4 tangs in a 150 gallon??

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 ft 150 or 6 ft? Makes a difference. Stuffed with rock or an open aquascape? Also makes a difference. Hippo will eventually outgrow a 4 ft tank and you'll be back here asking why its behaving strangely. I would not personally put an Achilles in anything less than a 6 ft tank - it's a swimmer. I would also not personally put an Achilles and a Powder Blue together in the same system. They are both on the more aggressive end of the tang spectrum. There's always that guy who says he's doing it, but you are asking for trouble. FWIW, at 3.5 inches, neither are juveniles anymore. Are they getting along in QT?

40g Nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 ft 150 or 6 ft? Makes a difference. Stuffed with rock or an open aquascape? Also makes a difference. Hippo will eventually outgrow a 4 ft tank and you'll be back here asking why its behaving strangely. I would not personally put an Achilles in anything less than a 6 ft tank - it's a swimmer. I would also not personally put an Achilles and a Powder Blue together in the same system. They are both on the more aggressive end of the tang spectrum. There's always that guy who says he's doing it, but you are asking for trouble.
Thank you

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
6ft 150 is pushing it but do-able for a little while
Expect some squabbling from time to time and arguments over food and territory . Ideal would be a 210 or 300g

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not mix the Achilles and Powder. Depending on dimensions, those 2 and the 'blue' may not work long term.

WRB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 here, Yellow,Blue Hippo, Salfin, Naso and Powder-Brown in a 5' 120 g.
Been togeter now for more than 5 years minimum. I give them a lot of hiding places and keep them well fed. No issues besides the Salfin is getting big after 7 year? Their gang include a Koran and Foxface too.

OP
OP
D

Dr. Suess210

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the dimensions of the tank?
The Achilles tang has special care requirements and I don’t think a 150 gallon tank is large enough for it.
It’s a 5 x 2 x 2

I didn’t see anything that concerned me with care retirements? But I’ll do some more research. Thank you

OP
OP
D

Dr. Suess210

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 ft 150 or 6 ft? Makes a difference. Stuffed with rock or an open aquascape? Also makes a difference. Hippo will eventually outgrow a 4 ft tank and you'll be back here asking why its behaving strangely. I would not personally put an Achilles in anything less than a 6 ft tank - it's a swimmer. I would also not personally put an Achilles and a Powder Blue together in the same system. They are both on the more aggressive end of the tang spectrum. There's always that guy who says he's doing it, but you are asking for trouble. FWIW, at 3.5 inches, neither are juveniles anymore. Are they getting along in QT?
Very informative, thank you

it’sa 5 foot tank with lots of rock work. Neither seems too upset in QT at the moment, although the Achilles does posture a lot more often than the others

40g Nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

it’sa 5 foot tank with lots of rock work. Neither seems too upset in QT at the moment, although the Achilles does posture a lot more often than the others
I would try to find a new home for the achilles

look at their natural habitat

they need very strong flow

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have 4 juvenile tangs. 3 in QT, 1 in my DT.

My display tank has a 2.5” inch Blue tang that has been there for a year.
My QT has a 2.5” yellow tang, 3.5” Achilles, and 3.5” Powder Blue.

I have good filtration and so plenty of water changes, so I’m curious what everyone thinks about eventually adding those three tangs to my DT
I’d recommend against. While it could work for a short while that mix may go awry.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Agree I shouldn’t have assumed this was a 6 foot tank.

WRB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120 dt that is a 5 footer and my 5 Tangs are all very Happy!
Have been for many many years.

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow,Blue Hippo, Salfin, Naso and Powder-Brown
The Salfin should count as two.
Naso... dude thats just wrong. If you can afford all those tangs you should be able to afford a properly sized home for them.

Their internal organs grow faster than their outside body, hence why they stay smaller in a smaller tank. Do you though.

40g Nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Naso... dude thats just wrong. If you can afford all those tangs you should be able to afford a properly sized home for them.

Their internal organs grow faster than their outside body, hence why they stay smaller in a smaller tank. Do you though.
Agreed

have you ever seen a full grown Naso?
They get HUGE

18” full grown

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion it will be fine. I have 14 fish in a 90g 3 of them tangs, a yellow, purple and hippo with no issues in the 4 to 5 years I've had them.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not fine at all...way too small of a tank and with highly territorial tangs.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back