420 Gallon reef fish stocking help?

14crazychris

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

So my new 8ft aquarium has arrived and I’m looking at deciding what to stock it with. Although I’m atleast 6-8 weeks away from introducing any fish to it I’d like to have a plan together. Originally I was going for sharks, then angels and tangs and then angel only but I think I have settled on not trying to overcomplicate things and go for a reef system (tangs, angels, anthias, wrasse etc). Could anyone help suggest a fish list and number of fish that would be good for this tank. I’m only going with soft corals and easy to keep corals so nutrients won’t need to be kept super low. I also want a good variety of clean up crew and invertebrates. So far here are the fish I like/am thinking of

Purple tang
Blonde naso tang
Blue line angel
Regal angel
Majestic angel
swallowtail Angel
Blue throat trigger
Anthias group
Yellow tail wrasse
china wrasse
Flasher wrasse
copperband butterfly
Two Diamind gobies

Do you think I have space for more or am I way overstocked already? My main focus is the fish and any soft corals I have I don’t mind if they become food etc. I’d love to grow some macro algae in the display but feel this would be chomped by the tangs. Any additional fish or changes would be much appreciated?

Cheers,
chris

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hi Everyone,

So my new 8ft aquarium has arrived and I’m looking at deciding what to stock it with. Although I’m atleast 6-8 weeks away from introducing any fish to it I’d like to have a plan together. Originally I was going for sharks, then angels and tangs and then angel only but I think I have settled on not trying to overcomplicate things and go for a reef system (tangs, angels, anthias, wrasse etc). Could anyone help suggest a fish list and number of fish that would be good for this tank. I’m only going with soft corals and easy to keep corals so nutrients won’t need to be kept super low. I also want a good variety of clean up crew and invertebrates. So far here are the fish I like/am thinking of

Purple tang
Blonde naso tang
Blue line angel
Regal angel
Majestic angel
swallowtail Angel
Blue throat trigger
Anthias group
Yellow tail wrasse
china wrasse
Flasher wrasse
copperband butterfly
Two Diamind gobies

Do you think I have space for more or am I way overstocked already? My main focus is the fish and any soft corals I have I don’t mind if they become food etc. I’d love to grow some macro algae in the display but feel this would be chomped by the tangs. Any additional fish or changes would be much appreciated?

Cheers,
chris
I just started a 210 gallon angel tank. In my research I believe that I found that the Majestic might be more aggressive than some of the others. You might see if there is another angel that might get along better. Majestic is however one of my favorites. Regale have a reputation for being difficult to get to feed. If you are able to devote the time and attention to get it eating they are gorgeous, and you probably already know this.
IMO you have room for some more fish, but it would also depend on what filtration you are planning.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

Purple tang
Blonde naso tang
Blue line angel
Regal angel
Majestic angel
swallowtail Angel
Blue throat trigger
Anthias group
Yellow tail wrasse
china wrasse
Flasher wrasse
copperband butterfly
Two Diamind gobies

Cheers,
chris
How deep do you plan for the sandbed to be?
Also, I’ve edited some as well as put them into the order you would want to introduce them;
- 2-3 different Flasher Wrasses (Honestly, I would try bumping this to 4 if possible)
- 3-4 Fairy Wrasses
————————————
- Copperband
- Regal Angel
- Yellow Tail Wrasse
- China Wrasse
- 1-2 Macropharyngodon species
—————————————
- Swallowtail Angel
- Majestic Angel
- Anthias
- Blue Line Angel
- Blonde Naso Tang
- Blue Throat Trigger & Purple Tang
—————————————
- Diamond Goby

The fish under each dotted line you will want to wait Atleast 6 months before introducing and with the third line I can give you more confirmation on if this is a good idea depending on your depth of sandbed. And if it is a good idea then I will also give you an idea of when you will want to introduce one (or two but again, Sand bed depth matters along with the width and height of the tank).

OP
OP
14crazychris

14crazychris

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How deep do you plan for the sandbed to be?
Also, I’ve edited some as well as put them into the order you would want to introduce them;
- 2-3 different Flasher Wrasses (Honestly, I would try bumping this to 4 if possible)
- 3-4 Fairy Wrasses
————————————
- Copperband
- Regal Angel
- Yellow Tail Wrasse
- China Wrasse
- 1-2 Macropharyngodon species
—————————————
- Swallowtail Angel
- Majestic Angel
- Anthias
- Blue Line Angel
- Blonde Naso Tang
- Blue Throat Trigger & Purple Tang
—————————————
- Diamond Goby

The fish under each dotted line you will want to wait Atleast 6 months before introducing and with the third line I can give you more confirmation on if this is a good idea depending on your depth of sandbed. And if it is a good idea then I will also give you an idea of when you will want to introduce one (or two but again, Sand bed depth matters along with the width and height of the tank).

This is super helpful thank you! The tank will be filled tomorrow, I will try and get some pictures uploaded. The sand bed is about 2 inches deep. I really like your idea on the wrasse side of things. Which was my other option and that is to have a tank with just purely wrasse in it. This would also alow me to have my macro algae species. However I'm not sure if the same species would fight? If I were to go all wrasse I'd probably want in the region of 25 Wrasse. Does this idea sound feasible?

The Dimension of the tank are 8x3x2.5

Thanks

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, the tank is full and has quite a few corals in, maybe it’s time to start a tank thread! I have decided to go for the wrasse option
1. Yes! We need a tank build thread
2. Photos of those wrasses are a must when/if you have them!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, if you want help with Paracheilinus, Cirrhilabrus and Halichoeres species then there are a few articles, the Cirrhilabrus and Halichoeres are from me however the Paracheilinus article is from a fellow wrasse lover, SaltyT.

OP
OP
14crazychris

14crazychris

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, if you want help with Paracheilinus, Cirrhilabrus and Halichoeres species then there are a few articles, the Cirrhilabrus and Halichoeres are from me however the Paracheilinus article is from a fellow wrasse lover, SaltyT.
Awesome I will have a read! I have also started my tank thread here for those wanting to follow along

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back