OP
OP
BirdGuy21

BirdGuy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The diagram definitely helps, thanks for putting that together. I’m thinking the water level in my tank is way too high, I’m going to have to play around with it.

From your diagram:
Compartment 5 on my take is a refugium growing chaeto. This is the one that was higher than compartment 1 when I lowered the water level. I wonder if some algae is blocking it? Should I be concerned or if that’s the case is it okay?

Compartment 1 for me is a homemade filter sock with a small block of marine pure.

Compartments 2 & 4 are the protein skimmers.

Compartment 3 is the pump and some more marine pure block

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The diagram definitely helps, thanks for putting that together. I’m thinking the water level in my tank is way too high, I’m going to have to play around with it.

From your diagram:
Compartment 5 on my take is a refugium growing chaeto. This is the one that was higher than compartment 1 when I lowered the water level. I wonder if some algae is blocking it? Should I be concerned or if that’s the case is it okay?

Compartment 1 for me is a homemade filter sock with a small block of marine pure.

Compartments 2 & 4 are the protein skimmers.

Compartment 3 is the pump and some more marine pure block

It is possible if it is packed with Chaeto. You only need it about 1/4 to 1/3 full in the basket then when it fills, reduce again.

S_OS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you like it? Just had a panic moment wondering if I got the wrench. Thankfully my girlfriend is more observant than I am sometimes and reassured me it’s there, haha.

It's okay, I payed for what I got. The filters have to be changed a lot quicker than you think, however. This filter will still do you good, however.

OP
OP
BirdGuy21

BirdGuy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's okay, I payed for what I got. The filters have to be changed a lot quicker than you think, however. This filter will still do you good, however.

It came with a bunch of extra medium and a few filters. Still trying to sort through everything and figure out what is what. Good news is my latest batch of RO water came out and held at 0ppm. I’m wondering if shifting the unit and laying it down in the car caused some sediments or particles to shift and they had to be strained or re-filtered out.

OP
OP
BirdGuy21

BirdGuy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First tank shot! No where near where I want it to be scape wise but wanted to post where it’s at now.

D8C7DE73-9C08-4E2D-8E3F-8BDB67A787A5.jpeg

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s actually not a lot that I can see, but I need to get a chair to stand on and dig around to find out what might be at the bottom of that chamber.

Side note on the refugium- How Long should I run the light for the chaeto?

12-18 hours reverse of the display is typical.

OP
OP
BirdGuy21

BirdGuy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reverse as in when the main light is off? I’ll try and get a good picture of the refugium and entire set up tomorrow or this weekend. Still have some tinkering around and experimenting to do.

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reverse as in when the main light is off? I’ll try and get a good picture of the refugium and entire set up tomorrow or this weekend. Still have some tinkering around and experimenting to do.

Yes. It helps balance the pH swing.

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The plants take in CO2 which reduces the CO2 level in the tank. CO2 is a contributing factor on a system’s pH and when CO2 rises, pH drops. Since a system’s pH usually drops at night, having the plants take in CO2 then helps keep the pH up.

Read more here

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-05/rhf/index.php

OP
OP
BirdGuy21

BirdGuy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Duh, that makes sense. I should have thought about that one a little longer before I posted the question. Thanks for the link explaining in more detail. There's so much to learn but that is what really interests me in a SW system. Not saying there isn't a great deal of information out there on FW, but SW takes everything up a notch, it seems. Love the research and piecing bits of information together.

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Duh, that makes sense. I should have thought about that one a little longer before I posted the question. Thanks for the link explaining in more detail. There's so much to learn but that is what really interests me in a SW system. Not saying there isn't a great deal of information out there on FW, but SW takes everything up a notch, it seems. Love the research and piecing bits of information together.

Me too and I forget dumb things all the time.

OP
OP
BirdGuy21

BirdGuy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on the tank for its first real maintenance day.

Checked for nitrates using a Red Sea test kit- looks like it was at .75. Realized though the test kit is expired, so that was a bummer. Not sure how that will affect accuracy. Salinity reading at 1.020 per Milwaukee refractometer. Made a batch of saltwater last night and did a five gallon water change. Decided to check out all that was back in the overflow compartments and see what was clogging up the right overflow chamber.

Facing the tank starting to the left:
-Compartment 1: Filter sock with large chunk of marine pure resting on the bottom
-Compartment 2: Red Devil protein skimmer
-Compartment 3: smaller chunks of marine pure block on bottom, Ponics Pump, Aqueon Pro 200w heater, ATO sensor, grounding probe
-Compartment 4: Red Devil protein skimmer, marine pure block
Compartment 5: Chaeto

As I removed the Marine Pure blocks I found a lot of sediment/silt at the bottom of the chambers. I scooped this out the best I could to improve flow. Also found a ball of chateo wedged between the bottom of compartment 5 and 4- which was causing the overflow back up in those chambers. Got everything situated back in as well as I could. As for my protein skimmers I think I have the one in compartment 2 dial in okay. The second in compartment 4 is making a loud noise and I can't seem to figure out what is causing it.

Overall the tank is looking a bit cloudy with all the moving around of equipment but so far fish look alright.

OP
OP
BirdGuy21

BirdGuy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick evening tank update:

Looks like I’m starting to get some brown algae like growth on the rocks and the substrate. Potentially diatoms? Snails and hermits don’t seem to touch it. Speaking of, I still need to ID my snails. The starfish may be preying on them- I’ve seen him overtop of two shells presumably feeding.

0797E82A-A025-4A44-8870-4D21BECCB7B0.jpeg

299A6410-03FD-4604-9C95-65BC7B7418D1.jpeg

D8059C95-ED34-4FD6-98F8-316C05F2B9DE.jpeg

OP
OP
BirdGuy21

BirdGuy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to check out my favorite LFS for freshwater as they are going out of business. Everything was 50% off so I picked up an API Reef Master Test Kit and scalpel for potential coral frags way down the road? I read several conflicting reviews of the API test kits but figured I'd give it a shot since it was cheap and I realized my Red Sea test kits that came with the tank are expired. According to the API kit Calcium 500, Phosphate 0, and Nitrates at 40ppm! I'm not sure what to think of that one since I have been feeding light and I think my bio-load is pretty small. Any thoughts on this? I did a 5 gal water change on Friday and I only added one new piece of dried rock.

5F911596-19B1-45D7-9C91-745AB2F46172.jpeg

OP
OP
BirdGuy21

BirdGuy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figured I'd post some goals for the tank and my overall understanding of saltwater/reef systems. The amount of info can be overwhelming so I'm trying to break it all down bit by bit and then piece it all back together as I go. I got the tank and equipment used, which I am thankful for, but I can also see the benefit of being able to pick all the equipment out yourself. On the one had I got a great deal on some quality stuff, but on the other it does box me in with what I currently have available. Same goes for getting the tank with livestock already established- nice to have some activity and save money fish wise as I get it squared away, but also adds some pressure to not screw up too bad as to kill the fish. Also really limits or places restrictions on how much I can change and how fast I can move making changes. Anyway, here's a work in progress list of things I want to accomplish on the tank. Not giving myself a time frame per say, but more so a checklist to keep myself from getting too overwhelmed and running in multiple different directions.

-Recalibrate Milwaukee refractometer
-Purchase new test kits. Picked up an API test kit for cheap but want to go with Red Sea down the line for more accuracy.
-Retest/confirm pH, Nitrate, Phosphate, Calcium, & Magnesium
-Test pressure from tap for RO/DI unit. I have a gauge, just need to figure out how to remove the line from the unit to test it.
-Buy thermometer(s) to calibrate my infrared thermometer
-Calibrate/setup RKL temperature probe (thank you @zippgirlRN for sending me the manual)
-Check out the dry live rock that came with the tank, select some for the rescape
-Research/determine if removing my current rock will cause a cycle, or if the MarinePure blocks in my overflows will be enough to sustain it
-Research curing the rock
-Keep dialing in my protein skimmers. So far getting some skim mate
-Determine if my algae growth is diatoms or something else, dial in my lighting schedule
-ID CUC, determine which species and how many to add in the future as I think it's pretty light

For now that's all I can get off the top of my head, but I will definitely be adding to the list. I am sure I forgot probably twenty things that I meant to put on there. Going to update the thread with some tank shots and pics of some of the equipment that came with it.

Back