3d Printed Aquarium Parts Archive

InvaderJim

Chillin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone made a replacement mounting bracket for the Versa? I bought one used off the classifieds section but it didn't come with the bracket and I've searched the internet high and low with no luck.

BrettE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone made a replacement mounting bracket for the Versa? I bought one used off the classifieds section but it didn't come with the bracket and I've searched the internet high and low with no luck.

What's it look like? I could probably whip one up, but I don't have one in front of me.

It's like a wedge triangle thingy eh? If someone loaned me one, or made measurements we could probably make one pretty easily.

Last edited:

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if you've seen these. They're an alternative to the cleat

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anybody here using a resin printer for their tank? is the resin, once cured, reef safe?
The concern is ensuring a good cleaning to remove any uncures resin. This can be easy on certain prints, but hard when a print has many crevices.

The biggest downside to resin prints are that they continue to cure and become brittle. Especially if your reef light has UV. That's not really a good combination.

If you mix in tenacious in with your resin you can soften then up, but it's unclear if the print will be reef safe. Perhaps once it's fully cured, it perfectly fine. You'd have to experiment yourself.

stoney7713

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
anybody here using a resin printer for their tank? is the resin, once cured, reef safe?
I would not chance it, some of the chemicals used in it are not safe. Even after a good cleaning and curing. I also don't think they would last long with the UV exposure.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The concern is ensuring a good cleaning to remove any uncures resin. This can be easy on certain prints, but hard when a print has many crevices.

The biggest downside to resin prints are that they continue to cure and become brittle. Especially if your reef light has UV. That's not really a good combination.

If you mix in tenacious in with your resin you can soften then up, but it's unclear if the print will be reef safe. Perhaps once it's fully cured, it perfectly fine. You'd have to experiment yourself.

I would not chance it, some of the chemicals used in it are not safe. Even after a good cleaning and curing. I also don't think they would last long with the UV exposure.

Thanks. was looking into a resin printer, but will probably pass.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. was looking into a resin printer, but will probably pass.
I don't know anyone that uses resin prints for reef tanks.

It doesn't seem to fit the need. You get better precision with an fdm printer and it's much faster. The only big benefit to resin printers are the detail and resolution, which isn't really necessary for what we need in our reef tanks.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know anyone that uses resin prints for reef tanks.

It doesn't seem to fit the need. You get better precision with an fdm printer and it's much faster. The only big benefit to resin printers are the detail and resolution, which isn't really necessary for what we need in our reef tanks.
was thinking it for urchin hats, so not something I need a lot of structure for. but adding cleaning, curing, and storing the resin, it's impractical at this point. I'll just stick with my rainbow colored pla. also, if it's even slower than my fdm then its definitely a looser.

BrettE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I asked if I could help organize this sticky, and @revhtree made me the owner. I mainly wanted to update the first post in the thread to include all the things people have posted, so it's all in once place. I was also going to take a stab at organizing it a bit more. I think it would be nice if all the models for a particular purpose or piece of gear were together. Wish me luck!

Brett

Apparently I didn't get to this this weekend, like I'd hoped. I did get the first fish in our tank though, so at least I've got that going for me.

And I'm working on an apex probe holder. Printing v3 right now. Not very exciting, but I think it'll get the job done.

probe holder v3.png

Brett

BrettE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a 3D printer and am curious if thingiverse or printables seems to be more popular for aquarium items?

I'd look at both. Thingiverse was the place for sharing models until Printables recently became the new hotness. Thingiverse's search is terrible. It's telling when other sites exist just for searching your site (see stlfinder, et al)

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was getting some hair algae growth on the back of the tank where I couldn't use a magnetic scraper. I decided to make an Algae FlowBee. The idea is to siphon out the algae as it gets scraped off.

This is the first prototype, and it worked better than I expected. It was really just a shot in the dark to see if the flow rate would be fast enough to capture the algae as it comes off, but that part works pretty well.

I may make some modifications so that it can use replaceable scraper blades, but one way or another I'll stick it on thingiverse.

PXL_20230929_114918155.jpg

PXL_20230929_114321458.jpg

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never printed an M5. The smallest I've gone was 1/4‐20 (6.3mm). Definitely doable, in my mind.

If you choose to go the purchase route, you'll need to account for salt water environment and choose a material that won't rust. I'm sure if you look, you'll find nylon M5s.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Ok this will be basically the first time I've ever used my 3d printer so I guess we will see if it works for me.
I use my kids recycled Kiwico crate nylon screws for that (so buy).
3D printing such small threads presents more problems then I would recommend for someone new to 3D printing.
That being said, usually the reverse of the thread will work because more rigid screw will deform the plastic to a usable state.

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use my kids recycled Kiwico crate nylon screws for that (so buy).
3D printing such small threads presents more problems then I would recommend for someone new to 3D printing.
That being said, usually the reverse of the thread will work because more rigid screw will deform the plastic to a usable state.
Brilliant, thanks for the idea! I'll see if I can find some there.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 46.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 34 32.1%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 15.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back