350 Tang Tank

Kalinina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

I am upgrading from a glass 72x18x21 125 gallon to an acrylic 96x36x24 350 gallon. The tank is ordered and I have a 13 week wait until delivery.

I decided to make this build thread to get everyone’s opinion on if I am on the right track with the equipment I’ve bought so far. I’m realizing this isn’t as easy as I thought it was going to be!

i have the following ordered or in my possession:

Tank: 96x36x24 peninsula style

Overflow: Exotic Marine Systems 20”kit. Modular marine 24” 2400 gph overflow with 1.5 drains

Drilling returns: 3/4” 1”

Stand: framing tech aluminum stand 96x36x36 96x36x40

Sump: bashea smart series 4815 - 48x18x15

Filter Roller: Deltec VF 8000

Skimmer: Dalua Great White DC Plus Protein Skimmer GW-22 up to 580 gallons

UV: Lifegard 3” 90 watt Lifegard 3” 120 watt

Lights - 4 Reefbreeder v2+ 24”

Circulation: 2 tunze 6255 pumps and 1 4k jump gyre

What I’ve tried to do is pick out equipment I like and want to use and size it accordingly…Is there anything that stands out as not working together? Or too big/small? The goal for the tank is a fish home with softies. I’m more into fish than coral, but I would like the tank to look nice…that is the one stipulation for this tank from my boyfriend.

Last edited:

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and welcome! We love big tanks here.

Personally I think your overflow is undersized for that size tank and a heavy bioload of tangs. I'm running the same setup on a 180 and it is maxed out.

1.5" overflows and 1" returns are what I would go with at minimum.

You will also likely need more pumps going inside the tank than what you listed.

OP
OP
Kalinina

Kalinina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and welcome! We love big tanks here.

Personally I think your overflow is undersized for that size tank and a heavy bioload of tangs. I'm running the same setup on a 180 and it is maxed out.

1.5" overflows and 1" returns are what I would go with at minimum.

You will also likely need more pumps going inside the tank than what you listed.
Thank you for the welcome!

That is what I was thinking with the overflow! I had planned on getting the 32” from EMS with 1.5” drains but I was told it would be too long for the side since it’s peninsula style. I did reach out to EMS to inquire about a custom overflow and they said the 20” would be adequate as it’s hard to get a lot of flow through peninsula’s.

I’m not sure what to do - the EMS hasn’t shipped yet, so I could cancel the order. If I go with a different/larger GPH overflow, will the sump I have ordered be able to handle the flow? It’s 60 gallons. I chose that one because it will allow me to run the filter roller in the first compartment and has enough room for the skimmer in the second compartment. I would have gone bigger, but that is the largest they make in that series.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the welcome!

That is what I was thinking with the overflow! I had planned on getting the 32” from EMS with 1.5” drains but I was told it would be too long for the side since it’s peninsula style. I did reach out to EMS to inquire about a custom overflow and they said the 20” would be adequate as it’s hard to get a lot of flow through peninsula’s.

I’m not sure what to do - the EMS hasn’t shipped yet, so I could cancel the order. If I go with a different/larger GPH overflow, will the sump I have ordered be able to handle the flow? It’s 60 gallons. I chose that one because it will allow me to run the filter roller in the first compartment and has enough room for the skimmer in the second compartment. I would have gone bigger, but that is the largest they make in that series.
I don't have a Solution on what overflow would work better for this size. Never built a monster. Is 1" the only hole orientation available for the overflow you want?

You may be looking at a custom overflow.

@F i s h y

What do you think?

Last edited:

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hell yeah! nice to see this come together. I love peninsula tanks i have a RS 650P my self.

as said flow in peninsula are a challenge but you are more focused on the fish so it's a lot easier for you.
start with that and see if you need more I have 2X gyre 350 on mine and its just OK.

I am also running 2X reef breeders 24" great little lights. you might be able to get away with 3? idk if you got the funds might as well go with 4 if you do want more coral down the road. I am running the BRS ab+ setting for my LPS dom. tank alot more power on the lights than I need.

great stand choice. but how are you going to trim it out? I have always wanted a Tsot stand.

keep us posted

OP
OP
Kalinina

Kalinina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a Solution on what overflow would work better for this size. Never built a monster. Is 1" the only hole orientation available for the overflow you want?

You may be looking at a custom overflow.

@F i s h y

What do you think?
I ended up cancelling the EM order and getting the 24” weir 2400 gph modular marine overflow. It has 1.5” drain pipes so I will have the tank drilled with 1” returns. I really really wanted the EM overflow, but I feel better with the larger gph rating.

Thank you for pointing that out to me!

OP
OP
Kalinina

Kalinina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hell yeah! nice to see this come together. I love peninsula tanks i have a RS 650P my self.

as said flow in peninsula are a challenge but you are more focused on the fish so it's a lot easier for you.
start with that and see if you need more I have 2X gyre 350 on mine and its just OK.

I am also running 2X reef breeders 24" great little lights. you might be able to get away with 3? idk if you got the funds might as well go with 4 if you do want more coral down the road. I am running the BRS ab+ setting for my LPS dom. tank alot more power on the lights than I need.

great stand choice. but how are you going to trim it out? I have always wanted a Tsot stand.

keep us posted
I’ve viewed your build thread multiple times! I remember when you swapped your 750xxl for the peninsula tank. All of the peninsula build threads have swayed me towards that side lol!

I already got the lights, I just went with the spread recommended on BRS’ site. How do you have yours positioned over your tank? I’m planning on hanging them from the ceiling sideways since the 24’s have 36” of spread. It will hopefully be perfect. I did think about getting 2 48” Reefbreeders, but it was only $200 more to get the 4 24” lights (well, 300 more because I forgot brs has sales tax! Lol).

The stand paneling im not sure yet. I wanted to order the plastic paneling from framing tech (I’ve seen a couple builds on YouTube with it) but they aren’t offering it anymore. I would like to go with the plastic. It seems the easiest to mount and simple to clean!

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve viewed your build thread multiple times! I remember when you swapped your 750xxl for the peninsula tank. All of the peninsula build threads have swayed me towards that side lol!

I already got the lights, I just went with the spread recommended on BRS’ site. How do you have yours positioned over your tank? I’m planning on hanging them from the ceiling sideways since the 24’s have 36” of spread. It will hopefully be perfect. I did think about getting 2 48” Reefbreeders, but it was only $200 more to get the 4 24” lights (well, 300 more because I forgot brs has sales tax! Lol).

The stand paneling im not sure yet. I wanted to order the plastic paneling from framing tech (I’ve seen a couple builds on YouTube with it) but they aren’t offering it anymore. I would like to go with the plastic. It seems the easiest to mount and simple to clean!

oh nice glad you came along for the ride on my build thread. I need to update it, not a ton going on tho.

I have my 2x RB 24" mounted from the ceiling there about 2" from each other center tank. I think there really nice looking lights and are doing the job really well. I should/would like to get a par meter to get a par map but so for all the corals are doing great.

I agree the plastic poly or what ever it is would look great on that. I have seen these cool "snap" thingies ppl have used with it to attach what ever you want but for got what there called so no help there.

OP
OP
Kalinina

Kalinina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sump came in! It’s a Bashsea smart series 48x18x16. The filter roller and skimmer fit in their compartments and make the sump look smaller than it is! So far it looks like it’s great quality, and I’m happy with it. My goal is to just use the sump as the housing of filtration for the tank (like reef builders).

***There is a possibility I may need to size up the sump when I get the tank and test everything for back flow when the power is off. I did some research (last night!!) and now realize my sump is under the 25% volume of the display tank, and I totally disregarded that part when I picked it out, plus I don’t think I can accurately figure out how many gallons will flow back into the sump right now since the tank isn’t built yet. (I’m not sure how many inches above the overflow the water will be, or what return pump I’m using..). So basically I have no idea what I’m doing..just enough to be dangerous!

Attachments

• 7A2BF33C-BCA9-4ADF-8F32-58EB5A57EA7A.jpeg
    7A2BF33C-BCA9-4ADF-8F32-58EB5A57EA7A.jpeg
    186.1 KB · Views: 45
  • 82EEE50A-6912-4E97-9DE2-4B85E31F8352.jpeg
    82EEE50A-6912-4E97-9DE2-4B85E31F8352.jpeg
    190.7 KB · Views: 45
OP
OP
Kalinina

Kalinina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little update! The stand arrived and we put it together this weekend. This was my first time working with the t slot aluminum and it was super simple, even for a girl and a guy who are not handy at all! Just needed two people to finish it.

I’m still 2 months out on the tank being delivered.

I’m thinking of a mixed reef instead of just softies and doing the reef moonshiners method. I’ve been looking at dosing pumps. Not sure if I’ll get a controller.

Attachments

• A83BE366-5210-49C6-AD6C-1CB2B6CE14E7.jpeg
    A83BE366-5210-49C6-AD6C-1CB2B6CE14E7.jpeg
    224.2 KB · Views: 42
OP
OP
Kalinina

Kalinina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi JumboShrimp! Thank you for asking!! We are still anxiously awaiting the tank arrival as well! :)

I will post pics once it gets here, which should be next week if they are still running 13 weeks out, but I haven’t heard if it’s in production yet.

I do have a life update - which can be good news or not so good news - we decided to not move for at least 1 more year (the 360 peninsula won’t fit with our current house, the reason I ordered it is we decided to move to a larger house that could accommodate a larger peninsula tank), so that day I made plans to look at a used 260 acrylic aquarium with a wood stand. We picked it up the next day. It’s not perfect; there’s salt/water damage in the inside of the stand and the tank desperately needs polished (starting that tomorrow!), it has one tiny corner overflow… It’s 84x24x30. But I will make it work!!! I’m still keeping the 360, it will just stay in the garage, packed away until we finally move.

I’ll start a build thread for the 260 when I get further along. But I’ll post a sneak peak of it in all of its filthy glory lol. And a pic of the stand, my dog and I wanted to use all of the equipment for the 360 for the new tank, but the sump is too big for the stand. :(

Attachments

• D5AB2C0B-7354-49C8-9CE3-6398FB650D7C.jpeg
    D5AB2C0B-7354-49C8-9CE3-6398FB650D7C.jpeg
    209.2 KB · Views: 28
  • EFF48175-3303-4907-B5EC-84E500277AE6.jpeg
    EFF48175-3303-4907-B5EC-84E500277AE6.jpeg
    158.2 KB · Views: 18
  • FABA0A5B-DA8E-4939-B5CA-93F4BE93DC45.jpeg
    FABA0A5B-DA8E-4939-B5CA-93F4BE93DC45.jpeg
    189.9 KB · Views: 19
  • EA7A7CBE-7E3D-4AEB-9445-78752454710C.jpeg
    EA7A7CBE-7E3D-4AEB-9445-78752454710C.jpeg
    209.7 KB · Views: 24

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 120 58.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 30.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 74 36.1%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 34 16.6%
  • Other

Votes: 61 29.8%
Back