3d Printed Aquarium Parts Archive

Sir Kon Salty Sox

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ilikefish69, keep in mind that fdm doesn't create a water tight adhesion, to avoid filling the voids with water that will turn stagnant and possibly hypoxic, you'll want to consider printing at 90-100%.
90% infill now that is gonna cost me :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything I print that goes in the water is 90% or above. Petg is heavier than salt water so it's not as buoyant. When you factor in air trapped in the model, you're then required to figure out how to weigh it down. Drilling holes isn't a bad idea.

Then there's the biological side of what happens to the water that eventually secretes in while micro fauna can't? Hence the long term concerns.

I'd be curious what your slicer calculates the total filement used at 90% plus. I bet it's still cheaper than acrylic.

Something else to consider in your design, the walls look super thick, I bet you can get away with a 1.6-2mm wall in most places where water pressure is equal on both sides. You can probably slim that thing way down and cut back on material.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
90% infill now that is gonna cost me :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
if you're down from 20mm thick to 5, it will be mostly walls anyways. you could probably drop to 2mm and make it 100% or really hot and slow first and last layer may seal it. cnc kitchen talks about it in his video on printing clear parts.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The more I print the more I try to think about/find subtractive ways to manufacture things; additive is slow and in many cases is not necessary.
As we speak, I am working on cnc-carved light shades because I'm fed-up with finicky printer hot-end issues. maybe its because I got junk hot-ends.
I use this for so much stuff now its insane. Cuts with craft knives or router-bits; Glues with PVC cement or CA

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use this for so much stuff now its insane. Cuts with craft knives or router-bits; Glues with PVC cement or CA
I don't think I've ever seen that. I'll have to look for it next time I'm at Menards. I have an entirely unrelated (to aquariums) use for it, possibly.

additive is slow and in many cases is not necessary.
While still, I assume, slower than a CNC mill, I just replaced my Ender with a Bambu X1C. That thing goes so ungodly fast, how it makes such good prints, I don't know.
The thing goes fast enough that a lot of people showing it off will put a note in the video explaining that it's not sped up or a time lapse, it just goes this fast.
It's like getting an InstantPot when you've used a Crock Pot all your life.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I don't think I've ever seen that. I'll have to look for it next time I'm at Menards. I have an entirely unrelated (to aquariums) use for it, possibly.

While still, I assume, slower than a CNC mill, I just replaced my Ender with a Bambu X1C. That thing goes so ungodly fast, how it makes such good prints, I don't know.
The thing goes fast enough that a lot of people showing it off will put a note in the video explaining that it's not sped up or a time lapse, it just goes this fast.
It's like getting an InstantPot when you've used a Crock Pot all your life.

I've made overflows with it; filter floss rollers, all sorts of stuff; cutting both by hand and on a cnc.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Anyone have a good way to mount some light bars to 2 xr30s? I was thinking possibly a 3d printed bracket? Any ideas?
Checkout the market - there are a few folks on here that make great light mounts in the 3D printed section.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have a good way to mount some light bars to 2 xr30s? I was thinking possibly a 3d printed bracket? Any ideas?
I personally don't know if I'd trust a 3d print to hold up an xr30.

Although, I wouldn't pay the price of the ones offered by etm.

I cut these out of 6mm thick acrylic with my laser

20211115_160356.jpg

20211115_172741.jpg

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use some 3/4 aluminum angle iron or simmilar material instead, plastic works good for some applications but has a tendency to sag under weight over time. A light mount is something best made from a more rigid material imo

Sir Kon Salty Sox

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you have a facebook? I helped a gentleman hang a new AI Blade light bar to a HMS rail. I still don't know exactly how he did it, but I printed these things for him and he made it work. I can connect the two of you , let me know :)

1693497707262.png
1693497828959.png

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A quick 1/4" Tube holder I put together. This allows you to run your tubing along the wall, and prevent them from hanging all over the place. Enjoy =).

IMG_3247.jpeg
IMG_3245.jpeg

Last edited:

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
@k2- ask your question here maybe. There's a lot of knowledge and a lot of items here.

k2-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys - Anyone has mesh for ECm 63 - Panta Rhei - to avoid small fish from sucking into the hydra flow ?

Additionally I need help with a few custom printed parts - 1) Overflow cap 2) Cap for refugium with hold to accommodate AI Fuge.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hey Guys - Anyone has mesh for ECm 63 - Panta Rhei - to avoid small fish from sucking into the hydra flow ?

Additionally I need help with a few custom printed parts - 1) Overflow cap 2) Cap for refugium with hold to accommodate AI Fuge.
Hi, I may have something that you could use for the overflow cap:
If that's not what you're looking for pm me and we can chat.

BrettE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I asked if I could help organize this sticky, and @revhtree made me the owner. I mainly wanted to update the first post in the thread to include all the things people have posted, so it's all in once place. I was also going to take a stab at organizing it a bit more. I think it would be nice if all the models for a particular purpose or piece of gear were together. Wish me luck!

Brett

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 26 14.7%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 40 22.6%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 103 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back