40 Gal Tank Build

jgabbsxx

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 19, 2023
Messages
133
Reaction score
90
Location
Illinois
What state or country do you live in
Illinois
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone!

I recently got into saltwater tanks as of this year! I currently have a 40G reef tank & wanted to show off the current progress i have made!
Fish in the tank are : Niger Trigger, 2 Black Ocellaris Clowns, Purple Tang, Yellow Coris Wrasse, & a Melanurus Wrasse.
Corals in the tank are : Rose BTA, Green Torch, Aussie Purple Torch, Frogspawn, Green Hammer, & a few Zoas! I currently have a torch & frammer otw from California tomorrow that I will update this thread with!

Any tips, comments, concerns, or just appreciation are all welcome. I am new to this hobby as I said but I am fully invested!

IMG_6104.jpeg
 
Looks good.
I too run a 40 gallon with HOB equipment.
I'm at almost 2 years (1.5 years since starting soft corals) and you have at least as much, if not more, variety than I do ... been taking it slow.
 
Very nice
 
Hi Everyone!

I recently got into saltwater tanks as of this year! I currently have a 40G reef tank & wanted to show off the current progress i have made!
Fish in the tank are : Niger Trigger, 2 Black Ocellaris Clowns, Purple Tang, Yellow Coris Wrasse, & a Melanurus Wrasse.
Corals in the tank are : Rose BTA, Green Torch, Aussie Purple Torch, Frogspawn, Green Hammer, & a few Zoas! I currently have a torch & frammer otw from California tomorrow that I will update this thread with!

Any tips, comments, concerns, or just appreciation are all welcome. I am new to this hobby as I said but I am fully invested!

IMG_6104.jpeg
Great looking tank!
 
Little tank update HUGE HUGE HUGEEEE shoutout to @uniquecorals for the absolutely BEAUTIFUL Rainbow Frammer & Rasta Torch that i just got today.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6239.mov
    77.3 MB
Geez haven't updated this in a while.

Went through a horrid algae bloom that is now irradicated. Lost a few of my corals along the way including a hammer, frogspawn, and 2 torches :( I upgraded my tank lighting to 2 AI Prime 16hd and have seen a great growth in some of my corals that were still in the tank.

Fish stock list as of today:
Niger Trigger
Purple Tang (swear to god this fish is missing brain cells)
Clown Tang (best friend to my half dumb purple tang)
Yellow Coris Wrasse
Melanurus Wrasse

Future Tank Plans :
Still trying to decide the tank size that I am upgrading to here soon because plumbing/location is going to be an issue no matter how big I go from this 40G.

I'll post some tank update pictures tonight when I get home!
 
Build Thread Update:

Fish Stock List:
Niger Trigger
Purple Tang
Yellow Coris Wrasse
Melanurus Wrasse
(Took the clowns to the fish store because I was tired of them biting my fish)

I had an outbreak of those darned Vermetid Snails recently, so I took my rocks out and manually removed the snails - shell by shell:rolleyes:.

Updated tank photos to come tonight :)
 
Build Thread Update:

Fish Stock List as Of 6/24/2025:

Purple Tang
Yellow Coris Wrasse
Melanurus Wrasse
Diamond Goby

Trust me...the bigger tank is in the works right now. Trying to source some things still before I get moving on this. Looks like I'll be getting a 125g.
 

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 60.0%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new