breeding.:)

http://www.iucnredlist.org/details/177973/0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 26.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 31 30.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%

Back