OP
OP
Elgringodiablo

Elgringodiablo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re probably still sourcing from Mauritius. They may well not have had them in stock since they were $3,000. Many stopped buying them because they know they can be had for less and customers don’t care which island they come from— although the Mauritius island family that collects them is a pretty cool story I read somewhere here, and I hear they do very well caring for them.
I love well sourced fish as much as the next guy, but $3200 vs $800 is a no brainer... I feel like some of the places selling in the $800-1000 range even have better reputations for clean, healthy fish than Saltwaterfish.com. I've heard quite a few complaints about them, which I know may be a bit hyped up by our current 'one star yelp review' culture. I've got fish in my tanks from SDC that are totally healthy, but I had someone hand pick them.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love well sourced fish as much as the next guy, but $3200 vs $800 is a no brainer... I feel like some of the places selling in the $800-1000 range even have better reputations for clean, healthy fish than Saltwaterfish.com. I've heard quite a few complaints about them, which I know may be a bit hyped up by our current 'one star yelp review' culture. I've got fish in my tanks from SDC that are totally healthy, but I had someone hand pick them.
I wouldn’t buy one for 3k either, for what that’s worth. I don’t think many companies are actually moving any at or even remotely close to that price point — I’m guessing Mauritius no longer collects them because they cannot compete any longer.

That’s solely conjecture, however.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll take it a step further —- I predict that they’ll be $500 or sub $500 in the next 12-24 months and eventually end up around the price of an Achilles tang. I’m not basing that on anything specific other than what little I think I know about the distribution system and economics.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Even though that is out of wack prices are rising on tangs since close to 500,000 tangs less in the hobby now.
I see LA has yellow tangs on sale for more than double what they were on sale several months ago.

OP
OP
Elgringodiablo

Elgringodiablo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even though that is out of wack prices are rising on tangs since close to 500,000 tangs less in the hobby now.
I see LA has yellow tangs on sale for more than double what they were on sale several months ago.
I think people saw the Hawaii announcement as an opportunity to cash in. I bought a yellow tang for $20 a few weeks after that restriction and I still see a lot coming in from other places. Just had a fish transshipped from Hawaii about a month ago and the collector I spoke to there didn't really seem to be feeling the pressure. I suppose we shall see. End of the day, it would be great if this leads to more captive breeding programs.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think people saw the Hawaii announcement as an opportunity to cash in. I bought a yellow tang for $20 a few weeks after that restriction and I still see a lot coming in from other places. Just had a fish transshipped from Hawaii about a month ago and the collector I spoke to there didn't really seem to be feeling the pressure. I suppose we shall see. End of the day, it would be great if this leads to more captive breeding programs.

I am sure some did try to cash in..

Well I see few yellow tangs around here but in numbers far less.. Somewhere around 400,000 yellow tangs come from Hawaii so that is a large amount. I think of the few other places yellow tangs come from is Christmas island. . I think there was quite a few in the pipeline too. My LFS said there was little impact and now they have very little. Also wrasses seem harder to get. We shall see what happens.There will be more closures and restrictions coming.

The hobby is a long way from breeding tangs in quantity because most breed in large groups and broadcast spawn where they release eggs and sperm into the ocean the the eggs and then larvae float with the plankton.. Also impossible to tell male and female. Very hard to reproduce in captivity and may never fully happen. I know they have bred a few blue and ye allow tangs..

Captive raised post larval will most likely be the quickest option.

Last edited:

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TSM Corals has tanks filled with them. Price is right...

OP
OP
Elgringodiablo

Elgringodiablo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sure some did try to cash in..

Well I see few yellow tangs around here but in numbers far less.. Somewhere around 400,000 yellow tangs come from Hawaii so that is a large amount. I think of the few other places yellow tangs come from is Christmas island. . I think there was quite a few in the pipeline too. My LFS said there was little impact and now they have very little. Also wrasses seem harder to get. We shall see what happens.There will be more closures and restrictions coming.

The hobby is a long way from breeding tangs in quantity because most breed in large groups and broadcast spawn where they release eggs and sperm into the ocean the the eggs and then larvae float with the plankton.. Also impossible to tell male and female. Very hard to reproduce in captivity and may never fully happen. I know they have bred a few blue and ye allow tangs..

Captive raised post larval will most likely be the quickest option.
Flame Wrasses... Those haven't been very available from what I've seen. I was fortunate to get mine pre-ban.

U

User1

View Badges
Well...check out Divers Den (if it is still there)… gem tang $865.00 assuming discount(s) and whatever taxes. Was on another forum when a member posted this. Not my find by any means - I missed it.

OP
OP
Elgringodiablo

Elgringodiablo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well...check out Divers Den (if it is still there)… gem tang $865.00 assuming discount(s) and whatever taxes. Was on another forum when a member posted this. Not my find by any means - I missed it.
I’m not buying one. If I did, a couple places with good reputations have them for $800ish. I am really just pointing out a price that seems totally unrealistic. 3x or 4x the price online... better come with a multi year guarantee ;)

U

User1

View Badges
I’m not buying one. If I did, a couple places with good reputations have them for $800ish. I am really just pointing out a price that seems totally unrealistic. 3x or 4x the price online... better come with a multi year guarantee ;)

Yeah - I agree although I've had great luck with DD. I was just commenting at least they are somewhat closer to the $800 range outside of discounts.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
PRETTY THEY ARE, SPECIAL THEYRE NOT

Ive seen them as low as $800.....average at $1000. Still too much for my pocket. That will pay for a gorgeous tank system.

OP
OP
Elgringodiablo

Elgringodiablo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah - I agree although I've had great luck with DD. I was just commenting at least they are somewhat closer to the $800 range outside of discounts.

Totally!!! DD is sometimes cheaper than regular LA and the quality is pretty great. Eight and change on DD is a steal, especially if you have a discount code!

djreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Zebrasoma gemmatum This fish is collected by one fisherman in its range Mozambique Channel islands. An he has the market cornered and therefore can set his price and then all the other wholesalers tack on their fee's
Prefect candidate for captive breeding.:)

http://www.iucnredlist.org/details/177973/0

...and this is what folks fail to realize. Many of these fish come from parts of the world where people hate us. It’s extremely risky for them to be collected by anyone, who is considered an outsider. In some cases divers risk imprisonment, or worse to collect these animals.

DJ

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two on DD today, one from Mairitius one from Madagascar. Factor in the 20% sale and they were both at $800.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back