OP
TheShrimpNibbler

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, my order from reef cleaners can in last week and they have been acclimated to my invert qt. They will be moving out in the beginning of November. Several snails didn’t make it, but the rest are doing good. I was also able to get a pair of flame hawks off of divers den. They are doing amazing, and I will begin their copper treatment tonight. I have had less time for tank maintenance lately now that I’m back in school, but I try to clean it when I can. I’m still having a little trouble with algae, but it’s getting better.
I did get permission to add a sump, so I’m saving up to do a diy in a 20 long. I have it planned out for the most part, I just need to save up a little more. If I do this, I will be able to move my Chaeto down there and add a skimmer. I’m excited about the possibilities!
I will try to get pics of the snails in a little while.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good. I am thinking about the flame hawks as well. I want a red fish, but I am also looking at a Mccorskers Wrasse.
Sumps make it so much easier.

OP
OP
TheShrimpNibbler

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good. I am thinking about the flame hawks as well. I want a red fish, but I am also looking at a Mccorskers Wrasse.
Sumps make it so much easier.
I really like the flame hawks and I don’t think you will be disappointed of you go with them.
I’ve always heard how great sumps are, and I hate this Chaeto taking up half of my tank. It makes it about impossible to get my flow right. I think the only thing I’m undecided on at this point is the return pump.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to replace mine as well. It's oversized due to originally planning a 120. I have been looking at hawks for a while. They look awesome, but I also want an active fish that is out and about, but a 32 is a little small. I don't know when the upgrade will happen. Might be next summer, so I might hold off on the wrasse and do a hawk now. My fuge is awesome. I use it as a mechanical filter as well. No more socks. Just be sure to have snails and crabs in it that will eat all of the detritus.

OP
OP
TheShrimpNibbler

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m finally getting ready to order some things to add a sump, but I have a few questions first. Because I’m having to use an hob overflow box, I want to make sure that I take plenty of precautions to ensure that there are no leaks or disasters. My plan is to use an eshopps pf overflow box of some sort. Do you all think that it would be safe to drill a hole in the back of one of these to run an emergency drain line down to the sump in case the main drain gets clogged? Or would it be better to get to get the pf1000 with two built in drain holes and only use one of the u tubes? Or should I get the pf1000 and drill a hole in the back so that I can do a modified bean animal?
If I need to post this in a separate thread, that’s fine, I just thought that I would ask here first.

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be safer to empty the tank into a plastic garbage can and drill the tank...assuming it non-tempered glass.

If you want a HOB then I would go with the pf1000 so you have two drains but use two u tubes. Why do you only want to use one?

OP
OP
TheShrimpNibbler

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be safer to empty the tank into a plastic garbage can and drill the tank...assuming it non-tempered glass.

If you want a HOB then I would go with the pf1000 so you have two drains but use two u tubes. Why do you only want to use one?
First of all, thank you for the help.
I would love to try and drain my tank and drill it, but there are a couple things in the way. First, I don’t know how I would catch all of my fish. I guess I could leave a little water in the bottom for my goby and firefish to stay in, but I would need to catch my clowns and royal gramma. I wouldn’t be able to remove my sand bed, so the tank would have to remain upright, in my bedroom, which would mean I couldn’t use a hose on it. Is there any way that you can think of that this might still work? I’ve seen people go very slow and squirt water from a bottle on the drill, but I’m a bit gun shy to try this. I’m also not sure if the tank is tempered or not.
I was only planning to use one u tube because the recommended flow rate for two is well abound 5-10 times my dt size per hour.

OP
OP
TheShrimpNibbler

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should be pretty easy to catch all the fish once the water level is low, or is there something I'm missing?
I have a shrimp goby and pistol shrimp that do not mind completely burying themselves in the sand, so catching them would be nearly impossible. I would fairly easily be able to catch the rest of my fish. As long as you all think it would be safe to drill the tank standing up with an inch or two of water left in the bottom, then that is fine with me, I’m just not sure how safe that is. Do you think that that would work?

Back