45 gallon macro algae lagoon build

nickmealey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey R2R!

I've been into reefing for about 7 years now, but I realized I've never posted any of my builds or updates. Time to change that! I've had a lot of fun over the years reading other builds and I'd like to contribute.

I'm currently working on 3 different builds, but the one I'd like to share is a lagoon style tank I recently picked up that I'm targeting for macro algae, gorgonias, mangroves, and the like. I recently found a custom made shallow tank in the area and picked it up a couple days ago. This one is going in our work office. The reason I decided on macro algae is because as an office tank, I'd like to keep things simple. Also it seems a bit unique and I like the change from a coral focused tank. I haven't seen many displays that really catch my eye, but the semi-recent tank of the month was inspiring.

Tank dimensions: w:36" x d:24" x h:12" (45 gal)

For the aquascape, I really wanted to go for something that is very "lagoony". Deep(ish) sand bed on a slope with NSA type rockwork protruding from the water to get that split level feel.

Equipment is pretty straightforward:
- Custom lagoon tank and stand
- RO VarioS return pump
- AI Nero
- Deltec skimmer
- Fiji cube sump
- Twinstar 600SP (planted tank light)

As for fish, I'd love some input. I'm fairly determined to keep this tank open top (rock and mangroves). I realize no lid is a general no-go, but I'm really going for it :) I had thought about trying a bunch of blue/green chromis. Since there will be little to no coral in tank, I'm not worried so much of nippy fish. I do have a bit more swimming room than a typical 45 gal because it's so shallow (3 ft).

Today I got the tank setup and wet. Will be seeding with live rock and take some more photos of the finished aquascape tomorrow. Here's what I have so far:

IMG_0599.JPG

OP
OP
nickmealey

nickmealey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cycle has begun :) Used some live rock from another tank to get things seeded. Really happy with how the scape came together. Got everything plugged in, installed, and organized (no leaks so far ;)). I'm digging these small cable clips that keep the wiring nice but also simple. Water is a bit cloudy but running some filter floss and carbon to hopefully clear things up a bit. Now just waiting for the light to come.

C8A138D1-4418-443C-9A97-055121D539BA_1_105_c.jpeg
EDF97058-77AC-43EF-9FF6-CF0A3A5E45E0_1_105_c.jpeg
AB4A98DE-3C61-4D89-AEE0-F19F882F01C1_1_105_c.jpeg

OP
OP
nickmealey

nickmealey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also side note: I got this 10 gal tank at Petco for $10 that I'm using for an ATO container. Combined with the lid it makes for a nice fit for the size of the stand.

OP
OP
nickmealey

nickmealey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for fish stocking options. I currently have a single hooded fairy wrasse in the tank. Some options I'm thinking about:
- Purple firefish
- Shrimp goby
- Jester goby
- Red/green mandarin
- Pipefish
- Filefish

rharter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is looking great! I love the openness.

On an unrelated note, what's that light on the wall? It looks beautiful!

OP
OP
nickmealey

nickmealey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is looking great! I love the openness.

On an unrelated note, what's that light on the wall? It looks beautiful!
They lights are called Helios Touch. Funny enough I think the company is going out of business, but they're pretty cool!

OP
OP
nickmealey

nickmealey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Entering the full swing ugly phase for sure. So far all the macro, sea fans, and coral are doing just fine so time to just ride things out and wait for things to settle.
Screen Shot 2021-07-21 at 9.44.28 AM.png

OP
OP
nickmealey

nickmealey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diatoms all gone now, which is awesome. I'm hoping the macro algae really helps keep things at bay. I've been adding a bunch of live stock with more on the way. My favorite so far is a Yasha Shrimp goby and a snapping shrimp. They've got a nice cove going and seem to be doing well.

Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 10.18.02 PM.png

OP
OP
nickmealey

nickmealey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lid on! Unfortunately a few days too late as I had some chalk bass jump on me. Funny how impatience always ready to bite in this hobby. I should have just waited for the lid first before getting those fish, and I should know by now right? Anyway, I'm happy how the lid turned out!
336CFBAA-B7F3-45A4-9C4E-B7C8D887AF53_1_105_c.jpeg
587F9D59-DACA-4D61-8FA6-5DE75345DEEA_1_105_c.jpeg

Nebunu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The concept is awseome, onestly. This is for sure a future ideea for me as well. And looking more than great.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • None.

Votes: 29 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.8%
Back