3181 algae reactor

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

ReeferMadness09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticed that the pump has stopped and there are no lights on the controller. It seems that the power supply is the same as the osmolator so I switched the power supply with a working one and still no power. Seems like the pump quit. I guess I'm looking at an entire pump/ controller replacement. Are replacements available?

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a spare pump in stock, but these have a 2 year warranty. If you send it in and I cannot repair it, if it is less than 2 years old and the cause is not water damage or neglect, it would be replaced under warranty.

Where I would start is making sure the impeller is not seized, it should pull out easily and a metal shaft should remain behind fixed in the motor. I would also make sure the controller did not sustain any water damage, the controller can be replaced as a seperate part.

DancingWind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticed that the pump has stopped and there are no lights on the controller. It seems that the power supply is the same as the osmolator so I switched the power supply with a working one and still no power. Seems like the pump quit. I guess I'm looking at an entire pump/ controller replacement. Are replacements available?
There is absolutely nothing special about the DC power supply. It has voltage and max power rating. Any PSU with same valtage and enough power will do.
Just make sure you do not mix + and - on the connector (for round jacks that have outer acotnact and inner pin/sleeve inner in 99% cases is + safety concer). All then info a\bout psu (voltage power and jack +/1 scheamtic) should be n psu.

Get a multimeter and make sure the psu is working.
Also led bar has its own psu? Im pretty sure its the same as stand alone refugium led bars. But if they are on 1 and everything stopped working seems like a PSU (aka common point of failure). And if everything is on 1 psu then ATO psu will not cut it. its 12W max IIRC and pump and LED bar is probably around 20W. so get a proper big power supply ant check.

ps.: I power my 3 tunze refugium led bars with 1 60w 12V meanwell psu .. and a bunch of pumps/controllers/dosers from another meanwell 100W 12W psu.
saves 7 power sockets :3

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is generally true, but be very careful with very cheap power supplies, think to the news stories of people shocked or electrocuted by cheap gas station iPhone chargers. If a power supply is cheap, you are generally compromising a great deal on safety and longevity, the extra cost is in heat sinks and a sufficient barrier between the high voltage side and low voltage side as well as fuses and thermal and ohmic overload shut offs, some of the cheapest units rely on fans and vents which are completely unsuitable around an aquarium. While we don't make power supplies, we do put a lot of time into testing the models we choose for the operating temperature and safety features and making sure the models we choose are safe and meet all Western safety standards. Meanwell is a good brand, but I wouldn't trust something that is suspiciously cheap.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back