OP
OP
H

hunterallen40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Sounds good. I was considering 2 return pumps for redundancy 1 going to UV then Y junction bringing flow from both pumps together then up to tank

@tritonpower what you're describing there would be plumbing them in parallel, which is certainly doable. For my situation, I'm trying to plumb the sterilizer in so that it is more accessible for me, so it's a good distance from the return line... As such, head pressure would severely cap the high flow rates provided by the pumps. To plumb this up in a way that increases head pressure (while not increasing flow rate), it helps to plumb the returns in series: that is, the output of the first pump is directly plumbed into the input of the second pump. A good explanation can be found here.

Here's the model I spoke about, it's mostly finished. The gate valve (pictured as a ball valve here) is going to adjust the amount that goes straight up to the display, and the rest goes through the sterilizer, then back. The sterilizer takes 1.5" PVC, so there's a reducer to 1" PVC coming out of the sterilizer (and then into the 1" return to the display).

1674221415788.png

1674221484560.png

As for why I haven't done this yet... There's a couple reasons. The first reason is I don't see a need for it right now. I have an ozone generator, and that keeps the water clear and can kill the bad guys. I am really happy with the results from it so far!

OP
OP
H

hunterallen40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay! We got our ICP results.

Surprisingly, the selenium and cobalt levels were a little less than they were for our last test even though their daily dosages were being dosed at 2x their normal concentration! As such, we'll be dosing 3x the normal doses for those elements.

Iodine was also a bit lower than last test, so we'll be adding a couple drops to the total (now 15 drops seachem reef iodide daily).

Biggest surprise of all... Copper is detected at 0.21 µg/l, so we'll be supplementing that daily now (a very small 0.005 µg/l daily).

Aluminum is also down quite a lot to 82.6 µg/l, which is on the high side, but substantially lower than the 238.9 µg/l from our last test :grinning-face-with-sweat:.

For anyone curious, the full test results are here.

Last edited:

tritonpower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just when I was set on the WB 340.7 I saw the innovative marine NUVO EXT 200 at a discounted price. It is only 6 feet and 21.7 inches tall so smaller and less gallons then the 340.7 but the price is hard to pass up.

OP
OP
H

hunterallen40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just when I was set on the WB 340.7 I saw the innovative marine NUVO EXT 200 at a discounted price. It is only 6 feet and 21.7 inches tall so smaller and less gallons then the 340.7 but the price is hard to pass up.

This? Wow, yeah, that is quite cheap. It lacks the sump, the ATO, a lot of the plumbing, and the controller box, but that's a really slick design. I think you'd be very hard pressed to find a 200 gallon reef aquarium pre-drilled with a stand for $3k elsewhere.

Don't underestimate the plumbing costs, though! You don't want to skimp on quality there for the check valve(s) and your gate valves for the overflow.

OP
OP
H

hunterallen40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so a couple updates!

After that last set of updates, my alkalinity consumption has gone WAY up (from ~120 mL to ~160 mL BRS soda ash / day!). So, as a result, I broke down and ordered a calcium reactor (was also my birthday on Monday, so several birthday gifts helped to fund this effort). I'll post sometime tonight (hopefully) with the new setup!

Secondly, we will be getting some new fish shortly, as they have finished QT with @Dr. Reef .

Due to the fact that I already have an adult sailfin tang, I decided it would be best to just add all the new surgeon fish I wanted to get at the same time. Here's the list, I'm super excited (but also very nervous...):

* Gem Tang
* Powder Brown Tang
* Achilles Tang
* White Tail Bristletooth Tang
* Yellow Eye Spotted Kole Tang
* Moorish Idol (SUPER nervous about this guy, but I'm up for the challenge!)

Would love to hear some thoughts on the "just throw them in there" idea. My sailfin was really unhappy when the copper band was added, but did not care at all when I added the yellow tang (honestly shocked me). In principle, this should disperse the aggression. Hopefully the same in practice.

tritonpower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so a couple updates!

After that last set of updates, my alkalinity consumption has gone WAY up (from ~120 mL to ~160 mL BRS soda ash / day!). So, as a result, I broke down and ordered a calcium reactor (was also my birthday on Monday, so several birthday gifts helped to fund this effort). I'll post sometime tonight (hopefully) with the new setup!

Secondly, we will be getting some new fish shortly, as they have finished QT with @Dr. Reef .

Due to the fact that I already have an adult sailfin tang, I decided it would be best to just add all the new surgeon fish I wanted to get at the same time. Here's the list, I'm super excited (but also very nervous...):

* Gem Tang
* Powder Brown Tang
* Achilles Tang
* White Tail Bristletooth Tang
* Yellow Eye Spotted Kole Tang
* Moorish Idol (SUPER nervous about this guy, but I'm up for the challenge!)

Would love to hear some thoughts on the "just throw them in there" idea. My sailfin was really unhappy when the copper band was added, but did not care at all when I added the yellow tang (honestly shocked me). In principle, this should disperse the aggression. Hopefully the same in practice.
I am curious people's thoughts as well. I have a yellow and tomini and plan to add sailfin, powder brown, blue, and orange shoulder once the 6 foot tank comes. I am thinking I will add the yellow and tomini to the tank 1st and then order the other 4 and put them in all at once similar to how you are.

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks super fun :)

Have you thought about getting an Achilles and Achilles Tang Hybrid and put them in at the same time?

I had both and they complemented each other nicely...

OP
OP
H

hunterallen40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks super fun :)

Have you thought about getting an Achilles and Achilles Tang Hybrid and put them in at the same time?

I had both and they complemented each other nicely...

Thanks! I'm very excited for the new residents.

@nuxx love the fish. Thanks for sharing! Is that hybrid a white cheek / achilles hybrid? That's super cool if so. I decided powder brown because I thought three acanthurus would definitely be pushing it (in terms of bioload), and my wife (my partner in reefing) wanted a powder brown (my vote was for a white cheek or powder blue, but the boss gets what she wants :winking-face:).

OP
OP
H

hunterallen40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here's the calcium reactor!

1675613074761.png

It was definitely more difficult than anticipated to get this thing up and running, but I'm really pleased with the results so far. It's a bit louder than I would like it to be, but it's such a cool device I'll allow it.

This post has been delayed due to a sudden tragedy, I'm afraid... Our tassled filefish, piggy, has passed away. He caught some sort of bad bacterial infection (thread here), and, despite my very best efforts, I couldn't help him. We had that fish since he was less than two inches long, and he was most certainly the centerpiece of the reef. We're going to miss him quite a lot.

1675613375545.png

1675613388853.png

1675613536479.png

I'm not seeing any signs of stress with the rest of the fish, but I went ahead and put the old UV sterilizer I had on the system. I didn't plumb it into the return or anything, I just used the old return pump from my 75 gallon and have it running in its own loop. It's a 25 watt pentair. I have it running at speeds to help clear the dinos I have going on, but I'm going to reduce it down to ~100 gph soon for protazoans (while I finish designing my permanent solution with the 40 watt pentair).

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I'm very excited for the new residents.

@nuxx love the fish. Thanks for sharing! Is that hybrid a white cheek / achilles hybrid? That's super cool if so. I decided powder brown because I thought three acanthurus would definitely be pushing it (in terms of bioload), and my wife (my partner in reefing) wanted a powder brown (my vote was for a white cheek or powder blue, but the boss gets what she wants :winking-face:).

Yes it is an Achilles / White Cheek hybrid.

I was super happy that they got along.

Also was a different time in 2016/2017, wasn't really hard to get anything, nothing like now with all the restrictions.

OP
OP
H

hunterallen40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is an Achilles / White Cheek hybrid.

I was super happy that they got along.

I'm sure that was an amazing system to watch! I'm super excited for my Achilles -- they are such an amazing fish.

Also was a different time in 2016/2017, wasn't really hard to get anything, nothing like now with all the restrictions.

Yeah, my Hawaiian fish (which I guess is like half of my order lol) were NOT cheap... Most expensive on the list was the Gem tang (no surprise there), but the Achilles was $440 (quarantined, but still...)!!!

I think I saw that some of the restrictions are getting relaxed a bit, so hopefully this calms down in the future... Or maybe biota starts breeding achilles :p.

OP
OP
H

hunterallen40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The day has finally come... This morning, we added the new fish to the display! I'm incredibly happy with the fish we received, and I can't wait to get them all big and fat.

Unfortunately, there was a bit of a problem in transit, and the bag that had our yellow-eye kole tang burst on the way to us... So it looks like we will not be adding one to the display, since BOTH of the acanthurus tangs made it. RIP little guy, you look like you were a nice, healthy tang, and I'm very sad I won't be in with the rest of the tang gang.

Sad note aside, it's picture time!

First, the achilles tang is looking GREAT. He's already swimming all over, and is very friendly (he actually made it difficult to take pictures of the other new guys).

achilles_tang.JPG

Next, the powder brown! He's also swimming all over the place, and seems to be adapting well.

powder_brown_tang.JPG

Then there's the white tail bristle tooth tang. As gorgeous as they always are ;). I had quite a difficult time getting a picture of this one, as he is very active.

white_tail_kole_tang.JPG

Then there's the expensive gem tang. Very shy at first, but has been coming out more and more as the day has gone on.

gem_tang.JPG

Last but not least, the moorish idol! This specimen is a bit thin (pretty typical, I suppose), and is quite a bit smaller than I was expecting it to be. Nonetheless, it's picking at bits of algae here and there, and seems to be in great health. I'm definitely more nervous about this fish than any other in the system (purely by reputation), but I'm definitely going to give it my best! Tips for this species are very welcome if you have them.

moorish_idol.JPG

As for how the two tangs I had in there already are taking it... Honestly, very well. The giant sailfin tang immediately put his war paint on when I put the white tail bristle tooth tang in, but didn't really swing at it and ran to the opposite corner of the tank. He's just been pouting there for most of the day, but takes a swing at the new tangs when they get too close. I honestly expected the most trouble out of this guy, but I'm glad he's being nice (at least for now...).

The yellow tang, however, really doesn't like the moorish idol. I keep telling him that the idol isn't a tang, and that there's a new zebrasoma in the tank, but he seems to be convinced that the idol is the enemy. He has laid off him a bit, and doesn't seem to be doing any serious harm, but definitely going to stress out the idol if he keeps it up. He also has been chasing the other tangs, so the dispersion of aggression appears to be working as designed.

In general, I think this went really, really well. I'll keep everyone posted as we progress.

OP
OP
H

hunterallen40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice update, thank you for sharing.

Hope that YT leaves the Idol alone soon.

Following along and hoping for good news.

@Zero_Cool thanks! So far the yellow tang seems to be cooling off a bit, so I am hopeful that it's just a temporary hatred. It's not the really terrifying constant hunting and beating behavior that would make me really nervous, thankfully. It's just an infrequent, pointed attack because the moorish idol decided to exist... I don't think the idol is in too much danger from him, but the idol is pretty hesitant to leave the corner of the tank and explore. Hopefully he feels more comfortable soon.

The idol isn't eating ferociously, but he picks at food as it passes his face. He is awfully skinny, so I really hope this gets better. I was rather shocked to see him come in so small -- usually I think of them as larger fish. Just a baby, I guess :).

The rest of the tangs are definitely eating well, so I expect they'll fatten up soon enough :).

OP
OP
H

hunterallen40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a moorish idol, got him from a lfs. He really liked angel and butterfly frozen food. Would eat 2 cubes at a time.

That's awesome! It's my favorite fish. I have wanted one for a very long time. Any tips for keeping them are greatly appreciated! I'll have to try the angel and butterfly frozen food for him. I currently make my own food (based on BRS frozen reef chilli recipe).

RJT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really good to make your own food. It's a lot more cost efficient than buying prepared.

Which tang do you prefer the gem or Achilles?

OP
OP
H

hunterallen40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really good to make your own food. It's a lot more cost efficient than buying prepared.

Yeah, I 100% agree. I can also customize the blend to fit my fish better, as well as add some coral foods, selcon, amino acids, etc. It costs a good amount when you through those ingredients in, but the first batch I made is just about to run out and I made it in June :).

Which tang do you prefer the gem or Achilles?

I'm sure you won't take "both" as an answer, right? That's a really tough one. If I have to pick right now, I'm definitely enchanted by the achilles. It's an absolutely gorgeous fish, and I love how active and curious it is. Completely subject to change, though!

RJT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to make my own food but got lazy. Will do it again soon. Only issue I had was breaking off a small piece because I would freeze it in a gallon size freezer bag and sometimes it would get too thick.

I am debating about gem or Achilles. Price is about the same. Achilles has more color but seems more sensitive. Never had issues with any Z tang but acan tangs like ich even when no one else in tank has it that’s my experience. I’m sure others may have the opposite experience.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back