40 Gallon Stock

ReeFaLoT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put together a list of a few fish I would like to stock my new 40 gallon tank with. I am hoping some experienced reefers would be willing to look it over and advise. I am currently setting up a mixed reef 40 Gal Breeder with a 20 gal Sump which will give me roughly 50-55 gallons total water volume. The sump will house a rollermat, protein skimmer, and a refugium. The tank will have new dry rock with a fast fishless cycle using Dr. Tim's One and Only and a 1" sand bed.

Okay, here is the list I would like to have in the tank:

1x Coral Beauty Angelfish
1x Blue/Green Black-axil Chromis
2x Royal Gramma Basslet
1x Kaudern's Cardinalfish
1x Spotted Coral Croucher Goby

5x Nassarius Snail
5x Blue Leg Hermit Crab

So, Is this realistic? And if so, Can i add them all at once or is there one I should wait to add last?

Thank you.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That tank is a bit small for a swimmer like the coral beauty. Otherwise your list looks good. I'd add one fish at a time with the exception of the royal grammas, add them together. Adding a bunch of fish is usually gonna overload your bacteria system

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Sounds like a decent list but I agree that the coral beauty may be a bit big. May I suggest a cherub or flameback angel instead? They get to 2 1/2” - 3” instead of 4”-5” like the CB.

Im not sure about compatibility of two royal grammas in the same tank, Im sure someone can weigh in on that. I’ve never heard of it, but it could be okay I guess.

Honestly I feel like you may be a bit understocked with this list. I’m assuming you have sand because of the nass. snails, have you looked at sand-stirring fish like gobies or wrasses? They are an important part of a healthy sand bed :).

IMO (if you have a sand bed) I feel like you should have at least one fish/notable invert (CUC tiny hermit crabs/snails don’t count) in each of the following categories.

Open Water Swimmer- a fish that uses the whole water column to swim and provides a lot of movement/life to the tank. This category includes most wrasses, angels, triggers, puffers, damsels, etc.

Percher- A fish that doesn’t do a lot of swimming, mostly rock hopping. Nice to play Where’s Waldo? and it’s always fun to see them hiding amongst your zoas/euphyllia. This category includes hawkfish, coral crouchers, and large shrimp like fire or peppermint shrimp. Sexy shrimp, pom pom crabs, or similar species also count for this category.

Sand Sifter- A fish that makes its home in the sand bed, rarely getting more than 6” off the ground. These are important for making sure your sand bed stays clean and free of debris. Species include prawn/pistol shrimp gobies, pistol shrimp, fighting conchs, and jawfish.

These are the 3 categories I always recommend that a tank should have, and there are a few sub categories like ‘Territory’ (clowns for example, rarely leaving a specific area) and ‘Sand Sleeping’ (such as wrasses that bury in the sand to sleep/hide but swim openly in the day.

I hope this helps you!! TLDR, I’d really suggest a better sand crew than a few nass snails :)

OP
OP
ReeFaLoT

ReeFaLoT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That tank is a bit small for a swimmer like the coral beauty. Otherwise your list looks good. I'd add one fish at a time with the exception of the royal grammas, add them together. Adding a bunch of fish is usually gonna overload your bacteria system

Thank you. I at first had a cherub on my list but I read a post that the Coral Beauty might be less aggressive. I think they are both nice looking so I'd have no issue going with the Cherub if it is the better fit for a 40gal.

I hope this helps you!! TLDR, I’d really suggest a better sand crew than a few nass snails :)

Thank you for taking the time to respond so thoroughly. I very much like your suggestion for the sand crew. I was just browsing the Liveaquaria site and they actually have this: "Orange Spotted Prawn Goby (Bonded Pair) with Red Banded Pistol Shrimp." How awesome is that! These are for sure making it into my tank. The site says to wait until the tank is more established until adding them. I believe this is so the sand will have more deposits in it for them to sift through.

So, it seems I have a pretty solid plan now with the exception of the royal grammas. I was really hoping that if I added 2 juveniles at the same time they would get along but I may do some more research on this one. I put two on the list because I read a post where someone had 5 in a single tank and they looked fantastic together. I will inquire more about this before I purchase them.

Thank you for your insights!!!

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it makes you feel any better, here’s my cherub with his best friends. He’s a joy to have and has never picked at any of my corals (believe me, I watch him like a hawk!)
75BF273C-6D65-4E9E-A889-333CC27E909D.jpeg
7B7FC3CD-94AB-4DD3-B2E3-B1EA1702987B.jpeg

OP
OP
ReeFaLoT

ReeFaLoT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is amazing how in just 2 weeks plans could change so much. I decided to shut down my 10 gal nano and move my 2 clowns and a fire shrimp into my new 40B. Also, I purchased a Chalk Bass trio from Divers Den yesterday. These will go into the tank first and then I'll run my Clowns through QT and move them over. After that....

With this chalk bass trio plus two clowns I am not sure how much room I will have left in the tank. Do you guys/gals think there will be enough room left for a dwarf Angel and possibly a wrasse?

New List:
3x Chalk Bass
2x Clowns

Next up:
1x Cherub Angel
1x Lubbock's Wrasse
1x Yellow Watchmen goby with a pistol shrimp

CUC:
1x fire shrimp
10 Snails

Is this unrealistic in 40 gal?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back