3D printed modular frag plugs

Micron-Flash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been designing some modular frag plugs that have removable attachment points. These can be printed in PLA or ABS which I've read are safe for salt water. I haven't seen very many designs out there for 3D printed plugs. Is there a reason people aren't using 3D printed plugs?

20200601_111420.jpg 20200601_111406.jpg

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know the reason others do/don't like 3D printed plugs, but here are the reasons I don't like them.

1) Those that I've seen are more expensive than traditional frag plugs
2) Corals don't seem to like the plastic and don't seem to adhere/grow as fast compared with cured plugs
3) On some of the ABS plugs I've played around with, when I went to cut the frag plug (cutting the top in half, not the top from the base), the piece shattered in one case and in another case (I believe a different 3D printer plastic), the plastic melted and injured the zoa.

I don't know much about the properites of ABS or PLA, so I'm sure there are materials out there are easy to cut and are comparable in cost, but I haven't seen a material that grows as well as a traditional plug. That being said, I'm sure there are reefers that have a different set of needs where 3D printed plugs are much easier to work with or have benefits traditional plugs can't provide. I'm probably just not the target audience :)

By the way, I love your screw design- really creative and the plugs look fantastic!

Back