36-0-6 Miracle Gro

Would you use Miracle Gro if you weren’t concerned about Phosphate levels?

• Yes

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • No

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Debatable

• I’ll decide after others try it first

• Other

• Total voters

Lillmoya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only true complaint I’ve heard over using Miracle Gro (other than dosing debates) are the concerns about phosphates. It appears this fert is not well known in the hobby.

Miracle Gro Water Soluble Lawn Food
It’s specs are 36-0-6.
36 nitrogen - 0 phosphorous - 6 potash
Aka 0 phosphates!!!

D67C6E82-5FD3-464D-9CDF-EE1E4A77CA29.png

8C0EAF5F-FB01-4069-9A72-B67C820D1F96.png

You’re welcome.

OP
OP
Lillmoya

Lillmoya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d heard of it online for desirable macroalgae, but there were tons of complaints about phosphate levels. The problem is, most reefers who use Miracle Gro just use the all purpose stuff which is 24-8-16. Algae will deplete all the Nitrogen and some potassium and leave the phosphorous. Corals will do pretty much the same thing. The solution? Switching to a 0 phosphorous fert, because why dose it if it won’t be used?

MJ in Boise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think I'll pass on applying urea and ammonia to a reef tank. There are many other options out there that supply nitrate and have reasonable purity. I wouldn't even use miracle grow in my garden.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only true complaint I’ve heard over using Miracle Gro (other than dosing debates) are the concerns about phosphates. It appears this fert is not well known in the hobby.

That's the only concern???

Well, I'll help by adding some other concerns, and cannot see why one would pick this unless you are treating a massive salt pond. Food grade sodium nitrate is not expensive and carries a high assurance of purity.
Some concerns:

1. Do you need potassium? You will be adding it whether you need it or not.

2. It claims it is " High in nitrogen and iron to promote deep green grass. " How much iron? A huge amount. The label says it is about 1% of the nitrogen content, or about 0.2% of the nitrate added. So if you add 2 ppm nitrate equivalent per day, you are adding about 0.004 ppm (4 ppb) iron per day. That may be excessive, but might be OK. i dosed about 30 times less when I used iron.

3. It has no need to be pure from other metals like copper that may be fine for a lawn (the EPA allows a lot of copper in drinking water that folks also water lawns with) but which might be problematic in a reef aquarium.

4. The label says it contains 3% sulfur. In what form?

5. The nitrogen form is ammonia and urea (as noted above). You are not dosing nitrate. Is that good or bad? Not sure, but you sure do not want to dose significant amounts of ammonia all at once.

Last edited:

afishbestservedcold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grow an anubias hastifolia emmersed in a shallow glass vase with sand and lava rock, I just started dropping regular miracle gro in there and the anubias loves it!

but I wouldn't put any fertilizer anywhere near my reef tank...sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back