OP
OP
BirdGuy21

BirdGuy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could. There are so many variables and just sitting in a container can add 10 TDS. Getting 526 down to 10 is pretty good I bet. If the membrane and resin are old I would replace them going forward. That is a high TDS to start with so they will wear sooner. For perspective my tap is roughly 35 TDS.

Would either of those buckets be safe to use with 74 & 10 TDS? Will buy new filters for the unit. Wow 35 vs 526- my water is dirty.

Trying to figure out the reef keeper controller...

OP
OP
BirdGuy21

BirdGuy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
The RO/DI system.

OP
OP
BirdGuy21

BirdGuy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still need to learn the ins and outs of it. Today was a crazy day.

So the hiccup we had was not counting on displacement. We swapped the substrate out to the 40lbs of the Fiji Pink- turns out that the old sub must have been more than 40 lb. We were out of water and the tank wasn’t filled past the overflows. Water was getting cold in the buckets so time was of the essence.

So we’re scrambling around trying to make water and heat it up fast, but obviously to no avail. So the temporary fix was to place some of the old dry rock in the tank to make up for the loss of the extra substrate. I know, not the best and I want to get it out ASAP before it turns into an annomnia and nitrate factory. But it did the job for now until I can get the water up and running.

Surpsingly everyone survived the ordeal, at least so far. Thanks goby has re-dug his hole and age a piece of soaked krill this evening.

So as to the water, I have it sitting covered in the bucket with the heater overnight. Hoping it will be okay to use TDS wise to make saltwater tomorrow and add to the tank and rake out the excess dry rock. What is the highest acceptable TDS reading that won’t harm the tank?

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still need to learn the ins and outs of it. Today was a crazy day.

So the hiccup we had was not counting on displacement. We swapped the substrate out to the 40lbs of the Fiji Pink- turns out that the old sub must have been more than 40 lb. We were out of water and the tank wasn’t filled past the overflows. Water was getting cold in the buckets so time was of the essence.

So we’re scrambling around trying to make water and heat it up fast, but obviously to no avail. So the temporary fix was to place some of the old dry rock in the tank to make up for the loss of the extra substrate. I know, not the best and I want to get it out ASAP before it turns into an annomnia and nitrate factory. But it did the job for now until I can get the water up and running.

Surpsingly everyone survived the ordeal, at least so far. Thanks goby has re-dug his hole and age a piece of soaked krill this evening.

So as to the water, I have it sitting covered in the bucket with the heater overnight. Hoping it will be okay to use TDS wise to make saltwater tomorrow and add to the tank and rake out the excess dry rock. What is the highest acceptable TDS reading that won’t harm the tank?

There are people who use tap regularly, so in a pinch you do what you must. I usually keep a couple of gallons of distilled water handy too for emergencies. Always happens when you move a tank. You need more water than you expect. Every time.

OP
OP
BirdGuy21

BirdGuy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are people who use tap regularly, so in a pinch you do what you must. I usually keep a couple of gallons of distilled water handy too for emergencies. Always happens when you move a tank. You need more water than you expect. Every time.

I will try and make my first batch of salt today, then! :)

I know, I should have thought of that. I will definitely be getting some backup distilled water just in case of emergencies.

On the list today is to get that excess rock out of there, learn how to hook up the reef keeper controller, ATO, and protein skimmers.

OP
OP
BirdGuy21

BirdGuy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a good idea. I don’t have the capacity for 150 gallons but I think I could keep at least 15 or so just in case of emergencies.

Is it possible to store premixed saltwater?

OP
OP
BirdGuy21

BirdGuy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so what am I doing wrong with my skimmers? The cups keep filling and they overflow?

image.jpg

Made five gallons of saltwater and added it to the tank- took out some extra rock. Is my tank too full?

image.jpg

Also- goby jumped out sometime today, found him on the floor. Don’t know when he would have done it, had the screen on all day today. Must have jumped through a tiny gap.

Last edited:

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so what am I doing wrong with my skimmers? The cups keep filling and they overflow?

image.jpg

Made five gallons of saltwater and added it to the tank- took out some extra rock. Is my tank too full?

image.jpg

Also- goby jumped out sometime today, found him on the floor. Don’t know when he would have done it, had the screen on all day today. Must have jumped through a tiny gap.

I am not familiar with this skimmer, but is there an air intake on it? To skim drier you want to have less air intake.

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. So if that’s out of the water what could I be screwing up? Is my tank too full now?

On my skimmer the air intake controls how wet or dry it skims. I like it pretty dry, so I turn it all the way until it is closed then open it up just a little. If I run too wet, my ATO starts running and my salinity drops.

OP
OP
BirdGuy21

BirdGuy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The red tube does twist but even with it the furthest closed the cup still fills with water within thirty seconds. Hmmm. Could it be the level of water in my tank? How high should the water in the back overflow be? Mine is almost matching the level of water in the main tank.

Muttley000

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know that skimmer either but can you turn the water flow down to it? Sitting in too much water could effect it too, it does seem like the back chamber should be lower than the tank

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My overflow chamber is about 2” lower than the display and the return chamber about 1/2” below the overflow. If your back compartments are all the same as your display, you may have overfilled.

OP
OP
BirdGuy21

BirdGuy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know that skimmer either but can you turn the water flow down to it? Sitting in too much water could effect it too, it does seem like the back chamber should be lower than the tank

I’m thinking I can but not sure quite how. I’ll have to mess around with it. I think it’s time for me to find a “How protein skimmers work” article, haha.

Will having them off this long drastically affect the tank?

My overflow chamber is about 2” lower than the display and the return chamber about 1/2” below the overflow. If your back compartments are all the same as your display, you may have overfilled.

Hmm. My back compartments are the same level as the display. But when I took some water out the one chamber lowered significantly, but the other side remained level with the tank? Could it be that only running one pump for the output nozzles is affecting it?

Sorry, this is a real dumb question I’m sure hah.

I have this same ro/di filter

spoiler, it's a pain to replace the chambers on this thing, do NOT lose the wrench either.

Do you like it? Just had a panic moment wondering if I got the wrench. Thankfully my girlfriend is more observant than I am sometimes and reassured me it’s there, haha.

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking I can but not sure quite how. I’ll have to mess around with it. I think it’s time for me to find a “How protein skimmers work” article, haha.

Will having them off this long drastically affect the tank?

Hmm. My back compartments are the same level as the display. But when I took some water out the one chamber lowered significantly, but the other side remained level with the tank? Could it be that only running one pump for the output nozzles is affecting it?

Sorry, this is a real dumb question I’m sure hah.

Do you like it? Just had a panic moment wondering if I got the wrench. Thankfully my girlfriend is more observant than I am sometimes and reassured me it’s there, haha.

Running dual returns off of one pump should not be a problem. The overflows should be at the same level however. If they are not I would guess something is restricting the flow on one of them, but I am no expert.

For comparison, I have two different rated pumps for my dual returns (265 GPH and 295 GPH) and have no issues. Both overflows are 2” lower then the display.

When I filled the tank I made sure to fill over the baffles leading to the return chamber (with the pumps running). Then I filled about a half inch more. This is my setup

D7EA4C5D-FC40-475A-8C26-0A98367E733C.jpeg

D5533857-F109-49C4-A862-B96D8D372A55.jpeg

(recent shot, bubbles are because the skimmer cup was off).

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back