3D Printed Coral Bandsaw

3D Reefin'

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R members,

I was looking into purchasing a bandsaw for cutting up some frags. During my search, I noticed that several people where not satisfied with some design aspects of the current saws on the market. So I made a list of the design upgrades that I would like mine to have, and decided that I will attempt to print one. I'm in the early stages of the CAD drawing, but will update the thread as I make more progress. I'm on not sure if I want to run this type of frame for the saw yet.

Please feel free to make design suggestions on what you would like to see on a saw.

Coral Bandsaw 1.JPG
Coral Bandsaw.JPG

Last edited:

clm65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to your end product. Not that I need to cut frags (I've never cut a frag yet), but I love seeing people turn their creative ideas into reality.

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, need a way to cool the blade and get fresh saltwater on it during the cut (the reservoir can be separate, gravity fed with airline or RO tubing). I think current models just drip feed a couple tiny sponges on either side of the blade. Also, easy to clean, way to drain/rinse off the water/debris quickly without having to disassemble

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water is necessary. You don't keep the blade wet for long and flush with fresh when you're done. You'd want to flush between species anyways. All of @45ZoaGarden 's points are valid.

OP
OP

3D Reefin'

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input, I am going to ad a gravity fed dripper.

@biecacka I believe the blades are stainless steel. Hopefully along the lines of 316, that is a bit more corrosion resistant that the average 304 we encounter on a daily basis. After each use I'll rinse off the saltwater from the saw and the bandsaw

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.JPG
2.JPG

Here are some update pics. Found some stainless bearings that may work in a saltwater application. Still under progress. Will be printing soon.

Nice work. Is there a little ramp to carry away water/debris under the slit? Looking forward to seeing the prints!

OP
OP

3D Reefin'

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice work. Is there a little ramp to carry away water/debris under the slit? Looking forward to seeing the prints!

I still have a lot of modeling to do. Guides, scrapers, water tray, etc are all on the list.

I also think I am going to change the spokes on the wheel. Not that big of a fan of the design.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You going with a belt or direct drive motor? They make little brushes for band saw blades, one on each side.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool! What are the approximate dimensions? What will you be using for the motor?

Back