40 head Duncan closed virtually overnight

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a 34 gallon reefer 170 with various sps, lps, softies, etc. 2 photon clowns and a biota Mandarin. Everything has been good for awhile. Been dosing allforreef for about 2 months maybe. I have a 40+ head Duncan that mostly closed up yesterday, and today it's totally closed. Everything else is fine except I lost 1 head on a hammer for some reason. No new additions in maybe a year. Try to keep all at 9, cal is 430, mag around 1300. No clue on phosphate or nitrate, I'll have to order new kits. Salinity is 1.026 via the tropic marin glass hydrometer. I've had this Duncan for like 4 years from a 13 head. Would an iodine dip help?
They often close for almost no reason. A bump or jar will close some for a week then you can frag one up and it'll stay open. Lol. As long as the skin is green it's OK. It's probably big enough now to start losing heads that are shaded out. Maybe make some nice 3 or 4 head frags. Good luck. I hope it's OK. Ohhh. They hate nitrate spikes.

OP
OP
J

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can we see a fts?
Sorry for blues, it's a hydra26hd and a pain to come up with a temp setting then switch back. There's a hammer near front of rock on left that lost a head, Duncan is just behind it. So I've been giving a few drops of polylabs polyboost then phyto from Eldridge on here. It seems to open for that. That's one thing I neglected to mention is I've been feeding reef nutrition live phyto and Eldridge phyto regularly but ran out so was skipping a few days, magically when the Duncan closed. I didn't relate the two.

Attachments

• IMG_20220425_203438818.jpg
    IMG_20220425_203438818.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 37

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for blues, it's a hydra26hd and a pain to come up with a temp setting then switch back. There's a hammer near front of rock on left that lost a head, Duncan is just behind it. So I've been giving a few drops of polylabs polyboost then phyto from Eldridge on here. It seems to open for that. That's one thing I neglected to mention is I've been feeding reef nutrition live phyto and Eldridge phyto regularly but ran out so was skipping a few days, magically when the Duncan closed. I didn't relate the two.
Can't tell much from pic. One of mine, maybe a dozen heads, just opened after 6 days closed after I toothbrushed some rocks. Right beside him a group of twenty of so stayed open and beautiful. I moved a colony in another tank less than a foot and he's still closed 4 days later. They'll be fine if you manage water quality.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it is blue, but the picture is really hard to see what is going on. I do see the duncans. I just cannot see what that is around them. Keep water stable and not too much flow and see if they come back as stated above.

Otherwise, a better picture with a filter or whites only would be beneficial.

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A regular flashlight will provide enough white to get a pic. Shine ot on the duncans. I can't tell what's what either. Lol. Get some orange glasses. Great filter for phone pics. Good luck. Mine are all open since last reply. Lol. Duncans are hardy but weird.

OP
OP
J

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A regular flashlight will provide enough white to get a pic. Shine ot on the duncans. I can't tell what's what either. Lol. Get some orange glasses. Great filter for phone pics. Good luck. Mine are all open since last reply. Lol. Duncans are hardy but weird.
Yeah, most are open mostly now. A few are closed still. The rest are open, just not 100%, maybe 80+%. I did do an 18 gallon water change, so roughly 50% plus added pods and phyto from @Eldredge

Phuture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if this helps but I've also heard of these issues happening with a leather coral in the tank, had my toadstool on one side the wellso wasn't happy, put it on other side elegance isnt happy pretty strange

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if this helps but I've also heard of these issues happening with a leather coral in the tank, had my toadstool on one side the wellso wasn't happy, put it on other side elegance isnt happy pretty strange
Nothing strange about it.

Soft corals use aleopathy as means of coral warfare. Meaning they put out a toxic substance that will kill other corals so they can grow into that space.

Exactly why when you moved the leather, the other coral it is near is PO'ed, and now the coral it was near is doing better.

Running a quality carbon 24/7/365 can alleviate a lot of these issues.

Phuture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing strange about it.

Soft corals use aleopathy as means of coral warfare. Meaning they put out a toxic substance that will kill other corals so they can grow into that space.

Exactly why when you moved the leather, the other coral it is near is PO'ed, and now the coral it was near is doing better.

Running a quality carbon 24/7/365 can alleviate a lot of these issues.
I figured my toady would only release if it was p'd off and im running polylab carbon currently. I think toady and elegance where both a lighting problem once moved the toadstool actually extents the disc all the way same with the elegance. Thanks for the info!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back