32 vs 45 vs 60 Gallon Cube?

Which size?

• Total voters

NC122606

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know they say go a bit bigger but I feel this tanks would be the best fit or my area.
So I was just wondering which of these three tanks should I go for?

32 Gallon : 20.25" long X 21.875" Wide X 21.5" High

45 Gallon : 24" long X 24" Wide X 18" High

60 Gallon: 24" long X 24" Wide X 18" High

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say go as big as you can, if you feel the 60 is the biggest you can comfortably fit in your space than stick with that. Bigger really just means more space for livestock and it certainly ups the options fish wise. However it doesn't make sense to build something that overtakes the whole house or room. There needs to be balance overall. Could you sneak into a 93 Gallon cube? 30 x 30 x 24?

OP
OP
NC122606

NC122606

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say go as big as you can, if you feel the 60 is the biggest you can comfortably fit in your space than stick with that. Bigger really just means more space for livestock and it certainly ups the options fish wise. However it doesn't make sense to build something that overtakes the whole house or room. There needs to be balance overall. Could you sneak into a 93 Gallon cube? 30 x 30 x 24?
Thanks for the reponse! I do not think I would be allowed to go over 60 if even that. I would have to see but I think that a 93 would be pushing it a bit unfortunately. Don't get me wrong, I would love to go that big but I have limits to go by. :(

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reponse! I do not think I would be allowed to go over 60 if even that. I would have to see but I think that a 93 would be pushing it a bit unfortunately. Don't get me wrong, I would love to go that big but I have limits to go by. :(

What are these limitations? The boss? Certainly worth atleast pulling out a tape measure, some tape to mark things out on the floor and wall and figure things out for sure :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
NC122606

NC122606

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are these limitations? certainly worth atleast pulling out a tape measure, some tape to mark things our on the floor and wall and figure things out for sure :)
It has more to do with weight, I was limited to a 54 for discus while I was going to get a 75 gallon. I plan to maybe have this on the 2nd floor. So a 60 gallon cube would weight about 596 LBS, so it is more about the weight of the tank filled. If you understand that. :)

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has more to do with weight, I was limited to a 54 for discus while I was going to get a 75 gallon. I plan to maybe have this on the 2nd floor. So a 60 gallon cube would weight about 596 LBS, so it is more about the weight of the tank filled. If you understand that. :)

If it's placed properly I wouldn't be wildly concerned with the weight. Depending greatly on where exactly the tank is placed ofcourse

OP
OP
NC122606

NC122606

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's placed properly I wouldn't be wildly concerned with the weight. Depending greatly on where exactly the tank is placed ofcourse
It would love to have it in my bedroom but if I put it maybe in the basement it would work a lot better.

Victor_C3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I could’ve told my ex-wife that the 115 gallon tank I have right now is only 30 gallons and she’d never know the difference.

I started off planning on getting a 60 gallon cube and then opted to go for a 3-foot 90 gallon peninsula. By the time I was laying down money, I ended getting a custom built peninsula that measured 36” x 26” x 28” tall and came in at 115 gallons and twice the price of the 90 gallon tank I was going to buy.

A 3’ peninsula fits really nice next to the arm of my 3’ wide couch.

I voted for the 32 gallon cube as that is the next tank I want to setup. I’m planning on growing a mangrove our the top and setting up a seahorse tank for my daughter.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would love to have it in my bedroom but if I put it maybe in the basement it would work a lot better.

Well, if it's a basement, I'd have zero concern about the 93 or any tank that's under a few hundred gallons for that matter. But if you could figure out how your tank will sit in your room and how the joists are laid out you might be able to keep it in your room as well.

You know you want to.....
IMG_7687(1).jpg

:p

Victor_C3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, if it's a basement, I'd have zero concern about the 93 or any tank that's under a few hundred gallons for that matter. But if you could figure out how your tank will sit in your room and how the joists are laid out you might be able to keep it in your room as well.

You know you want to.....
IMG_7687(1).jpg

:p

Sharp looking tank.

And you could also throw in some floor jacks or install a few posts yourself underneath its location in the basement below. Then you could probably get as big of a tank as you want. If you’re even the slightest bit handy, it’s easy enough to do. If not, people will walk you through both on this forum or YouTube.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Side note, Innovative Marine makes a beautiful 50 gallon that just happens to be on sale....

OP
OP
NC122606

NC122606

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Side note, Innovative Marine makes a beautiful 50 gallon that just happens to be on sale....

Acutally a nice tank! Thanks!

OP
OP
NC122606

NC122606

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing the math right now on cost and everything. Will report back with my choice, but I think your guy's votes have put a toll on me. :)

Mr.Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Have been thinking about getting a 50 gallon for the past few months to upgrade my 10 gallon.

Just placed my order for an EXT 50 because of your post — thank you!!

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have been thinking about getting a 50 gallon for the past few months to upgrade my 10 gallon.

Just placed my order for an EXT 50 because of your post — thank you!!

Congratulations! That is fantastic news! I hope you really enjoy the 50 Lagoon, they are beautiful tanks, I have a couple Nuvo 10s and love them. Make sure you show off that awesome tank in a new build thread cause I'll be on the look out for it!

Last edited:

Mr.Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pull the trigger on the EXT 50 Lagoon too. Say's its's a pre-order for end of July shipment. I can't wait.
Nice!! I just finished plumbing and preliminary leak test. Need one more piece to finalize plumbing and will start cycling later this week. Will be starting a build thread shortly.
Super excited to get this going!

eddier2002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice!! I just finished plumbing and preliminary leak test. Need one more piece to finalize plumbing and will start cycling later this week. Will be starting a build thread shortly.
Super excited to get this going!
What kind of sump you are going with? I was thinking about a Triton sump like the Trigger 26 V2.

Mr.Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of sump you are going with? I was thinking about a Triton sump like the Trigger 26 V2.

That's exactly what I got actually!

Was on the fence on if I wanted to go cheaper DIY or just get what I really wanted and keep inside the stand just as nice as on top of the stand. Wanted to have the option of doing just a refugium with no skimmer and was hoping to keep a mandarin. Also, the Triton had two inputs for the drains which I thought was a cleaner look than the Sapphire 26" which has to run the emergency drain with no dedicated input.

Here's a couple pics of how I plumbed it. Let me know if you have any questions.

First time ever plumbing / using PVC and I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out.

IMG-2207.JPG
IMG-2208.JPG

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back