40b Stocking questions.

Scallywags

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all!, Happy March Madness! I Plan on getting started with stocking this weekend So just double checking. All going into a 40 breeder reef (i'll be ordering a screen kit).

Midas Blenny
Tailspot Blenny
Purple or exquisite firefish
Rainfords Goby
Green Clown Goby
and Possibly a wrasse of some sort... I like some of the long fin or whip fin fairy wrasse. Possum Wrasse look cool. ( I love 6 lines but they can turn out to be such punks)

Any problem having those two blennys or is that too heavy of a load for a 40b? I have a big sump with i think 60 gallons of water in the system.

Thanks!

OP
OP
S

Scallywags

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also are there certain fish that should be introduced sooner rather than later?

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would avoid the Whipfin as they can be aggressive. If you like the long fin then go with a Male McCosker's or Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse. I would also avoid the Firefish with the Blennies in there. Firefish can be very skittish and Blennies can take issue with them (especially the Midas). If you want a similar shape and look go with a Royal Gramma Basslet or Black Cap Basslet as they can hold their own against a somewhat aggressive fish.

OP
OP
S

Scallywags

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I might switch up the bennies then. I would rather have the peaceful fish in there

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I might switch up the bennies then. I would rather have the peaceful fish in there

Blennies are generally peaceful with tank mates, but they do have issue with similar species and shapes. Personally I would take the blenny over the firefish as the Firefish tend to hide a fair bit, especially if another fish gets assertive with them. I almost never saw my Purple Firefish and it was the number one target of any assertive fish I put in my tank. One of the things you will discover is that the smaller more peaceful fish tend to be shy and can spend a fair bit of time hiding, which means you don't see them as much. Personally I don't think I will ever own a dartfish again after my Experience with my Purple Firefish and Scissortail (both of them hid too much for my tastes). That is why I suggested the Basslets as they tend to be more bold but will give you a similar size/shape and are bright and colorful to boot:

https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+2730+53&pcatid=53

https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+2730+47&pcatid=47

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back