OP
OP
cichlidtx

cichlidtx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all, I will keep posting pics as things progress. I still have to build the canopy as time permits. I'll keep I eye on the tubes to see if they are vermetids.

OP
OP
cichlidtx

cichlidtx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update time

I discovered a Collonista snail moving across the sand last night, it was about 1/4". I put my light fixture on top of the tank just to see how it looks. I running all uvl bulbs in the order below. The pic is close to the actual color a little less blue. I have some other bulbs to try when I start adding corals to find the combo I like. Also, I'm looking for some input on fish, let me know your ideas.
indigo sun
super actinic
011711-2.jpg

OP
OP
cichlidtx

cichlidtx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another update, its' been awhile as it is just the same old boring cycle. Well it's completed and I have added a few corals that friend gave me as he sold his tank to down size. I still need to build the canopy, should get to it in a couple weeks, wrestling seasons almost over. I'm not sure on the lighting combo yet but I have some other bulbs to try. Here's a few pics.

FTS
012511FTS.jpg

Wall Hammer
012511WallHammer.jpg

Pagoda cup?
012511Pagoda.jpg

Galaxea
012511Elegance.jpg

Duncan
012511Duncan.jpg

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great. 40B is one of my favorite sized tanks for something small. Great size all around. I had a 40B setup a few years back, had two 150w halides on it an it look terrific.

Great setup, and I'm loving that overflow, great idea.

OP
OP
cichlidtx

cichlidtx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the compliments. I really like this size tank, has some depth and not to tall. I will continue to transfer corals over as time permits and will continue with the pics.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds great, keep us updating. A 40B can look fantastic when done correctly, and it definitely looks like you are on the right track. Nice job so far.

aalvarado87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dude that is a super clean build i just built a 28 gallon tank and have been trying to decide what kind of overflow to go with did you make that one yourself. How does it work without having teeth? really clean build what kind of guide did you use for holes?

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you concerned with all the holes drilled in the glass that it might compromise the integrity of the glass causing it to potentially crack?

OP
OP
cichlidtx

cichlidtx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dude that is a super clean build i just built a 28 gallon tank and have been trying to decide what kind of overflow to go with did you make that one yourself. How does it work without having teeth? really clean build what kind of guide did you use for holes?
Thanks. It's a copy of a Beananimal type drain system. I did make the overflow, was a simple project. The purpose of the teeth I believe is mainly to prevent livestock from going into thee overflow, which is why I made the cover. I made the guide from scrap paneling that I had to the correct dimensions.

Are you concerned with all the holes drilled in the glass that it might compromise the integrity of the glass causing it to potentially crack?
I hope not, this is not a new type of setup its been used on numerous tanks that I had researched before attempting on my tank. I'll keep mt finger's crossed.

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the way upi added the moon lights very inventive. Are you going to put a canopy on that thing?

OP
OP
cichlidtx

cichlidtx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have added some more corals from my nanocube and a clown from my son's 5.5gal. Still haven't started the canopy, hopefully soon. Here's some more pics.

020311FTS.jpg

020311Clown.jpg

020311Left.jpg

020311Right.jpg

020311Duncan.jpg

OP
OP
cichlidtx

cichlidtx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the way upi added the moon lights very inventive. Are you going to put a canopy on that thing?
Yeah I'm planning on building the canopy just haven't had a chance to build it yet.
Looking great, have you figured out how much turnover you have in that thing?
Not quite sure. Is this the correct way to calculate.
Mag 7 return pump= 600gph w/ head loss
skimmer = 150gph
evo750 =750gph
total = 1500gph
Estimate 50gal total volume gives me about 30x turnover.

Does that sound right?

jonzee2006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that overflow set up is sweet and super quiet. I was going to go with the same overflow set up but I'm to chicken to drill my tank so I went with a reef ready tank lol

HiroPro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great!! I love the 40B. I'm about to upgrade mine to a 120 but thinking of keeping the 40 for a frag tank.
I like the bracket you made for the drain pipes on your sump. Is that acrylic and is it attached in anyway to the frame of the sump?

OP
OP
cichlidtx

cichlidtx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the compliments. This tank has been really fun building and I'm looking forward to watching grow.

Looks great!! I love the 40B. I'm about to upgrade mine to a 120 but thinking of keeping the 40 for a frag tank.
I like the bracket you made for the drain pipes on your sump. Is that acrylic and is it attached in anyway to the frame of the sump?

The bracket is acrylic. It rests in the same location that a glass top would on the rim of the tank and a vertical support piece on the center baffle of the bubble trap. I had to add a couple stops to the rim to keep it place as well. It worked out great and also stops the splashing.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back