40g breeder coral light?

ikaros70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are going to get a lot of varying opinions on this subject, mostly because people will advise by what they have personally purchased. Most people will purchase a light and stick with it, then you have me, lol!
At the price point your at, your pretty much looking at black box led fixtures.
I’m a system engineer by trade, pretty much ocd due to my background and went down the black box led rabbit hole when I rebooted my main system, I am from the days MH had a grip on the hobby but with MH fading away in the hobby, replacement lighting has gotten a lot more expensive, especially for larger systems.
I have a 210g display, 40 breeder frag tank and 40 gallon sump. Replacing all the MH and T5 bulbs on my system was almost as expensive as just purchasing black box led fixtures for my entire system. So I decided to try the led route.

With all that said, this has been my experience with black box leds.
The color spectrum on most all the black box leds I have tried, all suck. Sorry to those that have the BB leds, I am about to mention but this has been my experience with them, it’s my honest opinion and it is what it is.

Between my friends in the hobby and me purchasing on my own. I have tried the following black box leds.
Phlison, wills, mars aqua, smatfarm and Viparspectra.

Let’s start with color spectrum.
Out of all the black box leds I tried, Viparspectra by far has the best color spectrum. Wasn’t even close.
Phlison, wills and mars aqua were all pretty close, really couldn’t tell much of a difference by eye. White channel even on the lowest setting tends to overpower the blue channel.
Giving more of a yellowish color spectrum, didn’t really care for it. Mars aqua I purchased used for a really good price, so those I kept and am using them on my frag tank.
The color spectrum is more yellow for my liking but they grow corals fine. Good enough for my frag tank.
Smatfarm color spectrum was very yellow in general, just looked odd. Even with the white channels on the lowest setting, was very yellow. just didn’t care for the color spectrum.
It was either windex look or very yellow white channels. No in between. IMO… White channels are just way overpowered and drown out the blue channels.
Viparspectra was the closest I could get to the 14-20k MH look I was looking for.

Next, par.
All these black box leds will grow corals and have plenty of par for our needs.
In general, these are are very powerful lights and you pretty much need a par meter to properly setup. If you turn these things all the way up, they can and will likely cook corals. Especially softies and lps.
My 210 is a deep tank, 29” deep.
Viparspectra in stock form I run at 30% blue and 1% white, plenty of par for my tank. Just over 100 par on the sandbed.
All these IMO.. have alot of hotspots and should all come with 120* lenses.
Especially the mars aqua, these lights came with dimpled lenses and they were like freakin laser beams, hot spots everywhere. Big par fluctuations as you moved the par meter around.
You would think the dimpled lenses would act like a light defuser but that was not the case.
I tried removing the lenses all together but didn’t care for the look and also dropped par.
Even my wife didn’t care for the look and asked what I did to the lights, lol!
Smatfarm lens is a single dome style lens and I didn’t see any point of even trying to remove the lens.
You can turn down the led driver wattage for the white channel on most of these black box leds. so the white channel Isn’t as intense. I did this on my Viparspectra and mars aqua lights, helps with adjustment of the white channel.
All 4 of these Viparspectra’s were set to 11w @ the 1% setting on the white channel. I was able to drop the wattage to 5w and that helped.
Just made the white channel easier to adjust to my liking.

Spread.
Most all these black box leds come with 90* lenses. IMO.. these should come with 120* from the manu but all the ones I mentioned come with 90*.
In order to get the spread to my liking, I upgraded the mars aqua and Viparspectra's to 120* lenses. IMO… a must for these lights.
Smatfarm uses a different style led arrangement and has one large domed type lens.

Disco ball affect.
Being from the days of MH, IMO shimmer is something you want but disco ball affect is something different.
IMO, led lighting shouldn’t make you dizzy when admiring your tank, lol!
Wills, phlison, Viparspectra- shimmer about the same on all 3 of these lights, didn’t notice much of a difference between the 3.
Shimmer is fine on all 3, no complaints.
Mars aqua - these came with dimpled lenses and had a strong disco ball affect.
Again, shimmer should not make your head spin when staring at your tank, lol!
Smatfarm- had more of a disco ball affect then the wills, phlison and Viparspectra. Not as mars as the mars aqua.
Out of all theses, mars aqua had the worst disco balls affect.

I have seen people post good things about noopske but I don’t have any personal experience with those Lights, just what I have seen online.
At this point, I’m happy with the Viparspectra’s but may give noopske a try at some point.
Maybe I’ll try one over my frag tank.

Almost forgot to mention… look in the 4sale section, people are often selling them and can be found for a fraction of the original cost. I purchased 2 marsaqua used for $50, good deal and work fine for my frag tank.

Anyway, hope this helps.
To those that have some of the led lights, that I didn’t really care for, don’t take it personal.
Everyone has different taste and this is very much a personal preference type of subject.
This was just my personal experience with the lights, I have tried thus far.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are going to get a lot of varying opinions on this subject,

Spread.
Most all these black box leds come with 90* lenses. IMO.. these should come with 120* from the manu but all the ones I mentioned come with 90*.
In order to get the spread to my liking, I upgraded the mars aqua and Viparspectra's to 120* lenses. IMO… a must for these lights.
Smatfarm uses a different style led arrangement and has one large domed type lens.

Disco ball affect.
Being from the days of MH, IMO shimmer is something you want but disco ball affect is something different.
Wills, phlison, Viparspectra- shimmer about the same on all 3 of these lights, didn’t notice much of a difference between the 3.
Smatfarm- had more of a disco ball affect then the wills, phlison and Viparspectra. Not as mars as the mars aqua.
There is a school of thought that actually going in the reverse direction "may" improve some of the drawbacks.
Using say 30 degree lenses and hang them much higher can help with blending and shadowing.

If you get bored give it a shot.

As to spectrum, bb's (currently, there was one that went SMD making it difficult to deal with) are easy to modify.

For fun:

The lensing/diffusing/reflector field is wide open atm as to "best".
Oddly Viparspectra uses reflectors on their hort. lights not lenses.

Grassycore leds are using both reflectors coupled to a aspheric lens system.
https://www.aquariumlightings.com/corex.html

Currently selling at close to black box level pricing.

ikaros70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You talking hort. As in horticulture?
Aka plant grow light.
I can only assume those plant grow lights are of a different design but I don’t have one, really can’t say.
I do know my Viparspectra reef light came with what seems to be a standard lens, like the pic.
I didn’t notice any type of reflective material in the original Viparspectra lenses but I can check when I get home.

Attachments

• 6B99E27B-1B0F-4615-ABDF-092E168B4D0A.jpeg
    6B99E27B-1B0F-4615-ABDF-092E168B4D0A.jpeg
    85.8 KB · Views: 25

ikaros70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently selling at close to black box level pricing.

Those lights from aquatic life are interesting, good price also. haven’t heard of them until now. I like that they are app controlled and have a 36” version.
Heck, 2 of those would fit over my 210.
I currently have 4 165w Vipar’s over my 210

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You talking hort. As in horticulture?
Aka plant grow light.
I can only assume those plant grow lights are of a different design but I don’t have one, really can’t say.
I do know my Viparspectra reef light came with what seems to be a standard lens, like the pic.
I didn’t notice any type of reflective material in the original Viparspectra lenses but I can check when I get home.
No they don't have any reflectors in the reef viparspectra.
The horticulture ones also give the more realistic wattage btw, well with certain Versions I guess.

Pointless side note really.

ikaros70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No they don't have any reflectors in the reef viparspectra.
The horticulture ones also give the more realistic wattage btw, well with certain Versions I guess.

Pointless side note really.

Ok, got it. Lol
Heck, the way inflation is going I may just get a grow light and start growing some whacky tabacky, lol!
Need that side hustle

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those lights from aquatic life are interesting, good price also. haven’t heard of them until now. I like that they are app controlled and have a 36” version.
Heck, 2 of those would fit over my 210.
I currently have 4 165w Vipar’s over my 210
Believe years ago they were branded as Grassycore.
I checked out the fw one. Was fairly impressive on stats but expensive ( for freshwater :))

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T5s, I have found that cheap LEDs can definitely grow coral but not as well. T5s are plug and play which is highly overlooked nowadays, “customizable” is not a good thing. T5s you can’t screw up.

If you want leds, save up for nice ones, oh and you need several for any type of decent coverage :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
bgilson

bgilson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are going to get a lot of varying opinions on this subject, mostly because people will advise by what they have personally purchased. Most people will purchase a light and stick with it, then you have me, lol!
At the price point your at, your pretty much looking at black box led fixtures.
I’m a system engineer by trade, pretty much ocd due to my background and went down the black box led rabbit hole when I rebooted my main system, I am from the days MH had a grip on the hobby but with MH fading away in the hobby, replacement lighting has gotten a lot more expensive, especially for larger systems.
I have a 210g display, 40 breeder frag tank and 40 gallon sump. Replacing all the MH and T5 bulbs on my system was almost as expensive as just purchasing black box led fixtures for my entire system. So I decided to try the led route.

With all that said, this has been my experience with black box leds.
The color spectrum on most all the black box leds I have tried, all suck. Sorry to those that have the BB leds, I am about to mention but this has been my experience with them, it’s my honest opinion and it is what it is.

Between my friends in the hobby and me purchasing on my own. I have tried the following black box leds.
Phlison, wills, mars aqua, smatfarm and Viparspectra.

Let’s start with color spectrum.
Out of all the black box leds I tried, Viparspectra by far has the best color spectrum. Wasn’t even close.
Phlison, wills and mars aqua were all pretty close, really couldn’t tell much of a difference by eye. White channel even on the lowest setting tends to overpower the blue channel.
Giving more of a yellowish color spectrum, didn’t really care for it. Mars aqua I purchased used for a really good price, so those I kept and am using them on my frag tank.
The color spectrum is more yellow for my liking but they grow corals fine. Good enough for my frag tank.
Smatfarm color spectrum was very yellow in general, just looked odd. Even with the white channels on the lowest setting, was very yellow. just didn’t care for the color spectrum.
It was either windex look or very yellow white channels. No in between. IMO… White channels are just way overpowered and drown out the blue channels.
Viparspectra was the closest I could get to the 14-20k MH look I was looking for.

Next, par.
All these black box leds will grow corals and have plenty of par for our needs.
In general, these are are very powerful lights and you pretty much need a par meter to properly setup. If you turn these things all the way up, they can and will likely cook corals. Especially softies and lps.
My 210 is a deep tank, 29” deep.
Viparspectra in stock form I run at 30% blue and 1% white, plenty of par for my tank. Just over 100 par on the sandbed.
All these IMO.. have alot of hotspots and should all come with 120* lenses.
Especially the mars aqua, these lights came with dimpled lenses and they were like freakin laser beams, hot spots everywhere. Big par fluctuations as you moved the par meter around.
You would think the dimpled lenses would act like a light defuser but that was not the case.
I tried removing the lenses all together but didn’t care for the look and also dropped par.
Even my wife didn’t care for the look and asked what I did to the lights, lol!
Smatfarm lens is a single dome style lens and I didn’t see any point of even trying to remove the lens.
You can turn down the led driver wattage for the white channel on most of these black box leds. so the white channel Isn’t as intense. I did this on my Viparspectra and mars aqua lights, helps with adjustment of the white channel.
All 4 of these Viparspectra’s were set to 11w @ the 1% setting on the white channel. I was able to drop the wattage to 5w and that helped.
Just made the white channel easier to adjust to my liking.

Spread.

Disco ball affect.

I have seen people post good things about noopske but I don’t have any personal experience with those Lights, just what I have seen online.
At this point, I’m happy with the Viparspectra’s but may give noopske a try at some point.
Maybe I’ll try one over my frag tank.

Almost forgot to mention… look in the 4sale section, people are often selling them and can be found for a fraction of the original cost. I purchased 2 marsaqua used for $50, good deal and work fine for my frag tank.

Anyway, hope this helps.
To those that have some of the led lights, that I didn’t really care for, don’t take it personal.
Everyone has different taste and this is very much a personal preference type of subject.
This was just my personal experience with the lights, I have tried thus far.
Have you had any experience with current usa orbit marine by chance. This is what I have now. I have some zoas that are doing great. One or two that arent. I have a blasto that came completely back alive and growing. My duncan seems happy. But I have lost a zoa, mushroom, and alien brain.

Attachments

• 00EE7422-0932-4B87-A8F6-8C6A8CCF74FE.jpeg
    00EE7422-0932-4B87-A8F6-8C6A8CCF74FE.jpeg
    129.5 KB · Views: 23

ikaros70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t owned any of the current USA led lights or don’t know anyone that does but I did find the specs online.
I have had the current USA MH and T5 but those are a different animal.
It really depends on which model you have and tank dimensions.
The black box led lights I have over my 40 breeder are only pulling about 20 watts each when both channels are on (full daylight affect) but I have 2 of them over my 40g, so would be 40 watts combined.
Let us know what your tank dimensions are and which exact model light you have.
I would think, should be able to figure it out.

8F63DB43-E32A-45E3-B5AA-C809A2DAB34F.png

ikaros70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you had any experience with current usa orbit marine by chance. This is what I have now. I have some zoas that are doing great. One or two that arent. I have a blasto that came completely back alive and growing. My duncan seems happy. But I have lost a zoa, mushroom, and alien brain.

See reply above, forgot to hit quote on my reply :)

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at original post. This is what he wants to upgrade from.

OP
OP
bgilson

bgilson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t owned any of the current USA led lights or don’t know anyone that does but I did find the specs online.
I have had the current USA MH and T5 but those are a different animal.
It really depends on which model you have and tank dimensions.
The black box led lights I have over my 40 breeder are only pulling about 20 watts each when both channels are on (full daylight affect) but I have 2 of them over my 40g, so would be 40 watts combined.
Let us know what your tank dimensions are and which exact model light you have.
I would think, should be able to figure it out.

8F63DB43-E32A-45E3-B5AA-C809A2DAB34F.png
I have the 24-36”

HighlandReef

Chalice Monger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 24-36”

that 24-36” led light is rated at 24watts, which should technically be enough power for a 24” tank. What is a little strange is, the spec sheet shows it’s only like 3.5” wide. Basically, long and skinny.
104 total leds is plenty but the configuration may be an issue?
Assuming you have the light hung length wise, L to R,
How is the coverage front to back?
That may be your biggest challenge.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that 24-36” led light is rated at 24watts, which should technically be enough power for a 24” tank. What is a little strange is, the spec sheet shows it’s only like 3.5” wide. Basically, long and skinny.
104 total leds is plenty but the configuration may be an issue?
Assuming you have the light hung length wise, L to R,
How is the coverage front to back?
That may be your biggest challenge.
o/p's tank is a 40b
36" x 18-ish...
To be honest I wouldn't (and haven't) recommended that size/spec light for freshwater plants much less corals.
The 4102 is about the lowest to go really.

HighlandReef

Chalice Monger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
o/p's tank is a 40b
36" x 18-ish...
To be honest I wouldn't (and haven't) recommended that size/spec light for freshwater plants much less corals.
The 4102 is about the lowest to go really.

ah, ok.
Agree, I don’t see that light cutting it for a 40b.
From the thread, looks like he is interested in a black box led.
Something along the lines of 2 Viparspectra’s or that aquatic life light you posted from Amazon should work.
if he needs a budget friendly option, could always go used. Seems like the Viparspectra lights are going for ~75 used. Cheap alternative.
Used T5 with a couple 470nm light bars for some pop would also be an option. The led light bars telegram reviewed from AliExpress seem to be solid.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ah, ok.
Agree, I don’t see that light cutting it for a 40b.
From the thread, looks like he is interested in a black box led.
Something along the lines of 2 Viparspectra’s or that aquatic life light you posted from Amazon should work.
if he needs a budget friendly option, could always go used. Seems like the Viparspectra lights are going for ~75 used. Cheap alternative.
Used T5 with a couple 470nm light bars for some pop would also be an option. The led light bars telegram reviewed from AliExpress seem to be solid.
One other option is another Current, this time the 4102.
Total 63W at full.
Not "the best" idea really but keeps in the "Program" so to speak.
Currently $172.
The optics (or more like the lack of secondary optics) and low power diodes are a bit of a stretch but I assume it depends on what you want to grow.
These are pretty much made to be run full with the "look" of full.
Still is fairly weak in the scheme of things but 2x (total) better than the orig. and a better spread.

As to bars there is also stuff like this:
$98 for a 30" with about 60W at the diodes each.
2 of those, a sunsetter and what they have works.
The 90 degree lensing doesn't match the Current well though.
Heck hang 2 by themselves..If not enough get another or a t5 unit.
Of course the hanging thing is probably part of the issue.

OP
OP
bgilson

bgilson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like I get good coverage especially since my rockscape and corals are center of the tank. My current light just sits on top of the glass lid. I was looking at noopsyche k7 mini. Getting 2 of them. Its $200 and they are 30 watts each. Problem I have with hanging a light is from top of tank to ceiling is 4’6”. Lights I see only come with 2 foot wire hangers and need a rod to hook to.

Attachments

• 66514817-10DE-4445-8271-3EB47E6537E3.jpeg
    66514817-10DE-4445-8271-3EB47E6537E3.jpeg
    110.8 KB · Views: 20

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 28.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 30.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back