4 Foot Upgrade from Nano

Hasted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! I currently have a 29g up and running. However, this thread is not going to be about that tank.

I am upgrading!

I am in the market for a 4 foot tank and all the equipment that goes along with it. I prefer the wider tanks rather than taller skinnier ones. That is one of the few limiting factors.

Goal: Mixed reef, heavy on the LPS side. Also, fish.

I “currently” like the look of LPS a lot more than most SPS. With that being said, I do have a tester SPS (Rainbow Montipora) that I really, really like in my Nano.

I also will be rehoming my Black Photon Clownfish pair and Midas Blenny (sad day). They will need some peaceful friends since I absolutely do not want them eaten!

Here is the equipment that I need to purchase with options in each category. I will be removing / adding / deciding on what path to take in the coming weeks, hopefully.

Please feel free to comment on any of these options. Good, bad, etc.

Tank options:

Red Sea Reefer 350

• 73g Display with 18g Sump. 91g total. ~$1,800
  • 47 x 21h x 20w
  • Stand, sump, ATO (replacing), plumbing

Red Sea Reefer 425

• 88g Display with 24g Sump. 112g total. ~$2,300
  • 47 x 22h x 22.6w
  • Stand, sump, ATO (replacing), plumbing

Waterbox 130.4

• 96g Display with 30g sump. 126 total. ~$2,700
  • 48 x 22h x 24w
  • Stand, sump, plumbing.
Even though it is a beautiful system, I don't think the price tag is worth it. I say that now, but watch me spend more than this on what ever I do buy...

NUVO-EXT 100 or INT 100

• 100g Display only. ~$1,300
  • 47 x 20h x 24w
  • No stand, no sump, some plumbing?
  • I can customize more, but that's somewhat scary.
  • Has stand option for ~2,000

These are my current top picks in order. The two Red Sea models are very close. Not sure if I gain anything getting the wider one other than a few gallons. The tank will be positioned to where the one side will be visible from one of the couches (in line with it), so the larger side COULD be appealing for that. I am open to looking at other tanks, but these seem to be the best looking with mostly full packages.

Flow:

All these tanks have only slightly different dimensions, but all pretty much 48". Should take the same flow requirements. Some things I have been looking at are:

MP40s, up to two

• Seems to be the top dog. I would love to go ahead and get one now for my Nano, but too strong. An MP10 doesn't seem to be compatible with the Glass Thickness on the bigger tanks either.

Red Sea Reefwave 45

• Other than yet another phone app, these seem nice.

Icecap 2k or 4k

• Just keeping options open.

AI Nero 5

• I assume this would be controllable in the AI app I already use for the lights, which would be nice. I have heard a few bad reviews due to the open back and small fish... would require a back guard.

(I would like as little as possible on the left side of the tank for the best possible view from that couch. That would be taken into consideration when placing powerheads. Also, not against mixing/matching these or other options)

Lighting:

Everyone has their preferences. I thought about diving into Kessil, but I felt like I was going to be spending a lot more money just for that Kessil shimmer. I have experience with AI and like the program. So, I am leaning that way. I have a couple possible set ups:

3 AI Prime 16 HDs

• I have seen a couple successful tanks with this set up. SPS (if I dive deeper into that) would have to be put in a very strategic spot, probably.

4 AI Prime 16 HD

• I feel like this is the point where I don't have to save only the best of the best spots for any SPS I may put in. Only issue? 4 freaking lights mounted has to look silly and cluttered (I should find some pics before I blast that, actually).

2 AI Prime 16 HD + Hydra 32

• Since I already have two 16s, I want to use them rather than, say, two 32s only. Keeping this as an option. Hot spot in the center could feed the light hungry corals. May not look as clean having two 16s and a brick in the center. Also, unsure how the app controls two different lights.

Say F it and dump money into Kessil

• Shimmer. Probably NOT worth it. Haha

Skimmer:

Red Sea RSK 300

• Imma be straight. I don't know jack about skimmers. I heard this is good. Cool. Is the 300 large enough? Says rated for HEAVY bioload at 75g. I am in the 75-100g range (Display) so I assume?

Return Pump: (790 gph recommended for the 350. 1060gph recommended for 425)

SYNCRA SILENT 4.0 or 5.0 PUMP (951 GPH and 1321 GPH)

VECTRA S2 DC RETURN PUMP (1400 GPH)

Coming from the BRS website for the Red Sea products: We suggest either the Sicce Syncra Silent line of pumps or the Ecotech Vectra pumps.
Now, with that being said.. I have looked at multiple build threads of the 350 and have seen pumps from 1k all the way to 2k. Will need to do more research on pumps. I want a set up that isn’t loud due to bad equipment. It seems as both these options are high quality, but I am sure there are more that fulfil that.

ATO:

Tunze OSMOLATOR UNIVERSAL 3155 AUTO TOP OFF

• Even if I go with the Red Sea, the ATO will be replaced.

Sump:

IF I do not go the Red Sea route, I will also need to research and find a sump that I will want. Considering my Nano does not have a sump, this is also an area that I don’t have first hand experience with. I have watched countless videos and looked at many build threads. With that, at least I have an idea. Going to hold out a little bit until I at least decide which tank. There is a high chance I won’t have to worry about this at all.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hasted

Hasted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I currently own that can be used in some way with this upgrade:

Water:

• 5 Stage RODI, 75gpd from BRS
  • Red Sea CORAL PRO SALT MIX

Test kits:

• API Reef Master Test Kit (will upgrade)
  • Hanna Salinity / Temp
  • Hanna ULR Phosphate
  • Hanna Calcium
  • Hanna Alkalinity

Lighting:

• TWO (2) AI Prime 16HD Reef Aquarium LED, Black
  • TWO (2) 12" Gooseneck for mounting

Flow:

• Three (3) Hydor Koralia Nano Circulation Pump/Powerhead 425gph
  • Hydor Smart Wave Circulation Pump Controller
(These probably won’t make it into the final build. I can see using them while it cycles until I get the upgraded wavemakers / powerheads. One is for my water mixing station currently The rest of them will probably end up there, also.)

Food / Nutrition

• REEF-ROIDS
  • REEF FOUNDATION PACKAGE (CA/ALK/MAG)
  • ALGAE WAFERS
  • LRS Reef Frenzy
  • Pellets (placeholder, forget the name!)

Other:

• Inkbird ITC-308 Digital Temperature Controller
  • Flipper MAGNETIC CLEANER
  • Python Pro-Clean Gravel Washer Siphon Kit (will need upgrade, nano size)
  • Finnex HMA-S HEATER W/ ANALOG CONTROLLER - 150w
  • IM Gourmet Food Defroster
  • AMMONIUM CHLORIDE (From last cycle to test)

OP
OP
Hasted

Hasted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Master Purchase List (in order)

Stage 1 - Pre to Start Cycle

• Tank
  • Stand / Sump if applicable
  • Return Pump
  • Rock
  • Sand (ARAGONITE FIJI PINK DRY SAND was used in Nano)
  • Starter Bacteria (used BioSpira last time, was amazing)

Stage 2 - During to post Cycle

• Skimmer
  • Permanent Flow option, remove Koralia pumps
  • New Python that fits size of this tank
  • (Introduce fish from Nano)

Stage 3 - First non essential upgrades

• Upgrade Lights (Add Prime 16 or Hydra 32 Probably)
  • Better Test Kit
  • Upgrade ATO to Tunze

Stage 4 - Throw money at it!

• No idea, haven’t thought that far.

OP
OP
Hasted

Hasted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you haven't realized, this is gonna be a slow build. No need to buckle up. :D

Innovative Marine has a sale on their products and their 100g tanks + stand is sitting at $1,700. Unfortunately, I am not quite ready to pull the trigger on any specific tank. There will be another sale. I am in zero rush.

I have snipped off a few options here and there, which is nice. I have also become more comfortable with the idea of more customization (sump mainly) and the Innovative Marine tank has caught my eye more. Again, bummer about the sale being NOW rather than a month or so later.

With that said, I am now adding sump set ups to my list of research.

The biggest change so far is WHERE the tank will be going. The original idea was against the side wall adjacent to the current tank. My wife recently stated she likes how the current tank is the "centerpiece" of the room and would like it to stay that way. That does make things harder. My original idea was to keep the current tank running and set up and cycle the new one. Now, it may be that I have to tear down the current tank before set up. That place does come with a few obstacles (windows), so definitely not set in stone.

Thanks for looking. I know there isn't much going on in this build yet, but I needed a place to put down my thoughts and log things.

billwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being the owner of a 90G long (48 x 24 x 18w), I wish every day that I had a 24" wide tank. My encrusing monti has to be broken off all the time so I can continue to clean my glass because it's too close. Width, front to back, is the most visually different characteristic you'll notice on a tank, so I highly going with the widest you can both afford and make room for.

OP
OP
Hasted

Hasted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being the owner of a 90G long (48 x 24 x 18w), I wish every day that I had a 24" wide tank. My encrusing monti has to be broken off all the time so I can continue to clean my glass because it's too close. Width, front to back, is the most visually different characteristic you'll notice on a tank, so I highly going with the widest you can both afford and make room for.

I definitely want to go wide. The RS 350 (20) has dropped to my last pick. The RS 425 (22.5) and the IM 100g (24) are My top two picks.

Thanks for the insight! I always appreciate other peoples thoughts!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back