40 gallon reef aquarium choice.

Echo2656

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been wanting to do a 40 gallon reef tank. But I have not been able to find a 40 gallon tank w/ the light and everything for the reefing. I would like someone to show me the best aquarium for my idea.

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Selections in the hobby for tanks that include lighting are pretty limited. Most buy a tank and then decide on lighting and equipment separately. Right off the bat Red Sea and Waterbox may have “reef” ready bundles that you seek.

Do you have an idea what dimensions youre looking for as far as the tank? 40 gallons comes in an array of shapes the most common being a 40 breeder.

Beyond that what’s your budget for tank/lights. Options span an array of budgets.

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Red Sea MAX E-170 is 45gals and comes with almost everything. It comes with lights, stand, pumps, skimmer, and sump. You'll have to buy a heater and possibly a couple other things but this is the closest I could find.

Here's the link to the product page on BRS. It's gonna run you close to $2200 I think or possibly more after taxes and additional equipment:

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of the E-170, I'd point you towards the Reef Octopus T90. Cheaper than the RedSea, it has a sump instead of an AIO chamber that can be converted to a Sump-system. It's 48 Gallon display, has a gravity-fed ATO that actually works and isn't cumbersome, comes with a great skimmer, media reactor, and a fairly decent return pump, all plumbing is included, you'd just need to buy lights, heater(s), and wavemakers. Also, the stand is apparently of world-class quality (According to the video below).

Link to tank on BRS Site:

Video Unboxing of the tank and Unboxing/mini-review of the stand:

Last edited:

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been wanting to do a 40 gallon reef tank. But I have not been able to find a 40 gallon tank w/ the light and everything for the reefing. I would like someone to show me the best aquarium for my idea.
What is your budget? Looking for a rimless tank or rimmed?

OP
OP
Echo2656

Echo2656

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of the E-170, I'd point you towards the Reef Octopus T90. Cheaper than the RedSea, it has a sump instead of an AIO chamber that can be converted to a Sump-system. It's 48 Gallon display, has a gravity-fed ATO that actually works and isn't cumbersome, comes with a great skimmer, media reactor, and a fairly decent return pump, all plumbing is included, you'd just need to buy lights, heater(s), and wavemakers. Also, the stand is apparently of world-class quality (According to the video below).

Link to tank on BRS Site:

Video Unboxing of the tank and Unboxing/mini-review of the stand:

Thanks, I'll look into it.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
prob like 1k without live stuff or anything
If your budget is $1K you might actually be better off going this route:

Petco Sale 40B (Currently $70 on the site but might be able to get in-store cheaper)
eShopps or Fiji Overflow (Around $150)
20 Long Aquarium (For Sump (Currently $34.99 on site at petco again maybe cheaper in store)
Fiji 20long Sump Baffle Kit ($115 at BRS)
Subtotal: ~$370

and your choice of stand, return, wavemakers, lights, heaters, etc.

Just involves a lot more of your labor (Drilling, Silicone, etc)

OP
OP
Echo2656

Echo2656

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your budget is $1K you might actually be better off going this route:

Petco Sale 40B (Currently $70 on the site but might be able to get in-store cheaper)
eShopps or Fiji Overflow (Around $150)
20 Long Aquarium (For Sump (Currently $34.99 on site at petco again maybe cheaper in store)
Fiji 20long Sump Baffle Kit ($115 at BRS)
Subtotal: ~$370

and your choice of stand, return, wavemakers, lights, heaters, etc.

Just involves a lot more of your labor (Drilling, Silicone, etc)
I alr have a 20 gallon long which my peacock mantis is in, but I want to have a 30-45 gallon reef to put a golden dwarf moray+corals in

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I alr have a 20 gallon long which my peacock mantis is in, but I want to have a 30-45 gallon reef to put a golden dwarf moray+corals in
the 40B is a 40 Gallon Aquarium, the 20Long is simply for a sump.

Edit: You basically buy 2 aquariums, 1 40+ Gallon (The 40B) for a display tank, and 1 20 Long to use as a sump, and plumb the two together using the overflow box and some PVC Plumbing

OP
OP
Echo2656

Echo2656

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the 40B is a 40 Gallon Aquarium, the 20Long is simply for a sump.

Edit: You basically buy 2 aquariums, 1 40+ Gallon (The 40B) for a display tank, and 1 20 Long to use as a sump, and plumb the two together using the overflow box and some PVC Plumbing
kinda like the octo lux cuz ill be able to put more in the tank besides the dwarf moray

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
either the sc or petco 40 breeder would be my choices and probably the only real way to stay under 1000$ unless you buy used equipement

Bldgengineer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40b with a 20L sump and the Fuji baffle kit. Both were bought at the $ per gallon sale and viparspectra light. With the protein skimmer and return pump I’m fairly certain I’m well below 1k

jumpoverit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really depends at to whether you plan on introducing corals to your tank. If so, the light will definitely matter. If you intend to only add fish, the light is not as important. Also, do you plan on having a sump? (water tank at the bottom of your main display tank). If so, an all-in-one aquarium kit is foreseeable (Red Sea, Waterbox etc).

zafink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Road trip? @Echo2656 Nice e-170 on classifieds right now for 1k...

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back