4 tangs in a 150 gallon??

BRS

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
4 ft 150 or 6 ft? Makes a difference. Stuffed with rock or an open aquascape? Also makes a difference. Hippo will eventually outgrow a 4 ft tank and you'll be back here asking why its behaving strangely. I would not personally put an Achilles in anything less than a 6 ft tank - it's a swimmer. I would also not personally put an Achilles and a Powder Blue together in the same system. They are both on the more aggressive end of the tang spectrum. There's always that guy who says he's doing it, but you are asking for trouble. FWIW, at 3.5 inches, neither are juveniles anymore. Are they getting along in QT?

40g Nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
4 ft 150 or 6 ft? Makes a difference. Stuffed with rock or an open aquascape? Also makes a difference. Hippo will eventually outgrow a 4 ft tank and you'll be back here asking why its behaving strangely. I would not personally put an Achilles in anything less than a 6 ft tank - it's a swimmer. I would also not personally put an Achilles and a Powder Blue together in the same system. They are both on the more aggressive end of the tang spectrum. There's always that guy who says he's doing it, but you are asking for trouble.
Thank you

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
6ft 150 is pushing it but do-able for a little while
Expect some squabbling from time to time and arguments over food and territory . Ideal would be a 210 or 300g

Corals.com

WRB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
5 here, Yellow,Blue Hippo, Salfin, Naso and Powder-Brown in a 5' 120 g.
Been togeter now for more than 5 years minimum. I give them a lot of hiding places and keep them well fed. No issues besides the Salfin is getting big after 7 year? Their gang include a Koran and Foxface too.

OP
D

Dr. Suess210

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
What are the dimensions of the tank?
The Achilles tang has special care requirements and I don’t think a 150 gallon tank is large enough for it.
It’s a 5 x 2 x 2

I didn’t see anything that concerned me with care retirements? But I’ll do some more research. Thank you

OP
D

Dr. Suess210

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
4 ft 150 or 6 ft? Makes a difference. Stuffed with rock or an open aquascape? Also makes a difference. Hippo will eventually outgrow a 4 ft tank and you'll be back here asking why its behaving strangely. I would not personally put an Achilles in anything less than a 6 ft tank - it's a swimmer. I would also not personally put an Achilles and a Powder Blue together in the same system. They are both on the more aggressive end of the tang spectrum. There's always that guy who says he's doing it, but you are asking for trouble. FWIW, at 3.5 inches, neither are juveniles anymore. Are they getting along in QT?
Very informative, thank you

it’sa 5 foot tank with lots of rock work. Neither seems too upset in QT at the moment, although the Achilles does posture a lot more often than the others

40g Nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0

it’sa 5 foot tank with lots of rock work. Neither seems too upset in QT at the moment, although the Achilles does posture a lot more often than the others
I would try to find a new home for the achilles

look at their natural habitat

they need very strong flow

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
So I have 4 juvenile tangs. 3 in QT, 1 in my DT.

My display tank has a 2.5” inch Blue tang that has been there for a year.
My QT has a 2.5” yellow tang, 3.5” Achilles, and 3.5” Powder Blue.

I have good filtration and so plenty of water changes, so I’m curious what everyone thinks about eventually adding those three tangs to my DT
I’d recommend against. While it could work for a short while that mix may go awry.

RAP

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0

Agree I shouldn’t have assumed this was a 6 foot tank.

Click to watch best scape method in 5 easy steps!

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Yellow,Blue Hippo, Salfin, Naso and Powder-Brown
The Salfin should count as two.
Naso... dude thats just wrong. If you can afford all those tangs you should be able to afford a properly sized home for them.

Their internal organs grow faster than their outside body, hence why they stay smaller in a smaller tank. Do you though.

40g Nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Naso... dude thats just wrong. If you can afford all those tangs you should be able to afford a properly sized home for them.

Their internal organs grow faster than their outside body, hence why they stay smaller in a smaller tank. Do you though.
Agreed

have you ever seen a full grown Naso?
They get HUGE

18” full grown

BRS

Do you house a "Reef Safe" Angelfish in your reef tank?

• YES and it's going good

Votes: 147 42.0%
  • YES but it's not working out

Votes: 9 2.6%
  • NO I have tried it in the past and it didn't work out

Votes: 32 9.1%
  • NO I haven't tried yet

Votes: 152 43.4%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 10 2.9%
CS