40b Resurrection

35ppt

Large Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking about getting a 20L or 29G to use as a sump at the next dollar per gallon sale just try an experiment on.
Apparently it's coming up:

I'm building a 40 breeder build right now too, I got the 20L and imaginarium stand but I'm thinking about using the stand and 20 elsewhere and building my own stand and getting another 40 for the sump. :cool:

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Retro Reefer likes HOB overflows

I have always used HOB overflows on my reef tanks mostly for their low cost and simplicity of use but there are lots of things that IMO make them better than permanently installed overflows such as being able to move them to different positions on the tank if needed, you can adjust the water level in your tank, no worry about leaking bulk heads and they can be removed in minutes for cleaning or repair if needed.

Im using the eshopps PF-300 on my 40 breeder, it’s extremely well made and I’m very happy with it...

1700763F-5CAC-453C-AF42-37F461699281.png

OP
OP
Bldgengineer

Bldgengineer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always used HOB overflows on my reef tanks mostly for their low cost and simplicity of use but there are lots of things that IMO make them better than permanently installed overflows such as being able to move them to different positions on the tank if needed, you can adjust the water level in your tank, no worry about leaking bulk heads and they can be removed in minutes for cleaning or repair if needed.

Im using the eshopps PF-300 on my 40 breeder, it’s extremely well made and I’m very happy with it...

1700763F-5CAC-453C-AF42-37F461699281.png

Awesome! I was looking at those trying to figure out which one to use. Thanks!

OP
OP
Bldgengineer

Bldgengineer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Retro Reefer do you mind sharing a link to your 40b setup? I'm getting a shopping cart together now and trying to decide on a return pump, protein skimmer, fuge light etc. and Everytime I come back to it my sump ends up being a $500-$600 system lol!

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Retro Reefer do you mind sharing a link to your 40b setup? I'm getting a shopping cart together now and trying to decide on a return pump, protein skimmer, fuge light etc. and Everytime I come back to it my sump ends up being a $500-$600 system lol!

Your not to far out of line, I’m at about $500 for my Sump, Skimmer, Reactor, Return pump, Heater and probe holder but almost everything was purchased on sale.. If you have the patience to wait and watch for discounts you can save a ton :) If I had paid full price for everything I would be at about $750-$800 ;)

OP
OP
Bldgengineer

Bldgengineer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your not to far out of line, I’m at about $500 for my Sump, Skimmer, Reactor, Return pump, Heater and probe holder but almost everything was purchased on sale.. If you have the patience to wait and watch for discounts you can save a ton :) If I had paid full price for everything I would be at about $750-$800 ;)

I have a curve 7 sitting in the garage but that may be over doing it a little

OP
OP
Bldgengineer

Bldgengineer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I just go ahead and put this in service? Or move along with my 20L sump project? I planned on using them once I upgraded but right not they're just collecting dust in the garage

Edit: trigger 34 and curve 7

IMG_20200315_163813.jpg

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heck yeah I would use it :) that sump should work great, I’m not familiar with the curve 7 but you could maybe just run it periodically if it’s oversized.

OP
OP
Bldgengineer

Bldgengineer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it's been a while but covid struck and believe it or not I've never been so busy so here's a quick synopsis:

Through neglect of no fault but my own and my mccoskers wrasse dying, I had a slight tank crash. New tank syndrome took over and I had/currently have a diatom and algae issues I've been fighting. It got bad enough my zoas started melting.

Finally found some copepods in my aquarium without (knowingly) introducing them. Water is clearing up and my zoas and polys are coming back some. 30% water changes, daily manual removal and lowering my water temp 2F seem to be helping significantly with my algae issues(hermits and nerite snails are finally keeping up). Still waiting on my fiji cube 20l sump kit to come in so I can get that set up and going(wont ship until june some time but I really like the kit). I tried the trigger 34 but it doesn't fit in the stand. I have chaeto but it being in the AC70 doesnt seem to be helping much right now.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back