4 clownfish in one tank ?

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could 3 work ?
Again very low chance of survival for the small one in that situation, general rule for clownfish is 2 per tank almost regardless of tank size. Some people have gotten away with 4 but i have only seen that in larger tanks and only a couple of people have had success with that. Harem tanks i think worked because the aggression was shared among all of the small clownfish but people have experienced clownfish losses in those tanks too.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do a pair... they work in multiples when small and sometimes in pairs if you can get them each to host a nem on the opposite side of the tank.

My pair would kill others because they have eggs :) I don't think it would make any difference if raised together. Spawning clowns can be nasty as hell.

3 just means there is an odd man out.

OP
OP
Hud

Hud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again very low chance of survival for the small one in that situation, general rule for clownfish is 2 per tank almost regardless of size. Some people have gotten away with 4 but i have only seen that in larger tanks and only a couple of people have had success with that. Harem tanks i think worked because the aggression was shared among all of the small clownfish but people have experienced clownfish losses in those tanks too.
Yeah I agree. I have seen 4 clownfish in a 33 gallon. Btw all of the clownfish would be around 1.5 inch

OP
OP
Hud

Hud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do a pair... they work in multiples when small and sometimes in pairs if you can get them each to host a nem on the opposite side of the tank.

My pair would kill others because they have eggs :) I don't think it would make any difference if raised together. Spawning clowns can be nasty as hell.

3 just means there is an odd man out.
Ok I guess I need to go with 2 or 4. Thank you

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this for 3 clownfish or 4 clownfish or both
Both i had 4 wyoming whites that got along for close to a year before 2 jumped/one bit the dust From the same clutch. My lfs has likely 20 clownfish in the same tank from time to time. they even mix in some maroon witch is a nono in my book but there's plenty of nems and fish to spread the aggressin. If I were you I'd look into clownfish harem tanks. There's bound to be aggression just like the majority of fish in this hobbie and the possibility of death. Some take the road less traveled. Id like to add that there will rarely ever be two pairs in the same tank. It would have to be very large with there own territories. Its best to start with small and extremely similar fish. Theres bound to be only one female. I dont think clownfish gor from female to male as easily as male to female and they'd probably rather die fighting. You can start with one slightly larger fish or all similar size youth and let nature decide.

Fatmike92

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am testing this out now in my 90g corner. only had them a couple days.

I have (2) black Occs and (2) orange snowflakes

so far no issues and hoping they pair off and set up in different areas of the tank

OP
OP
Hud

Hud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both i had 4 wyoming whites that got along for close to a year before 2 jumped/one bit the dust From the same clutch. My lfs has likely 20 clownfish in the same tank from time to time. they even mix in some maroon witch is a nono in my book but there's plenty of nems and fish to spread the aggressin. If I were you I'd look into clownfish harem tanks. There's bound to be aggression just like the majority of fish in this hobbie and the possibility of death. Some take the road less traveled. Id like to add that there will rarely ever be two pairs in the same tank. It would have to be very large with there own territories. Its best to start with small and extremely similar fish. Theres bound to be only one female. I dont think clownfish gor from female to male as easily as male to female and they'd probably rather die fighting. You can start with one slightly larger fish or all similar size youth and let nature decide.
Thank you I think I’ll just try to get small ones.but if I can a big one I will

OP
OP
Hud

Hud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am testing this out now in my 90g corner. only had them a couple days.

I have (2) black Occs and (2) orange snowflakes

so far no issues and hoping they pair off and set up in different areas of the tank
Nice clowns, I hope it works out

Fatmike92

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice clowns, I hope it works out
284A4123-732C-404D-9745-E0BA799D252A.jpeg

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back