44 gallon brute trashcan saltwater mixing

crimble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I have a 44gallon brute trashcan that holds approximately 40 gallons, I wanna use it to mix saltwater, what pump do people usually use for this set up? Thanks in advance, I'm new to the hobby and also new to reef2reef

topjimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I have a 44gallon brute trashcan that holds approximately 40 gallons, I wanna use it to mix saltwater, what pump do people usually use for this set up? Thanks in advance, I'm new to the hobby and also new to reef2reef
If you are just going to make salt in it, any powerhead will work.

OP
OP
C

crimble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are just going to make salt in it, any

If you are just going to make salt in it, any powerhead will work.
I'm trying to find which one people recommend and use the most with this setup, I don't want to buy too small of one and it doesn't mix properly or slow, I would like to make a one time buy, do you mix your salt in a 44gallon brute?

tobster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3538.png
I use this from Amazon. Works great. Yes I use a 44 gallon brute.

Fish_Fry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the hobby & to R2R.

You didn't ask about it specifically, but since you are new I figured I'd mention it.

You'll also need a way to transfer water from the brute to your tank. There are a kit of different options, but I use a Sicce Ultra Zero Pump. It has the intake on the bottom. The benefit of which is that it leaves very little water in the container.

tobster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thankyou for the info! How long have you been using it for now?
I’ve had this one since February. It’s a strong power head and it’s cheap. I use Instant Ocean so I do have to clean it with a brush every few weeks.
I also have the Sicce ultra zero for pumping the water out and into the tank like Fish Fry said. That was great buy after hauling 5 gallon buckets from garage to tank.

OP
OP
C

crimble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You didn't ask about it specifically, but since you are new I figured I'd mention it.

You'll also need a way to transfer water from the brute to your tank. There are a kit of different options, but I use a Sicce Ultra Zero Pump. It has the intake on the bottom. The benefit of which is that it leaves very little water in the container.
Thankyou for that info do you keep your Pump in there 24/7 or just when you do water changes?

OP
OP
C

crimble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had this one since February. It’s a strong power head and it’s cheap. I use Instant Ocean so I do have to clean it with a brush every few weeks.
I also have the Sicce ultra zero for pumping the water out and into the tank like Fish Fry said. That was great buy after hauling 5 gallon buckets from garage to tank.
I use instant ocean reef crystals, why do you have to clean it so often does it have some sort of build up? Also do you run the power head 24/7 or just for the salt to mix also do you keep your water heated the whole time? I don't se my saltwater sitting in the reservoir longer than 4-6 weeks at a time

Fish_Fry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually leave it in there dry.

My workflow:
1) mix salt water in the basement
2) pump upstairs to brute
3) siphon from tank into another brute
4) refill tank with Sicce Ultra Zero
5) use same pump to dispose of old tank water.

Admittedly, going from tank to container to sink is inefficient, but my sink can't accommodate a python attachment & this method also allows me to make sure I'm not siphoning a bunch of sand down the drain.

OP
OP
C

crimble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going to be mixing my salt in the 44gallon brute and it'll be stored there too, do yall keep your circulation pump and a heater running 24/7 in your saltwater reservoir? Or do you just use it to mix the salt and turn everything off to store it? Also do you just leave the sicce ultra zero in the storage tank?

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Sicce Syncra pump and just leave it on the bottom pointed straight up. I have found that it puts off enough heat that a heater isn't needed. It runs 24X7 since I do AWCs all week long.

OP
OP
C

crimble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Sicce Syncra pump and just leave it on the bottom pointed straight up. I have found that it puts off enough heat that a heater isn't needed. It runs 24X7 since I do AWCs all week long.
Thanks for the info!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I used to use a sicce Voyager but now have a mixing station

jonelder68

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if you have the space or heard about mixing stations? This is my version of one. Top is RO water, bottom is salt mixing bin, and right small can is ATO reservoir. Pump mixing bottom salt bin and when ready I can pump it to the tank with hose (not installed yet in pictures)

Attachments

• IMG_6777.jpeg
    IMG_6777.jpeg
    150.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_6776.jpeg
    IMG_6776.jpeg
    189.4 KB · Views: 22

topjimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to find which one people recommend and use the most with this setup, I don't want to buy too small of one and it doesn't mix properly or slow, I would like to make a one time buy, do you mix your salt in a 44gallon brute?
55 gallon drum, I use a maxijet 1200. Though I might start using the mag drive I have.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 185 73.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.7%
Back