40 Gallon breeder AIO build- Input wanted

PSCoral

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 16, 2024
Messages
35
Reaction score
9
Location
North America
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this as a rough design for what I want to do to a 40 gallon breeder to make it an aio frag tank/grow out tank/ secondary reef tank. Not sure which direction I’m going to go with it at the moment but I wanted any others insight on if this design seems like a good one and might work and if any of you have any input on how to potentially improve this.
Side note, forgive the rough drawings I suck

IMG_3813.png IMG_0051.jpeg
 
I would do it without the baffles if you can.
 
Is the reason you aren't planning to use a sump due to space considerations, or some other reason?

I have a 40B as my main display. You can pretty easily acquire a 20G Petco tank and DIY it into a sump, which is what I did. My setup my be overkill, but I wouldn't be a huge fan of the skimmer options in an AIO configuration. If going the sump route is a feasible option, I really think it would allow you to make the most of the 40B dimensions.
 
Following this thread. Something about dual filtration on either side scratches an itch for me. Interested in seeing the final product.
 
Is the reason you aren't planning to use a sump due to space considerations, or some other reason?

I have a 40B as my main display. You can pretty easily acquire a 20G Petco tank and DIY it into a sump, which is what I did. My setup may be overkill, but I wouldn't be a huge fan of the skimmer options in an AIO configuration. If going the sump route is a feasible option, I really think it would allow you to make the most of the 40B dimensions.
Yea , I would love to drill the 40 gallon but it would be going in my living room and my parents want 0 pvc visible and want it against the wall so drilling it wouldn’t work. I actually did this with a 50 gallon on my 120 in my bedroom. If I could honestly I really prefer the sump as well
 
Following this thread. Something about dual filtration on either side scratches an itch for me. Interested in seeing the final product.
I’ll post updates as I make progress, I’m buying the tank and acrylic today and seeing about getting the acrylic laser cut or just cutting it myself
 
I'm a recent AIO fan after keeping tanks most my life. You mentioned no sump, not allowed. What about ATO? Make sure you have reliable ATO and large enough reservoir for a week or so. I wouldn't put a filter box at either end, it takes up too much real estate. I'm using a fiji cube box, it's not a bad option. I left the spaces on the sides wide open and just siliconed it to the side glass panel. I decided DIY box building was just going to be time consuming and a messy experience.

Edit. Just realized this is from 2025. How did it turn out?
 
How did it turn out for you @PSCoral
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 33.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new